Australian Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: Australian Defence Force

Post by Lord Jim »

Fair enough. I suppose it is simply a case of where the Horse is in relation to the Cart. Mind you this sort of thing would be a good start for the newly formed American, United Kingdom, Australia Alliance, forming a joint force to harmonise capabilities that come under such a Command.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
R686

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Lord Jim wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 13:11 Fair enough. I suppose it is simply a case of where the Horse is in relation to the Cart. Mind you this sort of thing would be a good start for the newly formed American, United Kingdom, Australia Alliance, forming a joint force to harmonise capabilities that come under such a Command.
Yes I think that's a very good point. This stuff will become something like a permanent combined operation. Sooner rather than later, we will probably have to formalise some sort of global command structure with an appropriate treaty. Quite literally someone will have to be Supreme Allied Commander Space Forces in the event of major conflict. We might be weeks away from needing that, actually.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

A older but interesting lecture on the development of bushmaster

https://www.aspi.org.au/report/bushmast ... ept-combat

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

SW1 wrote: 27 Mar 2022, 22:21 A older but interesting lecture on the development of bushmaster

https://www.aspi.org.au/report/bushmast ... ept-combat
Thanks. That was quite good. Ta

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

That was an interesting video, thanks for posting it. For some reason, probably because I had worked in that area, I kept thinking about UK Defence Procurement and how various factions within the MoD would be looking at Boxer, and appreciating what it was capable of or not.

The Army's last wheeled AFV was the 4x4 Saxon if I remember rightly, excluding the numerous UOR vehicles. These were main to be battle taxis to aid getting troops from the UK into Germany with some form of protection, instead of being in the ubiquitous truck. Boxer takes things to a level that is totally new to the British Army. The Debates with the Australian Defence Procurement system could easily have Bushmaster repced by Boxer in many places.

What makes this even more interesting is that despite the British Army have used the Bushmaster in small numbers for nearly twop decades, it is still having to compete with other platforms for the stalled MRV(P) programmes phase two. The Army has opted to procure in principal the American JLTV with any competition, with a need of over one thousand identified, yet Phase two, which has becme probably the more important part of the programme is still trying to move into the competition phase.

The British Army needs the Bushmaster for basically the same role as that of the Australian Army. It is forming two Light BCTs, whose two Infantry Battalions need to be mounted in a protected vehicle capable of carrying up to a section of dismounts. We also have a newly formed Ranger Regiment while also needs a protected vehicle in the same class as the Bushmaster. This unit in fact should really be equipped via a UOR for Bushmaster as it is operational in it role to support allies already. Such a purchase and deployment would give the Army an even better understanding of th Bushmaster's capabilities and in the variants available.

I also found some of the other ASPI articles informative.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacMercator

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Yes I think if the UK were to buy 1000 Bushmasters in

APC
Command
SP Mortar
Air defence
Anti tank
Logistics
Medical

and add them to the 400 Foxhounds and 400 Jackal & Coyote's we should have enough vehicles to cover 2 x Light mobile BCT's and the Ranger Regt plus two Reserve Battalion battle groups

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

An Air Defence variant equipped with Starstreak and LMM together with the relevant sensors would make a good replacement for the current Stormer HVM platform. Ideally we would purchase enough to equip two Royal Artillery Regiments to support the BCTs whilst Infantry units would get both shoulder and pedestal launchers as part of their Weapons Company. This would be a very cost effective option possibly allowing the vehicles to have an autocannon also installed in any turret mount, the Bushmaster 30mm as used inteh Apache being a good start.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

There is a little bit of speculation on a possible hit back at the Chinese whom may or may not open a military base in the future in the Solomon islands.

Speculation is starting to build of a new military port in Darwin

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-31/ ... /100952464
The budget does, however, stash funds aside for some further big announcements before election day, particularly involving regional infrastructure.

And there's already speculation around one major project that would carry significant strategic ramifications.
A brand-new port might upset the Chinese owners of the existing facility, but that won't worry Morrison.

It's unclear whether the new port would be purely for industrial use. More likely is a facility that can accommodate visiting naval ships from AUKUS partners, the United States and United Kingdom.

A mid-campaign announcement of the new facility, now funded in the budget, will give the Prime Minister another opportunity to push his national security theme and push back at Beijing, particularly after China's moves to establish a greater military presence in the Solomon Islands.
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 2):
Mercatorwargame_insomniac

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

With the news that the Solomans is signing a new treaty with China there was an immediate reaction and how ADF will have to change its operations

Australian general says Chinese military presence in Solomon Islands would force ADF rethink
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc ... /100954752

With that a the surface navy capbilty cap the RAN is set to accuire as a stop gap six mothballed FFGs from United States Navy

FlowLikeTheWind
United Kingdom

Post by FlowLikeTheWind »

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... rettyPhoto

The remaining three boats of the first batch, HMAS Victoria, HMAS Vexatious and HMAS Vampirious are expected to be in the water in the 2050s.

Isn't this a joke?
30 years.
These users liked the author FlowLikeTheWind for the post:
SKB

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... an-project

Australia has scrapped its Project Air 7003, a multimillion-dollar programme, which was conceived to strengthen the country's intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) capabilities across land and maritime environments.

The USD1.3 billion programme was on schedule to deliver 12–16 armed, medium-altitude, long-endurance MQ-9B SkyGuardians to Australia. The aircraft were to have been in service by the mid-2020s.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

FlowLikeTheWind wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 21:28 https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... rettyPhoto

The remaining three boats of the first batch, HMAS Victoria, HMAS Vexatious and HMAS Vampirious are expected to be in the water in the 2050s.

Isn't this a joke?
30 years.
Lol - had me going until I got to the names - nice one!
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post:
FlowLikeTheWind
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Sources confirm that the pumpjet propulseur, which replaces the screw propeller of the Collins class, will be optimized for Southern Hemisphere operations. It will spin the opposite direction to normal European ones.
:lol: :clap: :thumbup:
These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 3):
Lord JimScimitar54Halidon

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Very good "April Fools" had me going for a while as well.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

AUACUS - Australian Anti-Clockwise Underwater Screw ? :lol:
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post:
wargame_insomniac

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Further to the budget are the commitment of funds for the expansion of the Osborne shipyard for future submarine development and further plans for an East coast submarine base
https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/marit ... r-ran-ssns

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

These users liked the author seaspear for the post:
wargame_insomniac

inch

Post by inch »

Well the announcement that they have picked the US sub design ( my opinion) won't be long off now I'm guessing as they said would be sooner

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Why go to the trouble of respraying them "White". Why not just plain green to which local additional colours could be added?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

olive green

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Lord Jim wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 00:43 Why go to the trouble of respraying them "White". Why not just plain green to which local additional colours could be added?
They were already white after UN duties they have now been painted green as seen

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I am sure the article said they were resprayed white but my eyes are not what they used to be. OF course the author could have misunderstood what he was told and therefore wrote it down wrong.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Lord Jim wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 21:45 I am sure the article said they were resprayed white but my eyes are not what they used to be. OF course the author could have misunderstood what he was told and therefore wrote it down wrong.

I think it was just badly worded article
The vehicles had been painted white before the refit
I take that they were already white before the next paint job to which was confirmed by Mercator being UN white