Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Caribbean wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 08:31 The thought drifts across my mind that, as this seems to have been accomplished fairly "easily" (I'm sure it wasn't as easy as they make it sound), the Hunter class design variant might yet become the basis for the T83, perhaps with a further bit of "fattening up" (i.e. beam and draft) and a bit of a stretch, pushing it into the > 10k < 12k tonne region
It would be very interesting to see how this has been done. Perhaps BAE always intended to increase the beam dimensions for future classes so the Aussies ended up with a T26/T83 hybrid.

I was expecting the T83 to end up in the 22m to 23m range. A second 600mm to 800mm increase may indeed be possible if it has been planned in advance but perhaps the T83 beam dimension was always going to be 21.4m.

Conversely, it is entirely possible the Hunter Class is now just a T26 Batch 2 and completely unconnected to whatever the T83 ultimately becomes.
These users liked the author Poiuytrewq for the post (total 2):
CaribbeanMercator

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

These users liked the author Jdam for the post:
donald_of_tokyo

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

I know surely it will be the original hull design, but I "hope" the 5 batch2s be the 0.6-m broad beamed version...

It will give large growth margin, to be pursuit for coming 30-35 years.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 14:57 I know surely it will be the original hull design, but I "hope" the 5 batch2s be the 0.6-m broad beamed version...

Donald - can you supply any verification that the “broad beamed” Type 26 exists? We’ve all seen it mentioned in one Tweet from an unofficial source. Is there anything from an official source or anything that isn’t using that Tweet as it’s source.

I hope you can because I’d like it to be a fact but am sceptical.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

RichardIC wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 15:38
donald_of_tokyo wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 14:57 I know surely it will be the original hull design, but I "hope" the 5 batch2s be the 0.6-m broad beamed version...

Donald - can you supply any verification that the “broad beamed” Type 26 exists? We’ve all seen it mentioned in one Tweet from an unofficial source. Is there anything from an official source or anything that isn’t using that Tweet as it’s source.

I hope you can because I’d like it to be a fact but am sceptical.
Not a single tweet anymore.

I do not know how you judge it, but APDR is very much reliable site, to my experience. Of course, we all are waiting for official announcement. But, I understand it will come out anyhow.
donald_of_tokyo wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 00:37 "Australian Hunter class is with wider beam", new info. Not yet official, but for me APDR is a good source. So, I think it is true. VERY interesting.

In August last year an additional 18-month delay was agreed by all parties. This was caused by several events, most noticeably the global disruption of Covid. The factors directly related to the platform included the complexity of the Australian-specific changes – especially the radar and combat system that necessitated a slightly fatter hull of 0.6 of a metre – delays to the parent Type 26 program and a shipyard being developed. Nevertheless, work had already started as promised on the prototype sections.

See https://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/ ... celerated/
These users liked the author donald_of_tokyo for the post (total 2):
JensyRichardIC

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

The new build hall at Govan is going to be:
The investment for the Govan yard is focused around a new assembly facility measuring 175meteres by 85metres
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/208 ... e-decades/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

"decades".
Not if you're not in the UK they won't.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
Digger22

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I will be interested to see if they can get the unit costs down for the next batch of ships. £3.7 billion for 3 ships is a bit steep, even if they turn out to the best Frigates ever made.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Jdam wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 17:20 I will be interested to see if they can get the unit costs down for the next batch of ships. £3.7 billion for 3 ships is a bit steep, even if they turn out to the best Frigates ever made.
I am expecting the cost to be in the region of £5bn.

The big question remains, what would be the cost of a 9th hull if the remaining batch is completed as efficiently as possible?

This question is even more relevant now that BAE is now investing in the Infrastructure at Govan. Even if this investment only increases building efficiency by 10% the ultimate cost of a 9th hull may be roughly comparable to a T31.
These users liked the author Poiuytrewq for the post (total 3):
donald_of_tokyowargame_insomniacJensy

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

From my point of view, I am more interested in 9 hulls and onwards. Hopefully then a window of opportunity to acquire T26 in sufficient numbers, so that they can indeed become the Global Combat Ships that they were always intended to become. :mrgreen:

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Poiuytrewq wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 04:40 This question is even more relevant now that BAE is now investing in the Infrastructure at Govan. Even if this investment only increases building efficiency by 10% the ultimate cost of a 9th hull may be roughly comparable to a T31.
I would have thought highly unlikely that the T26 would ever be roughly comparable in cost to the T31, apples to oranges.

