Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: Typhoon

Post by marktigger »

they are still the aircraft apprentices train on from what mates who went through there said they were up to latest mod specifications

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

shark bait wrote:
marktigger wrote:
SoTT's replacing all those Jaguars which were alledged to have been kept modified to latest standards
Still maintaining jaguars?
They are used to train aircraft maintainers. They aren't fly able.

-Eddie-
United Kingdom

Post by -Eddie- »

BAE's Typhoon test pilot, Nat, tweeted this today.

Didn't know it could do those kinds of speeds (obviously clean) :shock:

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

-Eddie- wrote:BAE's Typhoon test pilot, Nat, tweeted this today.

Its been clocked at Mach 2 before I believe, its a powerful beast!
@LandSharkUK

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

-Eddie- wrote:BAE's Typhoon test pilot, Nat, tweeted this today.

Typhoon has been noted to be capable of more than Mach 2. Some numbers I once saw were saying that at higher ceilings it could push past Mach 2.35. If you look at the speeds the Su-30 can manage at those heights, the precise numbers match up with the Typhoon, showing that yes, the Consortium is not stating its top speed. Hell, there's even been sources from the Consortium noting it capable of Mach 1.5 supercruise with an interceptor loadout. (My personal theory? 1.5 was just in a short dash, more likely persistent supercruise with such a loadout is probably more like 1.3)

Funnily enough, everyone forgets that "speed in supercruise" is a meaningless number compared to how long you can maintain it.

Anyway, some news, quoting out the Typhoon related bits.

New Finn, Danish Leaders To Lead Fighter Picks

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /28421615/
The new Danish government is expected to examine the fighter replacement program and selection process in August. The Lockheed Martin F-35A, Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet and the Eurofighter Typhoon remain in the race for the estimated $4.5 billion contract. The three manufacturers have been asked by the MoD's Project Office to present bids for 24, 30 and 36 combat aircraft.

The Finnish government has dispelled speculation that its deepening defense cooperation with Sweden advances the cause of the Gripen in its fighter replacement program.

Defense Minister Jussi Niinistö described the competition as "open," echoing the views of predecessor Carl Haglund, who stated that the Gripen, despite strong lobbying by Sweden, holds "no special status within the selection process. Cost and performance must take precedence in this investment."

Other candidate aircraft include the French Dassault Rafale, the F-35 Lightning II, the F/A-18E Super Hornet and the Eurofighter Typhoon. No Russian aircraft are being considered.
E. Europe Allies Eye Fighter, Helo Tenders

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /28375675/
Meanwhile, Bulgaria is aiming to launch its much-awaited tender for new fighter jets by the end of June, according to Defense Minister Nikolay Nenchev. Following a meeting of the Bulgarian parliament's Defense Committee, Nenchev told local news agency BGNES that the ministry will submit a proposal to the cabinet this month.

The Bulgarian Air Force aims to acquire 16 combat aircraft to replace its Mikoyan MiG-21 fighters, and has shortlisted three offers, according to local media reports: a US bid of F-16s that have been withdrawn from service, the Eurofighter Typhoon, and Swedish company Saab's JAS 39 Gripen.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

RetroSicotte wrote:
E. Europe Allies Eye Fighter, Helo Tenders
Both are the perfect customer for the eurofighter, which looks more attractive now more than ever. Especially for air policing its well proven at intercepting the Russians and with new sensors and Meteor BVRAAM its a good package.
However I worry the F35 will look more attractive and that eurofighter will really struggle from here.
@LandSharkUK

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

I quite agree. F-35 and Gripen have a pretty solid grip on the European market (and in Canada, for that matter).

The Typhoons real "potential" for more sales lie with Kuwait, Bahrain and Peru with hope for a top up order from Saudi Arabia.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

RetroSicotte wrote:I quite agree. F-35 and Gripen have a pretty solid grip on the European market (and in Canada, for that matter).

The Typhoons real "potential" for more sales lie with Kuwait, Bahrain and Peru with hope for a top up order from Saudi Arabia.
The middle east has and continues to show promise.
Peru is of little interest to us though, only the spanish selling their tranche 1. Meanwhile we need to find some one to offload our tranche 1 on to.
Canada would be great to get another western force in the programme, but seems very unlikely to me since they already chose the f35 once before.

Which ever way I look at it the future looks dim. The UK has invested in a forign program, that is designed to kill its native program, and it looks like that may happen
@LandSharkUK

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

shark bait wrote:
RetroSicotte wrote: Meanwhile we need to find some one to offload our tranche 1 on to.
I thought the plan being formulated by the RAF was to keep the Tranche 1 aircraft (with meteor) solely as UK air defence, and use the upgraded Tranche 2&3 as replacements for any cut in the order for the F35.

If the Carriers get just 48 with no more F35's as replacements for the Tornado, I don't see any other choice TBH.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Cooper wrote: I thought the plan being formulated by the RAF was to keep the Tranche 1 aircraft (with meteor) solely as UK air defence, and use the upgraded Tranche 2&3 as replacements for any cut in the order for the F35.

If the Carriers get just 48 with no more F35's as replacements for the Tornado, I don't see any other choice TBH.
I don't think so, I believe the meteor works with AESA radar, which is too heavy for the structure of the tanche 1's to hold.

