Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
Halidon
United States of America

Re: Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Post by Halidon »

SKB wrote:Boeing civilian planes are no longer American made, they are merely assembled at the giant Everett factory in Washington state. Their planes are built overseas worldwide in pieces and arrive in the US prebuilt in kit form.
That's a terribly stilted, and not terribly accurate, take on the situation. I'm sure the Boeing workers in Everett, Renton, and Charleston would take as much issue with that as the workers at Rosyth would if I said they weren't really building the QECs but were simply assembling kits. I know that lots of people still mistakenly think the US looks down at European gear for being European, bit's it might just be possible we don't have a requirement for A400M over here.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Halidon wrote:
SKB wrote:Boeing civilian planes are no longer American made, they are merely assembled at the giant Everett factory in Washington state. Their planes are built overseas worldwide in pieces and arrive in the US prebuilt in kit form.
That's a terribly stilted, and not terribly accurate, take on the situation. I'm sure the Boeing workers in Everett, Renton, and Charleston would take as much issue with that as the workers at Rosyth would if I said they weren't really building the QECs but were simply assembling kits. I know that lots of people still mistakenly think the US looks down at European gear for being European, bit's it might just be possible we don't have a requirement for A400M over here.
Best not mention either the T-X or ACV competitions then ;)

Joking aside, i agree with you.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Halidon wrote:I know that lots of people still mistakenly think the US looks down at European gear for being European, bit's it might just be possible we don't have a requirement for A400M over here.
I did wonder that when Mr Airbus started touting his aircraft for the USA. I suppose his program is not doing too well so it trying hard to turn it around.
@LandSharkUK

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Halidon wrote:I know that lots of people still mistakenly think the US looks down at European gear for being European, bit's it might just be possible we don't have a requirement for A400M over here.
I don't think it is desperation, but rather driven by a genuine need. Hence a genuine question to Halidon:
- what could replace the Herc in the US services?
- other than the Aibus Military offering, there are only two applicable projects on the go:
1. The Brazilian KC-390 (lifts 23-24 t)
2. The joint Russo-Indian w/o a name: "The planned joint development of the Multirole Transport Aircraft (MTA) - an airlifter in the 20-metric ton category - with United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) as principal collaborator will strengthen India's design and development capabilities for civil aircraft."
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Well, there is one thing about the A400 for the US: the original Stryker brigade deployability idea never worked with the C-130. But it would work with the A400.
On the other hand, that idea is now old and kind of surpassed by events and doctrine. The Stryker itself might be approaching the way out when the C-130J starts being replaced...

What is clear is that the weight and bulk of almost every vehicle and equipment is growing, and the C-130's cargo bay volumes, even before we talk about weights, is by now insufficient for most things.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

shark bait wrote: Stryker is a good high value example, however it was developed for the Americans by an American company
... apart from the hull, running gear and power-train which were all built for Canada's LAV III first.

Stryker is as American as BAE's CV90 would have been British if we bought it for FRES. I don't think anyone has ever tried to claim CV90 as British. The Stryker contract was awarded in 2000 to General Motors Defense (whose HQ was in Ontario), before General Dynamics bought the company in 2003.

The differences are the mission fit (lots more digital stuff in Stryker), greater variety of sub-variants to fit American ORBAT, a composite armour package (which is made in Canada by DEW) and the fact that there are thousands more Strykers built than there ever were LAV IIIs.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Wrekin762 wrote:
shark bait wrote: Stryker is a good high value example, however it was developed for the Americans by an American company
... apart from the hull, running gear and power-train which were all built for Canada's LAV III first.

Stryker is as American as BAE's CV90 would have been British if we bought it for FRES. I don't think anyone has ever tried to claim CV90 as British. The Stryker contract was awarded in 2000 to General Motors Defense (whose HQ was in Ontario), before General Dynamics bought the company in 2003.

The differences are the mission fit (lots more digital stuff in Stryker), greater variety of sub-variants to fit American ORBAT, a composite armour package (which is made in Canada by DEW) and the fact that there are thousands more Strykers built than there ever were LAV IIIs.

They did claim the FRES SV / Ajax is "british to the bootstraps", though. And that is "funny", since as we know the hull comes from Spain, assembly risked to stay in Spain (and in part stays there), the turret's cittadel is from germany, engine and transmission from germany (even though now MTU is Rolls Royce property), the gun is half french, etcetera etcetera...

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

Yeah, that's where governments start playing the balancing act on where something is actually manufactured and where "design authority" is held. :D

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

RAF Atlas Plans for ‘Stryking’ Heavy Lift Capability

No. 70 Squadron, the first Royal Air Force A400M Atlas Squadron, based at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, deployed one of its aircraft to Fort Bliss, Texas, in the USA to participate in the Network Integration Evaluation training exercise, on Sunday 27th September 2015.

