Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
BB85
United Kingdom

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Post by BB85 »

Well what else are they going to be used for. First time a missile has been fired in anger since the Falklands war. Imagine it missed 🤣

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Scimitar54 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 19:15 Shame a cannon was not used. It would have been a good bit cheaper !
Actually not....the current stockpile of Asraam is going to be life-expired shortly, replaced by completely new build Asraam Block VI (CSP) from 2022/23 onwards....so by firing this one off we've actually avoided having to pay for it to be safely disposed of...shooting this drone down has actually saved the UK taxpayer money...

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

I hope we aren’t short of ASRAAM until a sufficient stockpile of the new ordnance is established then. Bearing in mind current escalating tensions, it is possible but hopefully not likely, that we could find we need all that we have got (now minus 1) before replacement occurs. :mrgreen:

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Since drones are likely in the future to be developed to be deployed in swarms of up to a hundred
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... pon-176781
The question would be in defending against such swarms that may be in advance of opposition aircraft what else may be used, there is the "Thor "development could such a similar development be carried by aircraft to counter drones electronics
https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tec ... e-mjolnir/
Certainly, Russia has used such experience in Syria to develop new weapons and techniques in using and countering drones is it fair to suggest that this provides some significant advantage over other conventional airforces?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

seaspear wrote: 17 Dec 2021, 21:31 Certainly, Russia has used such experience in Syria to develop new weapons and techniques in using and countering drones is it fair to suggest that this provides some significant advantage over other conventional airforces?
There's lots of speculation around drones and swarms. But one is absolutely clear, no-one has done anywhere close to the work that the US has on swarming drones and defence against swarms.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/ra ... ne-crisis/

The RAF’s contribution is in the form of additional Typhoon FGR4 aircraft, operating from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire and RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus. The Typhoons, armed with state-of-the-art Air-to-Air missiles and a full suite of defensive aids, are patrolling NATO airspace over Poland and Romania, once more demonstrating the UK’s unwavering commitment to the NATO Alliance.

The Typhoons are supported by RAF Voyager Air-to-air refuelling aircraft from RAF Brize Norton, who offer additional fuel for the fighters so enabling greater range and endurance showing the reach of UK air power to support NATO’s defence mission.

clinch
United Kingdom

Post by clinch »

Is it too late to save the Tranche 1 Typhoons following the wake-up call in Ukraine?
These users liked the author clinch for the post:
Jensy

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

clinch wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 16:27 Is it too late to save the Tranche 1 Typhoons following the wake-up call in Ukraine?
A budget increase should definitely be looking at halting such cuts, of it happens

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

If you were gonna do anything like that you would buy new to the latest standard. Mind you if any new money magically appears i probably wouldn’t be spending it on new fighters.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SW1 wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 16:18 The Typhoons are supported by RAF Voyager Air-to-air refuelling aircraft from RAF Brize Norton, who offer additional fuel for the fighters so enabling greater range and endurance showing the reach of UK air power to support NATO’s defence mission.
I would take the opportunity to practise expeditionary airwing ops; of course Voyagers are a sunk cost so using them might be cheaper?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 18:14
SW1 wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 16:18 The Typhoons are supported by RAF Voyager Air-to-air refuelling aircraft from RAF Brize Norton, who offer additional fuel for the fighters so enabling greater range and endurance showing the reach of UK air power to support NATO’s defence mission.
I would take the opportunity to practise expeditionary airwing ops; of course Voyagers are a sunk cost so using them might be cheaper?
Nothing really happens without aar expeditionary or otherwise. I would say you don’t extend your logistics enablers unless you have to.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

The Tranche 1 give us the ability to increase our numbers quicker than building new air frames. That's their real value, I don't think dedicated air 2 air fighters right now would go unwelcome right now but no idea what they would be like in the long run.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Jdam wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 21:56 The Tranche 1 give us the ability to increase our numbers quicker than building new air frames. That's their real value, I don't think dedicated air 2 air fighters right now would go unwelcome right now but no idea what they would be like in the long run.
But they don’t give u the ability to increase the pilots and engineers to operate them. Most were in storage they offer resilience in airframe management. You could increase spares provision to the remaining fleet and up the yearly hours budgeted to them.

