Black Hornet Nano (British Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Black Hornet Nano (British Army)

Post by SKB »

Introduction
The Black Hornet Nano is a military micro unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) developed by Prox Dynamics AS of Norway, and in use by the British Army.

The unit measures around 10 × 2.5 cm (4 × 1 in) and provides troops on the ground with local situational awareness. They are small enough to fit in one hand and weigh just over half an ounce (16 g, including batteries).

The UAV is equipped with a camera, which gives the operator full-motion video and still images. They were developed as part of a £20 million contract for 160 units with Marlborough Communications Ltd.

Operational history
The aircraft was being used by soldiers from the UK's Brigade Reconnaissance Force at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. Operation Herrick personnel in Afghanistan deploy the Black Hornet from the front line to fly into enemy territory to take video and still images before returning to the operator.

Designed to blend in with the muddy grey walls in Afghanistan, and capable of flying for 20 minutes on quiet electric motors, it has been used to look around corners or over walls and other obstacles to identify any hidden dangers and enemy positions. The Black Hornet is connected to the operator with a digital data-link and GPS. Images are displayed on a small handheld terminal, which can be used by the operator to control the UAV.[9] The Black Hornet is launched from a small box that can be strapped to a utility belt, which also stores transmitted data so a captured drone won't reveal anything it recorded. Operators can steer the UAV or set waypoints for it to fly itself.

As of 25 October 2013, the British Army had 324 Hornet Nanos in service. It was withdrawn from service in 2016/2017.

SKB
England

Re: Black Hornet Nano (Army)

Post by SKB »

Count how many times he says 'compound'. :mrgreen:

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Withdrawn from service last year, we now learn... https://t.co/9s4FzGzEb2

Another stealth cut.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Gabriele wrote:Withdrawn from service last year, we now learn... https://t.co/9s4FzGzEb2

Another stealth cut.
Perhaps not as withdrawn as we thought?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I've asked them if the Army is attempting to secure a MOD U-turn. There can be no doubt that the MOD withdrew Black Hornet from service: it no longer was listed with the other UAS in the equipment count and the MOD UAS doctrine specifically says it went out of service.

If they are rethinking on that, i'm very happy. I just wish they could make things clear for once.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

The MOD make things clear. Now you are living in fantasy land!