Australian Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
inch

Re: Australian Defence Force

Post by inch »

Lol just had another thought ,the only possible way uk might be in with a slightest of chances is if say uk going to increase defence budget and build the Australian boats here but the UK offset is that Australia builds extra t21 ,even Australian spec ,ie Their radar etc for uk

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

As part of the new submarine project the government is to build a new 10billion submarine base on the east coast either in Brisbane, Newcastle or Port Kembla as the preferred options

I understand the rational to build a base on the east coast as it will be rasofrom a recruitment perspective and a posting cycle of not haveing our only submarine base over in WA

The last submarine base was HMAS Platypus in North Sydney, as I understood it the main attraction was once clear of the heads it was straight into deep water to hid in at the start of patrol I imagine that would be the most influential prospect for the new base, but somehow I don’t think splitting a 8 boat fleet between East West 8 boats just dosnt seem to sit right with me

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc ... /100887204

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

A lot of the academics are thinking it's more for US and possibly UK forces than Australian (UK taking space that becomes free in WA, obv). There was a major US submarine base in Brisbane during the Second World War and it's still a good location for all those same reasons. Not sure about the real estate there, but they are extending the existing port out into Moreton Bay quite significantly, and even back as far as Kevin 07, that was where they were thinking about setting up another naval base (by reclaiming some more land out in the bay). So quite possibly we are buying a bit of cooperation by creating some base infrastructure for our allies. Not that there's anything wrong with that – but it hasn't stopped a few of the academic/strategic/think tank wankers from bleating about it ("it's a bribe! We're giving up our sovereignty!").

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote: 06 Mar 2022, 23:21 A lot of the academics are thinking it's more for US and possibly UK forces than Australian (UK taking space that becomes free in WA, obv). There was a major US submarine base in Brisbane during the Second World War and it's still a good location for all those same reasons. Not sure about the real estate there, but they are extending the existing port out into Moreton Bay quite significantly, and even back as far as Kevin 07, that was where they were thinking about setting up another naval base (by reclaiming some more land out in the bay). So quite possibly we are buying a bit of cooperation by creating some base infrastructure for our allies. Not that there's anything wrong with that – but it hasn't stopped a few of the academic/strategic/think tank wankers from bleating about it ("it's a bribe! We're giving up our sovereignty!").

Was always under the impression that it was a long transit on the surface out of Brisbane to an area deep enough to far from the continental shelf

Was told this by a couple of ex serving RAN members a long time ago

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Not sure I buy into all of that hysteria (it gets said about some of the approaches in WA and Darwin, too). First, it gets pretty deep after Moreton Island, which is barely a few hours from the port. Second, these are not boomers. They don't have to run and hide. If our adversaries are waiting with their SSNs off the coast, I say yay! Saves time looking for them. (And seabed sensors for the win!). I don't buy it as a serious concern myself. They can wait for you off Sydney Heads in deep water just as easily.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
Tempest414

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Brilliant, leaves the similar ROK system with Exactors on the back 'eating dust'. The rea effect of systems like this is the get them where needed, plenty quick, so an LCVP size transporter - not dependent on harbours - should be part of the rqrmnt set (and according to the article, it fits, though down there they have various sizes of landing craft so may be not 100% sure)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

PM Scott Morrison is expected to announce an increase to the size of the ADF overall out to 2040. The increase is in line with the expected new capabilities for the ADF which all good but to me I think it’s a bit of a lost opportunity.

Defence to grow to largest size since Vietnam War, increasing by nearly 20,000 people by 2040

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc ... /100896902

The ADF needs more teeth and logical support,

I think the regular Army needs a injection of strength with an additional manoeuvre Brigade based on amphibious operations, and equipped with there own amphibious armoured vehicle either the USMC AAV -7 replacement or the improved Japanese version of the AAV-7A1. They also need to be equipped with a fast brown/green water craft (CB-90/ Mark V SOC)

I think the RAN needs two additional improved Canberra class with a plug of 20m to give it increased aviation capacity and storage of bulk consumables with one being used as a ASW light carrier.

Also we need 2x additional logistic support vessels such as improved Frank S Besson type vessel as well with LCM-8 replacement

RAAF/ RAN need a joint fast jet capability (F35B)

ARes should be given the M777 from regular Army and Cavalry regiment. be equipped with Boxer CRV

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

R686 wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 21:54Seems the French cannot let go of the sub deal and quite possibly the Taipans and Tiger fleets, well I’m sure they will still would like us to buy more KC-30A
Surely the French should just accept the decision and back down?

They are quite good at surrendering, after all.
These users liked the author swoop for the post:
R686

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

swoop wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 05:59
R686 wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 21:54Seems the French cannot let go of the sub deal and quite possibly the Taipans and Tiger fleets, well I’m sure they will still would like us to buy more KC-30A
Surely the French should just accept the decision and back down?

They are quite good at surrendering, after all.

Received this in my email a few days ago

ALERT LEVELS BY CONTRY -

UK RAISES ALERT LEVEL
The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent Russian threats and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. The Russians have been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let’s Get the Bastards.” They don’t have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France’s white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country’s military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we’ll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 3):
inchwargame_insomniacswoop

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Nicely organised procurement plan. It appears they intend to replace almost the whole M113AS fleet. The UK could learn a lot for how the Australian Army is restructuring and reequipping itself.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
wargame_insomniac

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

R686 wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 06:19Received this in my email a few days ago

ALERT LEVELS BY CONTRY -

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Mate.”
Sounds like a document from the enemy!
Aussies never say "alright" - it's always "she'll be right, Mate"

And I believe Italy has one further setting of "design new, preposterous military uniforms with excessive decorations".

:thumbup:

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

ALERT LEVELS BY CONTRY -

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Mate.”

And I believe Italy has one further setting of "design new, preposterous military uniforms with excessive decorations".

These users liked the author swoop for the post:
R686

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

swoop wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 01:10

ALERT LEVELS BY CONTRY -

Truth be told it most likely originated from the bloody Kiwis :lol:
These users liked the author R686 for the post:
swoop

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Boeing’s Australian-Produced Uncrewed Aircraft to be Named ‘MQ-28A Ghost Bat’
https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-relea ... paign=news

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

What is the platform capable of besides flying with manned aircraft as a "Wingman".

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Today we announced the stand-up of Australia’s Defence Space Command.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Have any of these Countries who are establishing their own "Space Command" watched Space Force on either Netflix or Amazon? :D

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Lord Jim wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 03:43 Have any of these Countries who are establishing their own "Space Command" watched Space Force on either Netflix or Amazon? :D
I think that's far for reality. And don't watch it.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Well it is a comedy farce at its core, which many nations establishing such commands in reality borders on.

Besides the NASA Radar station in Australia what else related to space is there for this new command to command? Is Australia gaining access to other nations Satellites for example as part of some alliance? Will such a command take control of any BMD system Australia may have form the Services currently operating them? Setting up such a command sounds good but what does it really achieve, I would really like to know?

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Lord Jim wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 08:49 what does it really achieve, I would really like to know?
The world's first zero-g barbie?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Lord Jim wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 08:49 Setting up such a command sounds good but what does it really achieve, I would really like to know?

Roberts said her team would investigate Australia having the capability to generate “reversible and irreversible effects” on objects in space, such as “jamming” satellite communications, without creating debris.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ce-command

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

So the Command is built on a number of aspirations. Wouldn't it be better to develop a number of capabilities that prove feasible and then form the Command? The same goes for all nations form these "Space Forces".

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

It's called a Command – and that's probably aspirational – but at this point it's more a Force Element Group within Air Force. Which is fine. (The rank of their leader makes them a little more high-powered than the usual FEG). They have a task to grow into, a few assets (satellites, radars, telescopes and some EW kit probably) and maybe one day some kinetic capabilities. It's the same path we began with our EW assets about 20 years ago and they became world-class. Gotta start somewhere.
These users liked the author Mercator for the post:
R686