Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
RichardIC
United Kingdom

Re: Airbus A400M Atlas (RAF)

Post by RichardIC »

Lord Jim wrote:We really could do with utilising the AAR option of at least a few of our A400, if only for the Rotary fleet. Having one in the Falklands to support the Typhoons would be useful as well rather than use a Voyager.
The Falklands is posing a real dilemma now that the C-130 are going. It would seem to make sense to replace one C-130 and one Voyager with two AAR equipped A400s that can perform tanker, maritime patrol, SAR, casevac if a contract variation could be agreed with Airtanker.

I've read very little/nothing about Airtanker operations in the Falklands but I'd imagine having to maintain a Voyager in the open and retain crew and technicians down south is a burden they may wish to give up, depending on how commercially rewarding it is.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

RichardIC wrote:
Lord Jim wrote:We really could do with utilising the AAR option of at least a few of our A400, if only for the Rotary fleet. Having one in the Falklands to support the Typhoons would be useful as well rather than use a Voyager.
The Falklands is posing a real dilemma now that the C-130 are going. It would seem to make sense to replace one C-130 and one Voyager with two AAR equipped A400s that can perform tanker, maritime patrol, SAR, casevac if a contract variation could be agreed with Airtanker.

I've read very little/nothing about Airtanker operations in the Falklands but I'd imagine having to maintain a Voyager in the open and retain crew and technicians down south is a burden they may wish to give up, depending on how commercially rewarding it is.
The a400m replaced the Hercules in the Falklands a few years ago

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
SW1 wrote:You will want to clear a number of the parachute operations as the French Air Force has before we get to worrying about aar capability.
Do we need to do that, separately?

Isn't the next thing the 'drop' platform: the deliver other than men, e.g. vehicles?
We may use different parachutes to the french I believe

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

topman wrote:
Ron5 wrote:
topman wrote:I'd disagree, which of the helicopters are ready to aar right?
Latest Marine Merlins. Shown equipped with refueling probes when they entered service.

Like I said, I wonder how many are ready right now.
Oh dear, did Mr RAF forget the mighty wizard ?? :D :D :D :D

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

SW1 wrote:The a400m replaced the Hercules in the Falklands a few years ago
Did it? That completely passed me by. Thank you.

I think the same logic may still apply regarding two A400s rather than two singletons. At least they could refuel each other.

andrew98
United Kingdom

Post by andrew98 »

Less types of spares, possible less maintenance bodies there also?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

been a busy day here so far 2 French an one RAF A400's been in and out of the local airfield 4 stream passes over the farm at no more 300 ft also a tiger hanging around to the north might be working up to a local EX and night flying which about this time most years

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://esut.de/en/2021/09/meldungen/29 ... bgenommen/

The European armaments agency OCCAR-EA approved the aircraft standard "New Standard Operating Clearance 2.5" (NSOC 2.5) on September 8th on behalf of the A400M program nations, according to a communication from the Federal Office for Equipment, Information Technology and Use of the Bundeswehr (BAAINBw) .

With the NSCO 2.5, the user nations have access to a large number of improvements for already delivered, but also for completely new capabilities. The Federal Office for Equipment, Information Technology and Use of the Federal Armed Forces names among others

the ability to simultaneously lower parachutists with automatically deployed parachutes,

the ability to set down loads using the pull-out method,

ground-system-independent instrument approaches
further optimized self-protection system (level 2b) and

an initial qualification for automatic low-level flight.

The OCCAR-EA also refers to reduced and military operating standards and the integrated calculation of aircraft performance with TOPOCS (Take-Off Performance On Board Computer System).

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I wonder how many we are pursuing?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »