Military Flying Training

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.

arfah
Niue

Re: Military Flying Training

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Not sure how this is all meant to work out, but does this mean we are now providing basic flight training to our prospective pilots wholly through PFI? If so, what is the risk to professional standards? The thought of training being taken out of the hands of the forces unnerves me no end.

Also, how do the sums work on this? The package is meant to replace the Short Tucanos, right? That was quite a large fleet back in its day so i'm not sure how this package is meant to cover the requirement given its relatively modest proportions? Like i said, i don't know much about this so if someone who does know could clarify things for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

That's something i guess. I would imagine the RAF will evaluate the course at points to make sure the set curriculum is being taught to the desired levels and or is producing the desired standard? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid or overly-speculative question - i'm just curious as to how this is all meant to work out.

Yep, im totally confused on how they will make the numbers work out. It's a big training fleet to replace. The only thing i can think of is a major shift to sim based stuff?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

^ Thanks. Seems to raise just as many questions as it provides answers. Another 'wait and see' job i guess!

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

This abortion is purely financially driven and will end in tears.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Exact same number of aircraft as was expected pre SDSR 2015 despite promise to uplift the training fleet element. Only change is the number of instructors, significantly higher than expected pre SDSR.

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot ... -next.html

Also, the MOD announcement carefully avoids mentioning that Basic Training is expected to leave Linton for Valley, meaning that, with No 1 FTS gone, the whole base at Linton might become part of the land the MOD tries to sell off...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

In your blog post Gabriele it looks as if a huge number of training hours are going to be lost? If so, surely this is a massive concern and will only serve to impact on pilot quality???

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Simulators, simulators, simulators. That is the new mantra. Kind of surprised that only the Multi Engine course expects to go to 50% simulation and more (58% expected). 50% seems to be the most commonly heard target value these days.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Ah i see, so the figures on the chart included on your blog was only in relation to actual, in-air flight time?

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Good luck getting those FTRS QFIs to move from Linton to Valley. Not. A. Fucking. Chance. :lol:

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i know the advanced training and weapons training are inhouse with Hawk 120srs are any of the original T1a's still used or is it only the Arrows and 100sqn using them?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

marktigger wrote:i know the advanced training and weapons training are inhouse with Hawk 120srs are any of the original T1a's still used or is it only the Arrows and 100sqn using them?
208(R) Sqn still delivers training with the Hawk T1, but it avoided disbandment in 2012 basically only thanks to foreign pilots training deals in the Gulf. Even though it still gets plenty of british pilots training, actually. Which suggests IV Sqn isn't, for whatever reason, able to do all on its own even if it was expected to.

The sundown of Hawk T1 in the training role is ongoing. In the latest plan, British pilots should stop training on the Hawk T1 "early" this year, while the training of foreign students is expected to be over in December. Long delayed passage to T2 only training.
So, 208 Sqn might have few days of glory left after celebrating its 100 years in October.
Unless it lives on as the next Basic Flight Training sqn (and then it is 72(R) that disbands).

Also, it seems that the Elementary Flying Training at RAF Wittering won't last long. 16(R) and 115(R) have moved into Wittering last year, but Elementary Flying training under the new contract is expected to be based only in Cranwell and Barkston. So Wittering will say goodbye to flying squadrons again, within just a few years (except perhaps University Air Sqn and AEF)

Expect several squadrons to vanish. Several of the current 703 NAS, 674 AAC, 16(R), 57(R), 115(R), 72(R) and 208(R), can be expected to go if the fleets are going to be that tiny. Wonder what happens to the grading passage and thus to 676 AAC and 727 NAS. With just 23 Prefect for everything, there will have to be a serious contraction.

No mention of what Stage 2 Rear Crew training will imply, either. Currently Stage 1 is active, which is 703 NAS ----> 750 NAS delivering Royal Navy observers and, i believe, a number of RAF rear crews. Supposedly, in 2018 a Stage 2 system was to be operational, accounting for RAF needs. Which, if the SDSR 2015 promises about P-8, Shadow and Sentry hold still, will be sizeable.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Are we expecting new equipment with this one ?
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

32 is more than I was expecting after the fixed wing fleet is shrinking so much.

New aircraft are Eurocopter H135 and H145.

The Army Air Corps should be banging on the door for a good deal on the Squirrel to replace Gazelle
IMG_20160520_215555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@LandSharkUK

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

the 145 would be better

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »