Australian Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
arfah
Niue

Re: Australian Defence Force

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

After what happened with the Collins they need to get it right

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

arfah wrote:Licence built Soryu class or a variation of?

This feels like the longest ever defence programme. Will be glad when a contract is signed, eventually.
I think i read somewhere that the Japanese are collaborating in some way with BAE in their proposal. Don't know the depth of the cooperation or its nature, but i am pretty sure i read that something of the sort was happening in strict relation to this sub deal.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Halidon wrote:Reuters reporting that the French and Japanese proposals for the Collins Class Replacement are starting to look like the finalists.
I think you can discount the French bid in the long run as it a virtual paper tiger as well, it will need a lot of redesigning from a nuc boat to conventional.

The Japanese are expanding the sub force from 16 to 22 and if we go with a minimum of 8 that's a 30 boat build over the lifetime compared to a 8 French orphan build. I know which I rather go with.

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Xav can speak more to it than me but I wouldn't discount the SF Barracuda on design alone, and they certainly have plenty more experience building for/with other navies than MHI. From what I've seen, and there could be some really big problems lurking out there which haven't been reported yet, these are two solid options for Australia to choose from.

xav

Post by xav »

Halidon wrote:Xav can speak more to it than me but I wouldn't discount the SF Barracuda on design alone, and they certainly have plenty more experience building for/with other navies than MHI.
That plus the decision will not just be technical but very much political.
DCNS offer is said to be the strongest in terms of industrial partnership, tech transfer and job creation... This particular point (Jobs) is said to be the most important factor now with elections coming up... and this is not just from my French sources but local as well.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

xav wrote: the decision will not just be technical but very much political.
DCNS offer is said to be the strongest in terms of industrial partnership, tech transfer
- they also have a track record

On the other hand, the Japanese navy has an ops area overlapping that of the RAN
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

xav wrote:
Halidon wrote:Xav can speak more to it than me but I wouldn't discount the SF Barracuda on design alone, and they certainly have plenty more experience building for/with other navies than MHI.
That plus the decision will not just be technical but very much political.
DCNS offer is said to be the strongest in terms of industrial partnership, tech transfer and job creation... This particular point (Jobs) is said to be the most important factor now with elections coming up... and this is not just from my French sources but local as well.

Tech transfer will be part of any deal, but just as important from lessons learned with Collins will be IP fiasco.

At the end of the day the French are betting on a boat that's not even in the water to an operational standard and based on a boat that's still in its development cycle and up against a boat with 6 plus boats in the water on operations.

I so confident that the French won't get the nod i'd bet my house on it. It's a two horse race for appearance only.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

I assume that whatever sweetness the French offer, Australia has potentially far more to gain strategically from tightening defence industry ties with Japan.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

"advanced combat vehicles costed at at least $10 billion. The new vehicle will replaced the current ASLAV 8x8 armoured vehicle."

Not sure if the three AMVs on their way to Oz are for this, or "just" for the recce wagon purchase
- one of the 3 will be late as it stops over in Britain for blast testing (hope it makes it all the way to the intended destination)
- it seems that "we" are much trusted for such testing (have heard of some prototypes heading this way, and the folks who built them having fingers crossed... that they will get their one and only back)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

xav

Post by xav »

BAE Systems Anti-Ship Missile Defence Program for Australia's ANZAC Frigates Reaches Milestone
BAE Systems Anti-Ship Missile Defence (ASMD) program has notched up an impressive two million hours. The milestone was achieved this month during work on the sixth (HMAS Parramatta) and seventh (HMAS Toowoomba) ships in the eight ship program. The ASMD program is providing the Royal Australian Navy with a world leading defence capability.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3503

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

arfah wrote:Claims of historical abuse and a cover up by senior officers and politicians in the SASR by Australian senator, Jacqui Lambi.

http://www.news.com.au/national/jacqui- ... 5b692ede1b

Yeah it's called bastardisation which has been going on since Christ knows when, it was going on when I was in and I imagine it's still going on in some form.

