New Zealand Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
R686
Australia

Re: New Zealand Defence Force

Post by R686 »

SW1 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 17:32
Lord Jim wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 17:07 Good to see. Do we know who else is sending ships?
I think I read Australia is positioning HMAS Adelaide is assist.

Correct, I believe she left earlier this morning from Brisbane

https://news.defence.gov.au/internation ... onse-tonga

I’m lead to believe that the US JPN and Singapore are contributing as well
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 2):
SW1Lord Jim

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

HMNSZ Aotearoa arrives at Tonga and deliver of water is continuing. OPV Wellington's port survey/secure activity, was also effective. Great job. Now, RAAF C17 is there, RNZAF C130 is there, and JASDF C130 is there soon, followed by two C-2. HMAS Adelede is nearly coming?

These users liked the author donald_of_tokyo for the post:
KiwiMuzz

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

New Zealand has sent;
  • HMNZS Wellington with SeaSprite
  • HMNZS Aortearoa Stores water and fuel
  • HMNZS Canterbury, 2 NH-90 and stores repair equipment as well as troops or feet on the ground.
  • The RNZAF C-130's have been flying in round trips.
  • Government has pledged $$$$$ (I can't remember how much)
These users liked the author NighthawkNZ for the post (total 6):
Tempest414DefianceRepulsedonald_of_tokyowargame_insomniacKiwiMuzz

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Great summary of achievements and on-going effort of NZDF at Tonga.

These users liked the author donald_of_tokyo for the post (total 3):
wargame_insomniacMercatorTempest414

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

NighthawkNZ wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 10:06 New Zealand has sent;
[*]Government has pledged $$$$$ (I can't remember how much)
[/list]
NZ has "given" $3 million to the Tongan recovery. https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... llion.html

Remembering that they gave $2.75 Million to the gangs... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-t ... 7J6ZNCORI/

The current NZ government is a bunch of amateurs well out of their depth.

Also, china is getting in on the act. There's nothing like cash to help smooth the pathway for their economic takeover of the islands and their resources... https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202201/1246801.shtml

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

HMNZS Aotearoa has left Tonga and back in Lyttelton doing the resupply thing before heading off to McMurdo/Antarctica...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300501 ... broke-down

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1488726379004899329

These users liked the author NighthawkNZ for the post:
donald_of_tokyo

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

HMNZS Aotearoa heading south to McMurdo station Antarctica for a supply run for both McMurdo and Scott Base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author NighthawkNZ for the post (total 2):
KiwiMuzzdonald_of_tokyo

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

swoop wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 23:15 NZ has "given" $3 million to the Tongan recovery. https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeal ... llion.html

Remembering that they gave $2.75 Million to the gangs... https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-t ... 7J6ZNCORI/

The current NZ government is a bunch of amateurs well out of their depth.
Pretty sure this isn't a political thread...

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

The ice-strengthened hull of HMNZS Aotearoa makes short work of pack ice near Terra Nova Bay on her way to McMurdo Station to deliver supplies for AntarcticaNZ . Fresh from work in Tonga, and now the Antarctic, she's demonstrated capability in any environment, on any task.
FLNR8S_aUAgsvtH.jpg
FLNR4ytaAAUXfHX.jpg
FLNR4ysacAA4gmJ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author NighthawkNZ for the post (total 3):
donald_of_tokyoKiwiMuzzSW1

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

Welp... HMNZS Aotearoa safely made it to McMurdo. To be fair... she look like she is in her element ;-)

NZ Navy polar-class logistics support vessel HMNZS Aotearoa has arrived at the McMurdo Station ice pier on its maiden voyage to #Antarctica. The Royal Society Range is visible on the far side of McMurdo Sound.
FLUE6IBXEAM1p8C.jpg
FLeAiiGacAAft2m.jpg
KiwiMuzzdonald_of_tokyo

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air- ... news_promo

Interesting to see why they’re doing better than most, also maybe they didn’t lose aircraft configuration due to poor spares tracking like some neighbours

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SW1 wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 10:12 https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/air- ... news_promo

Interesting to see why they’re doing better than most, also maybe they didn’t lose aircraft configuration due to poor spares tracking like some neighbours

I could not read the full article, but I would put it down to fleet size (8)and spares holding it being the smallest fleet across NH-90 users. The initial purchase included an extra for spares off the bat plus whatever support spare they have bought that 1 aircraft of spares is 12.5% of the fleet. Ifthe ADF did the same they would be looking at 6.75 extra aircraft. The early years the aircraft certainly wasn’t meeting its requirements in the RNZAF it too had its fair share of problems

The problem is just not affecting the ADF but across all users, if the prime contractor is not meeting its commitments it’s high time they are called to account AusGov was more than generous in the early years of the project when they were not meeting miles stones and could have cost the company painful monetary penalties but accepted an additional aircraft

https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/dumpi ... t-why-now/
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 2):
Mercatorswoop

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

From RNZN facebook. Te Mana, re-painting.