I think I've seen it that meteor could work on the tranche 1 but it would be far from optimal. Unfortunately it can't take meteor or brimstone, so I really struggle to find a place for tranche 1's. We will be left with a pittyful number of fast jets soon
@LandSharkUK

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Typhoons in Turkey for Ex Anatolian Eagle:

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Saudi Typhoon Buy May Be Delayed
PARIS — A multibillion-pound order for a second tranche of Typhoon combat jets for Saudi Arabia could be delayed due to the recent death of the country's Air Force commander, according to the new boss of the British government's defense and security export arm.
Read More: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /28800547/

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

The Typhoons in the Baltic have been very busy:

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

UK Remains Optimistic Over Further Typhoon Sales
The UK remains positive about further sales of the Eurofighter TYPHOON to countries such as Qatar and India, despite both country’s initial decision to buy the Dassault RAFALE instead, said Stephen Phipson, Head of the Defence and Security Organisation (UKTI DSO) within the British government.

Briefing at the Paris Airshow, Phipson said that although Qatar had opted for 24 RAFALE fighters as the initial replacement aircraft for its Dassault MIRAGE 2000-5s: “It was inevitable that they would buy some RAFALE’s in their 72 fast jet requirement, but we are getting signals that they are still considering whether or not to push forward with TYPHOON. We will give them the option to buy which will probably arise sometime next year.”

Phipson expressed a similar hope over the Indian Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA): “Their requirement is for 126 fast jets. I was in India for meetings all last week [and there can still be] competition for the second and even third tranches.” He highlighted the commitment to assemble and support the BAE Systems HAWK fleet within India which supported the country’s manufacturing aspirations.

There were grounds for further optimism regarding potential sales to Bahrain, neighbour of long standing customer Saudi Arabia. Malaysia was also still regarded as another potential sale, although Phipson said that the Italian government were the lead negotiator regarding that contract. “We have had a meeting at the air show and they assured us the campaign is going really well,” acknowledged Phipson. He said that the ability to provide early deliveries to any new TYPHOON orders was a distinct advantage over other competitors. Regarding ongoing manufacturing, he revealled: “We don’t have to worry until the end of 2016 in terms of its sustainment.”
Read More: http://www.miltechmag.com/2015/06/uk-re ... l?spref=tw

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The Italian Air Force's Reparto Sperimentale Volo (the italian equivalent to 41 Sqn, more or less) is clearing the RECCELITE reconnaissance pod for use on the Typhoon.
It is a reconnaissance system derivative of the Litening targeting pod, and will be the first reconnaissance pod to be used on Typhoon.

Still nothing on those DB110 RAPTORs...?
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:UK Remains Optimistic Over Further Typhoon Sales
The UK remains positive about further sales of the Eurofighter TYPHOON to countries such as Qatar and India, despite both country’s initial decision to buy the Dassault RAFALE instead, said Stephen Phipson, Head of the Defence and Security Organisation (UKTI DSO) within the British government.

Briefing at the Paris Airshow, Phipson said that although Qatar had opted for 24 RAFALE fighters as the initial replacement aircraft for its Dassault MIRAGE 2000-5s: “It was inevitable that they would buy some RAFALE’s in their 72 fast jet requirement, but we are getting signals that they are still considering whether or not to push forward with TYPHOON. We will give them the option to buy which will probably arise sometime next year.”

Phipson expressed a similar hope over the Indian Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA): “Their requirement is for 126 fast jets. I was in India for meetings all last week [and there can still be] competition for the second and even third tranches.” He highlighted the commitment to assemble and support the BAE Systems HAWK fleet within India which supported the country’s manufacturing aspirations.

There were grounds for further optimism regarding potential sales to Bahrain, neighbour of long standing customer Saudi Arabia.
Read More: http://www.miltechmag.com/2015/06/uk-re ... l?spref=tw

The not often quoted "ace" is the the joint maintenance facility for the GCC members, the Saudis also being a member now. Oman and Bahrain would especially benefit form such an arrangement, Qatar being a higher volume operator, but seemingly a seeker of split buys (they obviously expect that not all their policies will be well liked by the supplier nations?).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Gabriele wrote:The Italian Air Force's Reparto Sperimentale Volo (the italian equivalent to 41 Sqn, more or less) is clearing the RECCELITE reconnaissance pod for use on the Typhoon.
It is a reconnaissance system derivative of the Litening targeting pod, and will be the first reconnaissance pod to be used on Typhoon.

While I know you're someone to believe at word, do you have an information source to link? Just to have something stating it outright for my own records.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

RetroSicotte wrote:
Gabriele wrote:The Italian Air Force's Reparto Sperimentale Volo (the italian equivalent to 41 Sqn, more or less) is clearing the RECCELITE reconnaissance pod for use on the Typhoon.

While I know you're someone to believe at word, do you have an information source to link? Just to have something stating it outright for my own records.
Here you go:

A friend tells me they are also working an anti-ship missiles. Didn't not name which one, but i'm 99% sure it is MARTE ER. It is likely related to the talks with Kuwait.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Thanks a bunch, Gabe. Most appreciated.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Isn't that same missile used on frigates. for ASuw?

Too sensible, those Italians
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Isn't that same missile used on frigates. for ASuw?

Too sensible, those Italians
It is used shipboard in its earlier incarnation, the Marte MK2, for the embarked helicopters. The MARTE is the MBDA Italy answer to Sea Skua and Sea Venom. The MARTE ER is the latest development, which is to be capable of use on both helicopters and aircraft, achieving up to 100 km range. It is radar guided instead of IIR like Sea Venom will be.

The ship's surface to surface missiles proper are the Teseo missiles, with its MILAS derivative being the italian answer to ASROC, carrying a MU90 anti-submarine torpedo on a Teseo rocket booster.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

laurencechris

Post by laurencechris »

The RAF has no capability for taking out any surface ship so well done to the Italians for having some sense