Arguably ISTAR, mobility and long range missile systems would be in need of funding first.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

A good place to start would be to give the Red Arrows Tranche 1 Typhies. Get every one in the Air Asap, plenty of scope to get Pilots too. A fair few available who recently left to call upon. A quick fix to get sqd'n numbers up, ripe for future F35 or Tempest replacement. We can't get caught with our trousers down.
These users liked the author Digger22 for the post (total 2):
DaheddLord Jim

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

sophie tw
Angola

Post by sophie tw »

Air-to-air missiles:
AIM-120 AMRAAM (AIM-120C-5/7 planned for P2E)
i think is wrong,p2e is not related to aim
Typhoon use aim-120b, or c?now

Luke jones

Post by Luke jones »

Just read an article that came up on Twitter.

Talking about 80 Typhoon to Turkey, now that F35 has fallen through there.

Anybody else seen or heard about that?

That would be a big old order.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Its on Defensenews, but doesn't really give much details.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... r-efforts/

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Would be built in Turkey under licence, but would still be great news

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

Ha-ha.

Lots & lots of salty replies from the Frogs in the articles comments section.

FWIW, I think the chances of any deal is remote, but if the thought of one, winds up a bunch of Frenchies for months on end at the thought of it, alls good :lol:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

sophie tw wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 10:23 Air-to-air missiles:
AIM-120 AMRAAM (AIM-120C-5/7 planned for P2E)
i think is wrong,p2e is not related to aim
Typhoon use aim-120b, or c?now
UK withdrew AIM-120B an age ago, they were bought originally for the Sea Harrier F/A2 by the Navy but were passed to the RAF when SHAR left service in 2007. Long since life expired. All Amraam in UK service at present are AIM-120C5, AIM-120D deliveries start this year.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
Lord Jim

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

How would Germany feel about the sail of Typhoons to Turkey? Could they put a stop to it, or possibly cause a hold up in spares down the line if they object to the behaviour of the Turkish Government?

I do like the idea of Giving the Red Arrows Typhoons though I would give them twelve brand new Tranche four airframes and then give them a true war role, requiring only a respray of the aircraft or the removal of a coloured shin, which ever is needed.

What I really want to see though is a commitment to install teh AESA radar on all Tranch2 three and TWO aircraft moving forward bringing all Typhoons up to a common standard.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Lord Jim wrote: 13 Mar 2022, 11:24 How would Germany feel about the sail of Typhoons to Turkey? Could they put a stop to it, or possibly cause a hold up in spares down the line if they object to the behaviour of the Turkish Government?

I do like the idea of Giving the Red Arrows Typhoons though I would give them twelve brand new Tranche four airframes and then give them a true war role, requiring only a respray of the aircraft or the removal of a coloured shin, which ever is needed.

What I really want to see though is a commitment to install teh AESA radar on all Tranch2 three and TWO aircraft moving forward bringing all Typhoons up to a common standard.
Turkey are a NATO partner.

We sell them to Saudi Arabia and they are every bit as bad a regime as putins

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Germany is buying F-35 according to DW and Reuters. 35 aircraft for the nuclear mission.

This leaves the way clear for another big Typhoon order...and potentially Typhoon ECR.

Hopefully the Treasury's opposition to an increased defence spend is brushed away. It would be really good for the UK, both RAF and industry, if we ordered 24 Typhoon ECR alongside the German's...keep the line ticking over, develop some tech for Tempest and a huge increase for UK/NATO combat power.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post (total 5):
serge750Lord JimTheLoneRangerSD67ArmChairCivvy