One question. RNZN kept the water line "a little darker gray" not black in recent decade. But, this photo shows historical black band on the water line. Color scheme of RNZNS is going to change?

Actually, I prefer these black-band, than the current paint. It makes the warship looks more sleek.

Also notable is her small sonar dome.... Looks very small. It is equipped with Spherion-B HMS.

KiwiMuzz

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 15:34 notable is her small sonar dome
stabilisers a bit further back; common in ferries and cruise ships (boxy and easily thrown about), but in this case, do they relate to the top weight problem that the class has suffered from?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I thought F111 was an aircraft nicknamed Aardvark... :mrgreen:

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

This pick you can see the actual sonar bouy not just the dome...

donald_of_tokyo

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Ex-HMNZS Rotoiti and Pukaki will be soled to Irish Navy.

Good news for NZ.

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/i ... w-zealand/

This article made a mistake. It says "British-built New Zealand ships". But, these ships were built in Waitangi NZ, which was part of BAE, originally which was part of ex-Tennix defence, which was originally Whangarei Engineering and Construction Company.

If we say it is British company, Bofors will also be a British company, MTU a British company, and of course, Thales UK a Dutch company.

wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

Also good news for Republic of Ireland if they are realising that their current position of neutrality was nt deterring the Russian Navy from sailing around their shores. Yes I know the Russians chose to slightly relocate their planned naval exercises outside of Ireland territorial waters, but Ireland can't rely on that always happening, especially since recent invasion of Ukraine.

From New zealand angle, do we know if these two ships have / will be replaced? I hope that NZ also steps up their own military efforts given the increase in tensions in Indo Pacific. I have relatives there and so I hope NZ ups their own defence efforts. Especially if they might look to UK for replacement Frigate designs.....

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

wargame_insomniac wrote:From New zealand angle, do we know if these two ships have / will be replaced? I hope that NZ also steps up their own military efforts given the increase in tensions in Indo Pacific. I have relatives there and so I hope NZ ups their own defence efforts. Especially if they might look to UK for replacement Frigate designs.....
These were decommissioned so the RNZN can get new larger purpose built Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel or SOPV. The Project is now in it's design and planning phase and the vessel is expected around 2027 (From memory) according to the Defence Capability Plan 2019
wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

NighthawkNZ wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 19:57
wargame_insomniac wrote:From New zealand angle, do we know if these two ships have / will be replaced? I hope that NZ also steps up their own military efforts given the increase in tensions in Indo Pacific. I have relatives there and so I hope NZ ups their own defence efforts. Especially if they might look to UK for replacement Frigate designs.....
These were decommissioned so the RNZN can get new larger purpose built Southern Ocean Patrol Vessel or SOPV. The Project is now in it's design and planning phase and the vessel is expected around 2027 (From memory) according to the Defence Capability Plan 2019
Did they consider partnerring with RAN with their planned OPV? They have just launched the first of the larger Arafura-class in service, as well as the smaller Cape class for presumably inshore patrolling.

NighthawkNZ
New Zealand

Post by NighthawkNZ »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 05 Mar 2022, 20:27 Did they consider partnerring with RAN with their planned OPV? They have just launched the first of the larger Arafura-class in service, as well as the smaller Cape class for presumably inshore patrolling.
Totally different set of requirements and the Southerrn Ocean is unique compared to other oceans with it wave length and size... Also the vessel needs to be Polar class 5 which none of the Aussie OPV are...

If anything it would be closer to the Canadian Harry DeWolf Class
wargame_insomniacdonald_of_tokyo

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

SKB wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 20:13I thought F111 was an aircraft nicknamed Aardvark... :mrgreen:
The previous F111 NZ Frigate was HMNZS Otago. When attending an exercise with other navies, she was "attacked" one night and the middle 1 was changed with a few brush-strokes of paint...

Since then I always see in my mind FIFI painted on the side of the hull.
These users liked the author swoop for the post (total 2):
SKBwargame_insomniac

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

TSharpe28 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:50
I wonder what proportion of GDP that New Zealand spends on defence?

I had nt realised how few ships the NZ Navy has - 2 frigates, 3 support ships and 4 patrol vessels. I know they are taking delivery of 4*P8 Poseidon MPA.

I wonder whether they could be interested in T26 or even T31 Frigates as eventual replacement for their two Anzac class frigates when they get retired in 2030's.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 14:05
TSharpe28 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:50
I wonder what proportion of GDP that New Zealand spends on defence?

I had nt realised how few ships the NZ Navy has - 2 frigates, 3 support ships and 4 patrol vessels. I know they are taking delivery of 4*P8 Poseidon MPA.

I wonder whether they could be interested in T26 or even T31 Frigates as eventual replacement for their two Anzac class frigates when they get retired in 2030's.
If memory serves correctly it’s just a tick over 1.5% not sure if that remains now the Southern Ocean patrol ship has been cancelled