Martlet/Lightweight multirole missile

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
jimthelad
United Kingdom

Re: Martlet/Lightweight multirole missile

Post by jimthelad »

No, it is a failsafe. It has to be enabled before firing. The mechanism is armed after launch. Otherwise anybody could trigger self destruct if they knew coding (unless wireguided). Those weapons with a command destruct have quite complex interactive software to prevent this, but still need enabling before launch.

The only risk is if there is a hangfire in the tube. This gets rather exciting, especially in the case of MILAN.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces News) 13th April 2022
Footage has emerged of Ukrainian troops celebrating after apparently shooting down a Russian drone with, what was described as, the STARStreak missile system sent to the country by the UK.

The launcher that appears in the footage is indeed from a STARStreak system, but the missile, it appears, is not.

After a closer look, it appears the missile is the British Martlet, a weapon being tested by UK troops that is yet to be fully deployed by the UK Armed Forces.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
RunningStrong

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

I’ve wondered for a while whether the RN has seriously studied possible use of Martlet in a air-to-air mode from Wildcat. at least against drones and other helicopters.

I’ve a vague recollection of a CGI promotional video where it was used against another heli.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

What concerns me is that I have yet to see a Wildcat firing a Martlet whist moving at a reasonable speed.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

RichardIC wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 18:47 I’ve wondered for a while whether the RN has seriously studied possible use of Martlet in a air-to-air mode from Wildcat. at least against drones and other helicopters.

I’ve a vague recollection of a CGI promotional video where it was used against another heli.
Yes - I recall graphics indicating that the seeker could be changed to something suitable for a2a use.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

RichardIC wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 18:47 I’ve a vague recollection of a CGI promotional video where it was used against another heli.
Think you're thinking of this...which is a Brimstone derivative (a lot of which is actually in Brimstone 3).

Caribbean wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:51 Yes - I recall graphics indicating that the seeker could be changed to something suitable for a2a use.
I think you mean this...Martlet is designed to be modular, but I don't believe any of these options have yet to be pursued or funded. That might change though...

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post (total 3):
CaribbeanRichardICleonard

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

Drone hunting Ukrainian style !
Apparently they couldn't have enough of this missile and have asked for more and more

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Good selection of video stills from that engagement showing the launch of Martlet. Target was an Orlan 10 apparently.With a slightly longer video of the engagement part...

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
leonard

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

In the meantime LMM Martlet missile is becoming increasingly the weapon of choice on shooting down Russian drones.The best example bellow with two new kills .
These users liked the author leonard for the post (total 2):
Lord Jimwargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

We need cheap munitions for Army/Navy for shooting down cheap drones. From what I have read the Martlett is one of the cheaper missiles available to UK armed forces, so hopefuuly we will learn from the lessons and experience of Ukranians and use it ourselves in active service.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

35mm or 30mm air burst rounds are cheaper still, if we invested in a SPAAA platform, possibly based on the Boxer. Maybe have LMM as a companion weapon on the same launcher replacing the existing HVM/Stormer platforms, some of which we are already giving to Ukraine.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 22 May 2022, 17:49 We need cheap munitions for Army/Navy for shooting down cheap drones. From what I have read the Martlett is one of the cheaper missiles available to UK armed forces, so hopefuuly we will learn from the lessons and experience of Ukranians and use it ourselves in active service.
We need to invest in the CT40mm and the newer anti-air Airburst round.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

RunningStrong wrote: 22 May 2022, 21:11
wargame_insomniac wrote: 22 May 2022, 17:49 We need cheap munitions for Army/Navy for shooting down cheap drones. From what I have read the Martlett is one of the cheaper missiles available to UK armed forces, so hopefuuly we will learn from the lessons and experience of Ukranians and use it ourselves in active service.
We need to invest in the CT40mm and the newer anti-air Airburst round.
Hence why I used he term "munitions" rather than missiles. Both Army and Navy need options for dealing with a range of air threats, from cheap disposable drones to more expensive / more sophisticated drones, helicopters, jet aircraft, subsonic but stealthy missiles, all the way up to the latest hypersonic missiles.

