Indian Armed Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
ThreeHeadedLion
United Kingdom

Re: Indian Armed Forces

Post by ThreeHeadedLion »

serge750 wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 21:53 i read on twitter a F18 took off from an indian ski jump with 2 harpoons this month, cant link it, anybody know if it was a full fuel load etc....thanks
It flew with half tank of fuel and 1.4 ton payload - 2 harpoons and two AAMs, from what I have read.
ArmChairCivvy wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 09:13
serge750 wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 21:53 F18 took off from an indian ski jump with 2 harpoons
Interesting from two points of view: will they have EMALS (then this experiment would remain just that, an interesting experiment.

Second, their Flankers can carry Brahmos for anti-ship use... so how far out is the Indian navy planning to operate with their carriers?
- they did show interest in DG (in case the US decides to 'vacate')
Not quite. The requirement is very real. The Migs are have operational availability of around 30% and also keep having engine blowouts on training sorties. At this time their carrier is no more than a live training platform. They require western standard jets to turn it into a real war fighting platform.

As for the role of the carriers, they have rather modest aims of being able to blockade the energy and weapons flows in Arabian sea if even needed.

For southern Indian Ocean, as you rightly mention, the Flankers can play a role from the air bases dotted along the 4th and 5th island chains and A&N islands.
These users liked the author ThreeHeadedLion for the post:
serge750

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

Am rapidly approaching my 7th decade and was afraid I wouldn't live to see this:

Somebody tell me that's not an Alouette 3 in the background, aft the Mig29!
These users liked the author 2HeadsBetter for the post:
serge750

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

2HeadsBetter wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 17:59 Am rapidly approaching my 7th decade and was afraid I wouldn't live to see this:

Somebody tell me that's not an Alouette 3 in the background, aft the Mig29!
The Indians have managed to achieve something Russia has not been able to do for the last few decades - design, build and deliver a new aircraft carrier.

xav

Post by xav »

India To Procure Rafale M, More Scorpene Submarines
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to France from July 13 - 14 at the invitation of French President Emmanuel Macron has culminated with multiple significant announcements regarding defense cooperation, specifically in the naval sector.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... ubmarines/
These users liked the author xav for the post:
serge750

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

Can't wait to see those Rafales launching off a ski ramp.

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

2HeadsBetter wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 17:03 Can't wait to see those Rafales launching off a ski ramp.
Would be interesting to see if they can - and with what load. Will the IAF Rafales be getting more powerful engines?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

2HeadsBetter wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 17:59 Somebody tell me that's not an Alouette 3 in the background, aft the Mig29!
The French Navy only retired them from Plane Guard duties on CdG a year or 2 ago..

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

India to send P8 aircraft and 3 destroyers to patrol against supposed Houthi attacks in Indian Ocean / Gulf of Aden. Not clear exactly what area they will be covering and whether working alone or as part of a multinational Maritime Task Force.

But it is a start in getting one of the main non-aligned nations to start bearing this load. Next we could do with the likes of Egypt and Saudi Arabia contributing too to protecting international shipping, even if separate from US-led Operation Prosperity Guardian.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/i ... s-continue
These users liked the author wargame_insomniac for the post:
serge750

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Unlikey Saudia Arabia, or Egypt will join any task force whose sole purpose is to protect shipping to Israel.

The Houthi have been clear in that they will only target vessels going to Israel only. While there is a side effect of an economic cost to Egypt of transit fees for non-Israel bound ships skipping the canal, they will simply ride it out, rather than get into a pickle with "anyone" on the "behalf" of Israel ...

Not even the most pro-of the Arab states as of now, ie UAE, are planning to get involved in this "task force" ...

ThreeHeadedLion
United Kingdom

Post by ThreeHeadedLion »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 22:46 India to send P8 aircraft and 3 destroyers to patrol against supposed Houthi attacks in Indian Ocean / Gulf of Aden. Not clear exactly what area they will be covering and whether working alone or as part of a multinational Maritime Task Force.

