Black Swan Sloop (Future Concept) (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Black Swan Sloop (Future Concept) (RN)

Post by SKB »

Found some interesting gov.uk material regarding the 'Black Swan' sloop project. A useful class of ship, it could be used to replace the ageing Sandown and Hunt class vessels. And maybe even the Rivers too.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... oup-system

marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: Black Swan Sloop (Future Concept) (RN)

Post by marktigger »

there are plenty of designs out there that would fill this requirement

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

The black swan article has been doing the rounds now for months.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

@Jonas
You are right it has been doing the rounds for a lot of months if not years. I am not sure about it, sounds good but look how the littoral combat ships of the US turned out, costly well over budget and that was without the cost of any mission modules. I am not sure what use they would be in a combat situation either; could it outrun say a fast RIB carrying drug smugglers; how much damage could it take from a anti ship missile or anti tank round fired from RIB.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

that could be said for any vessel bigger than a RIB! though some CB90's would be good for "Force Protection"

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

bobp wrote:@Jonas
You are right it has been doing the rounds for a lot of months if not years. I am not sure about it, sounds good but look how the littoral combat ships of the US turned out, costly well over budget and that was without the cost of any mission modules. I am not sure what use they would be in a combat situation either; could it outrun say a fast RIB carrying drug smugglers; how much damage could it take from a anti ship missile or anti tank round fired from RIB.
LCS are a bit of a different concept, one that has been proven to he simply bad. It only a matter of time before the us admit that and cancel the lot in favour of some real ships.

They are the absolute embodiment of my argument thay trying to fit a frigate into something smaller than a frigate is a terrible idea. Just buy a firggate !

The black swan concept takes a batter route and is designed to be cheap instead of flighty.
@LandSharkUK

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Jack of all trades master of none springs to mind.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

marktigger wrote:Jack of all trades master of none springs to mind.
Jack of all trades, master of none, but really cheap. Then it could be interesting.
@LandSharkUK