It may be for the RN that a pair of the new 40mm secondary weapons on the T31 prove ideal in dealing with drones. But what about on other ships which might have 30mm automated mount, Phalanx CIWS or manually operated 12.7mm HMG. Are we going tp be able to afford to refit EVERY ship to new 40mm? And what about Army? Which systems would work best attached to Boxer, Ajax or even wheeled trucks?

The reason I said "munitions" as a general term is to cover these eventualities. It might be that 40mm cannon is the best and cheapest option for dealing with drones for certain ships and certain vehicles. But for other ships and vehicles it might be that Martlett might be the best choice. Amd it think it is fair to mention that option given that this is the Martlett thread.

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

First official video by the Ukranian General Staff of the use LMM Martlet missile and the way and method it is being used by the paratroopers for shooting down Russian drones

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

First video of a LMM Martlet missile v.s the Ka52 Alligator helicopter
Ukrainian paratrooper style !!!!

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

It appears that Starstreak and LMM are both deployed with Ukrainian Airborne units, who are having significant success with it...

The really interesting thing is how long the missile is in flight.....or to put it another way...it's range is massively longer than the 8km often stated...this hit was at a minimum of 10km. Thats over twice the range of a Stinger.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I haven't seen a video of the Ukrainians using Starstreak yet, just Martlet.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
sunstersun

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Timmymagic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 16:54 It appears that Starstreak and LMM are both deployed with Ukrainian Airborne units, who are having significant success with it...

The really interesting thing is how long the missile is in flight.....or to put it another way...it's range is massively longer than the 8km often stated...this hit was at a minimum of 10km. Thats over twice the range of a Stinger.
I would say as a norm with the British kit if we say 8 km you can bet it will work out to 12 Km with 8 being the most effective we know that CAMM is given at 25 km but in trials has a range of 40+ Km

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Tempest414 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 18:36
Timmymagic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 16:54 It appears that Starstreak and LMM are both deployed with Ukrainian Airborne units, who are having significant success with it...

I would say as a norm with the British kit if we say 8 km you can bet it will work out to 12 Km with 8 being the most effective we know that CAMM is given at 25 km but in trials has a range of 40+ Km
ASRAAM was listed as 25km for years....then the Australian's let slip it was good for 60km..

I suspect for Martlet 10km is the maximum practicable, but thats a big distance over Stinger et al.

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

Martlet and Starstreak get extra thumbs up due to the visual guided nature according the latest RUSI report.

I guess EW and flares are useless against it.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

sunstersun wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 22:22 Martlet and Starstreak get extra thumbs up due to the visual guided nature according the latest RUSI report.

I guess EW and flares are useless against it.
Chaff, Flares, EW...and DIRCM.

The only system that provides any protection is MAWS (Missile Approach and Warning Systems). These detect the ignition of a rocket motor using IR sensors mounted around the aircraft. But....they're notorious for having high false alarms (sunlight reflecting off glass or a mirror can trigger them). All they can do against Starstreak or Martlet is provide warning of rocket launch to the pilot and rough direction from where the threat originates so they can manoeuvre. I suspect with Starstreak's speed all it will do is let you know you're about to be shot down in a second or 2....

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

Lord Jim wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 05:44 I haven't seen a video of the Ukrainians using Starstreak yet.
I suspect that is deliberate and the UK has asked the Ukrainians to not post videos of them in action.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Something I wasn't aware of....

Indonesia has added Martlet to its LML and RapidRanger systems.., looks like they got them at least 6 months ago.

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
RunningStrong

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

This unbelievably photo was taken from a sequence of a Ukrainian Army paratrooper shooting down a Russian Orlan drone.
You can sea the full extension of the Martlet missile leaving the launcher.
Bellow even the full video of the action.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

STAFF NOTICE:
The Light Multi Role Missile topic from the Royal Navy section has been merged into this topic.
These users liked the author The Armchair Soldier for the post:
Timmymagic