But it is a start in getting one of the main non-aligned nations to start bearing this load. Next we could do with the likes of Egypt and Saudi Arabia contributing too to protecting international shipping, even if separate from US-led Operation Prosperity Guardian.

Absolutely no way India puts its name on that coalition. Its pretty much on the other side having voted for a ceasefire at the UN.

Also, both their defense minister and foreign ministry spokesperson said they are still investigating to find out who is actually responsible. They clearly seemed to be insinuating that there is a non-zero chance of someone other than Iran having carried out the attacks.

Also wild speculation on Indian twitter, largely coming from veterans, that Iran/Houthis weren't behind these attacks.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

ThreeHeadedLion wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:40
wargame_insomniac wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 22:46 India to send P8 aircraft and 3 destroyers to patrol against supposed Houthi attacks in Indian Ocean / Gulf of Aden. Not clear exactly what area they will be covering and whether working alone or as part of a multinational Maritime Task Force.

Am aware that speculation linking Iran directly to these attacks, Hence in opening line I referred to "supposed Houthi attacks".

Absolutely no way India puts its name on that coalition. Its pretty much on the other side having voted for a ceasefire at the UN.

Also, both their defense minister and foreign ministry spokesperson said they are still investigating to find out who is actually responsible. They clearly seemed to be insinuating that there is a non-zero chance of someone other than Iran having carried out the attacks.

Also wild speculation on Indian twitter, largely coming from veterans, that Iran/Houthis weren't behind these attacks.

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

ThreeHeadedLion wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:40

If it was not Iran/Houthi - then was it the coalition itself to drag in India's Navy into their operations ?? Or Israel ?

It wont be anyone else - given that no one else "benefits" from India's involvement.

It comes down to who will benefit and why ..

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

The daft thing is that the Houthis have been 'loud and proud' in claiming responsibility for their acts of piracy.
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post:
serge750

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

If the drone came from Iran what was controlling it as at that range it would be out of line of sight

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Tempest414 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 15:02 If the drone came from Iran what was controlling it as at that range it would be out of line of sight
They currently have a spy ship sailing in the Red Sea which is presumably co-ordinating the Houthi attacks (and what a terrible shame it would be if that ship sunk following explosions that look remarkably like it has been torpedoed...). As for the attack in the Indian Ocean, it was fairly close to Iran itself and I imagine comfortably in-range for their surveillance capabilities - drones, helicopters, IRGC FACs etc.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Phil Sayers wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 15:07
Tempest414 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 15:02 If the drone came from Iran what was controlling it as at that range it would be out of line of sight
They currently have a spy ship sailing in the Red Sea which is presumably co-ordinating the Houthi attacks (and what a terrible shame it would be if that ship sunk following explosions that look remarkably like it has been torpedoed...). As for the attack in the Indian Ocean, it was fairly close to Iran itself and I imagine comfortably in-range for their surveillance capabilities - drones, helicopters, IRGC FACs etc.
It was about 1000 km's from the nearest part of Iran that is well outside line of sight control systems and to hit a moving target would need to be controlled from another platform like a P-3 MPA or a ship within 150 km's

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Tempest414 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 15:33
It was about 1000 km's from the nearest part of Iran that is well outside line of sight control systems and to hit a moving target would need to be controlled from another platform like a P-3 MPA or a ship within 150 km's
Ah - my mistake as I thought the incident was less than half that distance from Iran.

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

I'm afraid no one will convince me that it's a good idea not to have any missile defence system on our carriers. Of all the carrier operators it's just us and the Japanese who don't. And their "carriers" were an afterthought. And they have a shedload of destroyers and frigates. And tend to operate close to home.

Anyway well done India - when are they getting their navy Rafales:

Warning: there are a couple of adverts embedded in the video - and it's best watched with the mute on.
These users liked the author 2HeadsBetter for the post:
serge750