The T26 designed for ASW and Special Forces Operations, a very quiet ship eg with its hybrid propulsion diesels/generators on rafts and shaft mounted motors, no noisy gearboxes, plus expensive GT/MGR, in addition the large mission bay sized for four 12m RHIBs and a landing deck to take Chinooks, all that costs big time and increases the size/displacement, before the Australians increased the beam of the Hunter they were quoting 8,800t FLD.

The Iver Huitfeldt/T31 design by OMT the design house of the Maersk one of the world's most successful container shipping lines used all their expertise to keep costs low and it shows with all diesel propulsion, would note that the benefits of diesels, low cost and relatively high speed, IH achieved 31 knots in its North Sea trials and with range of 9,000 nm plus, the disadvantage of diesels/gears not on rafts, a noisy ship compared to the hybrid T26 and so not best for ASW. Iver Huitfeldt 6,600 FLD

Mentioned before V.Adm Gardner Director General Ships at Defence Equipment and Support in interview stated he would not be procuring anymore £1 billion T26s beyond the current eight.
These users liked the author NickC for the post:
SD67

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

NickC wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 10:21 I would have thought highly unlikely that the T26 would ever be roughly comparable in cost to the T31, apples to oranges.
I think Poiuytrewq meant the marginal cost of adding a ninth hull to the program, after the efficiencies/ savings realised from a) a fully optimised build method and b) building indoors in a better environment, might only push the whole program cost from £8.7b for 8 to £9b for nine hulls, so approximately an additional £250-300m (i.e. equivalent to an extra T31).
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post (total 4):
donald_of_tokyozanahoriaPoiuytrewqJensy
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Holy shit we might be making progress here. Keep it up Bob :thumbup:
These users liked the author Jdam for the post (total 5):
donald_of_tokyoLittle Jwargame_insomniacserge750matt00773

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

When is HMS Glasgow due to be completed and ready for trials?
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
serge750

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Jdam wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 12:38

Holy shit we might be making progress here. Keep it up Bob :thumbup:
It's been lovely weather in Scotland the last couple of months, summer overtime - happy days
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
serge750

calculus
Canada

Post by calculus »

Here's a video showing how the RCN's Arctic and Offshore Patrol Vessels (AOPV) are launched. This may be of interest as I suspect HMS Glasgow's launch will be very similar.

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Here is the launch of HMS Forth from Govan.
These users liked the author tomuk for the post:
serge750

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Lord Jim wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 04:14 When is HMS Glasgow due to be completed and ready for trials?
Think i read that she would be handed over to the RN mid 2025 !! builders trials befor that maybe ? comissioned in 2027....but could be wrong

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/9 ... ff4537f636

In evidence on 5/9/22 to Scottish Affairs Committee, Sir Simon Lister (BAE) confirmed the build schedule of the second batch of T26 will be accelerated by the addition of the new build hall at Govan.

The new facility is due to be operational within two years so could also impact the Batch 1 build to a lesser degree.

First time I have heard this confirmed.
9A31FB0E-2C24-4E69-9454-07C808202616.jpeg
These users liked the author Poiuytrewq for the post (total 3):
serge750wargame_insomniacdonald_of_tokyo

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

It looks like they plan to fill the dock area in. Would it not make more sense to build a dry dock with a hall over it? Otherwise they need that barge for every launch.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I asked the same question, see response below.
Current thinking says moving them about on Self-Propelled Modular Transporters SPMTs and then lowering them into the water on boat lifts or submersible barges is preferable saving on the maintenance and logistic issues of maintaining and working in a dock.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Makes sense, do see the point of having the barge there till December.

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Jdam wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 13:27
Let's see what the cost is. If not under a billion per unit there's something going wrong
These users liked the author SD67 for the post (total 4):
jedibeeftrixdonald_of_tokyodmereifieldserge750

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Jdam wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 21:32 I asked the same question, see response below.
Current thinking says moving them about on Self-Propelled Modular Transporters SPMTs and then lowering them into the water on boat lifts or submersible barges is preferable saving on the maintenance and logistic issues of maintaining and working in a dock.

I would have thought a dry dock would give more options moving forward, especially T26 refits, as the Devonport Frigate Facility is too small.
Hey Ho.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

SD67 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 09:23Let's see what the cost is. If not under a billion per unit there's something going wrong
Although I totally agree to your point, but, recent inflation caused by Ukrainan war could be a "good" smoke and screen... Anyway, let's see..
These users liked the author donald_of_tokyo for the post:
SD67