Scimitar Class Fast Patrol Vessels (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Caribbean
United Kingdom

Re: Scimitar Class Fast Patrol Vessels (RN)

Post by Caribbean »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:14 2 coming back from Gib is to do what?
According to wiki, three new URNU sites were due to be set up in 2021 (no idea if that actually happened, probably not, with COVID), so maybe they are already spoken for?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

My personal opinion is that the URNU boats, when they come due for replacement, should be replaced with training versions of the Atlas SEA boats (13 or 15m versions), with a small Inshore Patrol Squadron of (say) 35-40m boats being created for patrol, SAR, engagement and training purposes. The latter won't happen, of course, but one can dream :)
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 11:14 I agree it is not "increase" but surely not decrease/cut.
In the narrow context of small patrol boats no - but in the wider context of shallow draft ships <= 2,000t with less than 50 crew yes.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

These users liked the author SKB for the post:
Scimitar54

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

SKB wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 10:17
I wonder if they could be of any use for Ukraine?

Small enough to traverse the Rhine/Danube without needing to enter the Black sea.