Betcha she would not be game to say it in public outside of parliment protection

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

................ ..

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

arfah wrote:
Will their be a government inquiry or court case?
I imagine a report will be generated as it was brought up in parliment, if we ever hear anything about it is another question.

It may all be related to that of Australian of the year awards on the 26 when LTGEN Morrison was named recently.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

uu
(,)

-------------

xav

Post by xav »

Combat Systems On-Board Royal Australian Navy Air Warfare Destroyer Hobart Come Alive
The past few weeks have seen the combat systems and test activities come alive for the first air warfare destroyer, the future HMAS Hobart of the Royal Australian Navy. Combat system compartments, such as the Combat System Equipment Rooms, the Combat Information Centre (CIC) and the radar equipment room, are filled with personnel and activity as equipment is powered on for the first time and functionally tested.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3586

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

DWP to be released Thursday, broadsheets are reporting 12 subs and 9 ASW frigates TBC with DWP more funding allocated to cyber and EW

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

arfah wrote:
R686 wrote:DWP to be released Thursday, broadsheets are reporting 12 subs and 9 ASW frigates TBC with DWP more funding allocated to cyber and EW
That seems quite promising.

Fingers X'd
All will be revealed tommorrow, I reckon the ADF threads on most forums will go into melt down once the digest the DWP.

According to the shadow Defence Minister there is even talk of 5000 extra pers, if that across the board or all Army no idea but if so that's massive increase an extra manouver Battalion, but I doubt it. Would make sence for plan Beersheba and not having to rely on the choco's, always thought it was a bridge too far.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-2 ... an/7194882

One item I'm really looking forward to is the LCH replacement see what they have in mind.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

There is a study on the go at this end, for which the brief said: Think about all possible ship-to-shore connectors, as to what mix of them would do the job best going forward
...BUT do not worry your sweet little pretty heads about the LCU

So, maybe the result for that part had already been agreed ( a joint buy?)?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Defence white paper

http://www.defence.gov.au/whitepaper/AtAGlance.asp

Havnt read it yet will do tonight, but from another site seems impressive. And appears the French will be pissed off as their is a Tiger replacement not an upgrade , will confirm tonight also looks like Osprey has got the nod.

If true just got to keep labour out of goverment.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Jumped the shark in regards to Osprey on another site added "Improved aero-medical evac and possible CSAR capability= Osprey me thinks that's what CH-47F will do as we will have ten, my crystal ball suggests MC-47 in the role with an additional buy mid 20's

In a nut shell taken from another forum as I could not be bothered re writing it, Thanks Richo99

RAN
12 new subs, from early 2030s
12 new OPVs, from 2018
9 new ASW frigates, from late 2020s
2 (+ 1 option) new replenishment ships, from early 2020s
4 Huon MCMVs to be upgraded
Short-range ship based UAV
Land based deployable anti-ship missiles
Upgrade of HMAS Choules including self-defence systems

RAAF
8 + 7 extra = 15 P8s, from early 2020s
7 Tritons, from early 2020s
2 + 3 options for G550 ISR aircraft, from early 2020s
Long term possibility of 2 additional KC30s (ie 9 total)
Medium altitude armed UAV, from early 2020s

ARMY
Tiger ARH to be replaced, from mid 2020s
3 additional CH-47 (for total of 10)
light helicopters to support special ops
Long range rocket artillery, from mid 2020s
RBS-70 replacement in early 2020s,
medium range GBAD in late 2020s
Bushmaster replacement, from 2025
Riverine patrol craft, from 2022
Improved aero-medical evac and possible CSAR capability

Notable omissions:
LCH replacement
additional M1 tanks

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

In regards to the ARH,

Our 22 Tiger Armed Reconnaissance helicopters, which provide firepower for our land force operations, will be replaced from the mid 2020s by manned or unmanned systems, or a combination of both,

Didn't apache have some sort of ability to use mini drone or something along those lines?