Tide Class Tankers (MARS) (RFA)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
bobp
United Kingdom

Re: MARS (tide class) RFA vessels

Post by bobp »

Nice picture thanks for sharing.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

wonder when they will be tied up like that in UK

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

She is still sailing up and down close to port, which has to be a good thing bearing in mind these are sea trials. Hopefully once completed she will be on her way to the UK.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

I don't think this video has been posted here before.

Tidespring's launching ceremony back in October 2015, just seen it tweeted by NavyLookout:

Seems to have attracted a fair bit of attention in Seoul, shame there's been relatively little attention by the UK media by comparison. Although I'm sure the government is glad that this is keeping "ships built in Korea instead of UK" out of the papers.

Anyone here speak Korean by any chance? :lol:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I see she is still showing as Sea trials on AIS.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Tankers initially designed in Norway, design militarized by a British company, built in S Korea to be finished in Falmouth. All at a very reasonable price. Whats not to like?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Ron5 wrote:Tankers initially designed in Norway, design militarized by a British company, built in S Korea to be finished in Falmouth. All at a very reasonable price. Whats not to like?
Indeed, all seems to be going very well so far. Assuming delivery and acceptance is nice and smooth I think we can expect it as a model to follow in the future, in particular for the solid support ships.
@LandSharkUK

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

She is still sailing up and down the coast of South Korea Appears to be moving quite slowly but is a lot closer to the coast today.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Tidespring still sailing happily off the coast of Korea doing 18.4 Knots when I last looked her ETA back in port is the 13th.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Tidespring currently stationary, she is due to re-dock at the shipyard tomorrow at 13-30 local time.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Can anyone confirm that the RFA crew who are going to deliver the vessel to the UK, are the ones who are conducting the sea trials. Not heard any mention of them being flown out. Then again we get very little news from the MOD on this subject.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

All I know is its the manufacturers trials, Can only guess who else is on board, I would think there has to be MOD representatives and RFA learning to sail her. Once trials are complete and any snags completed hope to see her on way to UK

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Tidespring has arrived back in the dockyard after two weeks of trials.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Arrival in Falmouth delayed from June to "between mid August and mid September". http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/14 ... in_summer/
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Thanks Gabriele I wonder why the delay. Initially it was due for delivery to A&P for final completion in December. An August/September date makes her nine months late.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Mark will blame Bae :-)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

nope couldn't possibly be BaE they've been built and are fairly close to budget and timescale!

have the RFA got sufficient crew to provide for delivery.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The late 2015 was misreported. Its always been spring 2016, which June just fits into according to google!
@LandSharkUK

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i'm sure after trials there will be some snagging to do.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

was thinking this morning if anything goes wrong with these ships from inital teething troubles to normal wear and tear it is going to be blown so much out of proportion by the british media because they were built overseas.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:nope couldn't possibly be BaE they've been built and are fairly close to budget and timescale!

The original plan was to have a dedicated crew who will deliver each vessel as they become available.Not heard anything to the contrary, so believe it must still stand. Makes sense as each vessel will go to Falmouth for fitment of UK gear,the delivery crew can then be used on other jobs for the six months before they are reformed ready to bring the next one home.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

marktigger wrote:was thinking this morning if anything goes wrong with these ships from inital teething troubles to normal wear and tear it is going to be blown so much out of proportion by the british media because they were built overseas.
I'm not convinced the media nor the public give a shit about an RFA vessel, nor would even know what one was!

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

jonas wrote:
marktigger wrote:nope couldn't possibly be BaE they've been built and are fairly close to budget and timescale!

The original plan was to have a dedicated crew who will deliver each vessel as they become available.Not heard anything to the contrary, so believe it must still stand. Makes sense as each vessel will go to Falmouth for fitment of UK gear,the delivery crew can then be used on other jobs for the six months before they are reformed ready to bring the next one home.
I'm sure various vested interests will be very quick to spin it in the media be it Builders, unions etc

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

marktigger wrote:
jonas wrote:

I'm sure various vested interests will be very quick to spin it in the media be it Builders, unions etc
I was talking about the delivery not the media, I think maybe your reply should be in regards to DS post not mine.