Led by the Officer Commanding 70 Squadron, Wing Commander Simon Boyle and accompanied by Squadron Leader Kate Houghton of the Air Warfare Centre’s Joint Air Delivery Test and Evaluation Unit, the UK team worked in concert with US forces to complete load and tie-down trials with a US Army Stryker Infantry Combat Vehicle (ICV).

Royal Air Force A400M Atlas This event has significant implications for future NATO and UK / US interoperability as the loading exercise links directly to the vehicle’s certification for carriage in the A400M; an outcome which will help to meet one of the objectives of the NATO 2014 Wales summit, where leaders agreed to establish a Very High Readiness Joint Task Force as a "Spearhead Force" able to deploy at short notice to threats against NATO sovereignty. The Stryker family of vehicles figure prominently as part of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment in Vilseck, Germany.
Read More: http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf- ... y-06102015

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:The Stryker family of vehicles figure prominently as part of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment in Vilseck, Germany.
In case it has not been picked up from other threads, those are the Strykers that will be upgunned to 30 mm (army HMG and the near-relative USMC vehicle with 25 mm).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Ianmb17
United Kingdom

Post by Ianmb17 »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Awesome. Can it now do paradrops or fly into a hostile environment?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

downsizer wrote:
Awesome. Can it now do paradrops or fly into a hostile environment?

Oh, come on now. Don't you go hurrying it up... :roll:

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

After its vists to Georgia , Malaysia , South Korea , ZM405 as continued its world tour touching down at a Air base in Japan.
It's Great news that everything seems to going really well , it's a great advertisement for the A400m and its capabilities , just hope this world tour turns into a few sales ,

http://www.airforce-technology.com/news ... me-4704169

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Yep, the original customers shelled out an extra 3.5bn to the Export Levy facility, and it will be paid back from exports (if any; I think so far only Malaysia's order counts towards that).

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Just found this article about the progress which is being made regarding the configurations qualification program for the A400m , it brings up a interesting point on the subject of helicopter refuelling from the a400m or should I say why they believe they can not , which although was brought up a few months ago and was briefly discussed , it's the first time I've read an actual reason for this , and tbh it's not what I thought it was going to be .

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/ ... es-exports?

Apologies in advance if this as already been posted .

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Looks like my speculation was wrong the first time around when we discussed the problem:
" Surprisingly, the airflow problem is generated by the airlifter’s wings, rather than propwash from the large TP400 engines. Airbus has asked a research institute to investigate whether it would be feasible to extend the length of the refueling hose from the current 90 feet to 120-150 feet. "
- now that the root cause has been defined, the remedy could also be simple (but no guarantee that it will work)

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Looks like my speculation was wrong the first time around when we discussed the problem:
" Surprisingly, the airflow problem is generated by the airlifter’s wings, rather than propwash from the large TP400 engines. Airbus has asked a research institute to investigate whether it would be feasible to extend the length of the refueling hose from the current 90 feet to 120-150 feet. "
- now that the root cause has been defined, the remedy could also be simple (but no guarantee that it will work)

I must admit I would of put money on those 4 beasty TP400 engines and monster 8 bladed scimitar propeller blades being the problem tbh , but if the article is correct and its due to the A400m wings , the best fix for this issue would be what you said Airbus was doing which is investigating into extending the refuelling hoses , its brilliantly simple , and would with out any doubts be the cheapest , easiest , quickest solution to this problem , keeping it simple is always the best option in my opinon.

I just hope Airbus don't have a melt down and start ripping wings apart and redesigning them to fix this problem :lol: :lol: (that was a joke by the way )

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

What about winglets? Don't they smooth airflow - and Airbus do tend to fit them to their other planes.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Little J wrote:What about winglets? Don't they smooth airflow - and Airbus do tend to fit them to their other planes.
Good point ! Airbus have been leading the way in use of winglets and sharklets on cilivian aircraft for a number of years , they have incorporated them into the c295 military light transport/AEW versions but for some reason not the A400m , no idea why tbh , but I did hear rumours many years ago that winglets was a no go on the a400m because of the airflow effect being created from the 8 bladed scimatar propellers in flight , not sure if there's any truth in it ?,

winglets have been proven to reduce fuel consumption , and improve the aerodynamics of the aircraft/wing in regards to lift and drag , and as you said they help smooth airflow , which I would think could only help in regards to performing inflight helicopter fueling ,

My guess is there's a reason why Airbus didn't incorporate winglets on the A400m , and it's not a oversight in my opinion , I must admit a few extra metres of hosing still seems the cheapest , easiest , quickest solution to the problem :D

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

A400 landing on grass :-