HM Forces General Service Vehicles

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Re: HM Forces General Service Vehicles

Post by shark bait »

raven111 wrote: Yeah, but from the looks of things it's designed to be more at home in Guildford than on Salisbury Plain.
Very true, though hopefully Jaguar Land Rovers special vehicle operations will jump at the chance to build a real rugged land rover again, I would say its good PR to say our equipment is so good the British army use it.
@LandSharkUK

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

shark bait wrote:Very true, though hopefully Jaguar Land Rovers special vehicle operations will jump at the chance to build a real rugged land rover again, I would say its good PR to say our equipment is so good the British army use it.
I guess it depends on whether you consider Jaguar Land Rover to be a British company. In many respects the Harley MT350Es used by the Army for despatch are more British since they were originally designed and built by a completely British company (CCM) - with a different engine capacity but otherwise the same - and then Harley bought the designs and rights when it became a NATO standard. Jaguar on the other hand is owned by Indian Tata Motors, and is really a multinational using designs and components from all over.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Tiny Toy wrote: I guess it depends on whether you consider Jaguar Land Rover to be a British company. In many respects the Harley MT350Es used by the Army for despatch are more British since they were originally designed and built by a completely British company (CCM) - with a different engine capacity but otherwise the same - and then Harley bought the designs and rights when it became a NATO standard. Jaguar on the other hand is owned by Indian Tata Motors, and is really a multinational using designs and components from all over.
Jaguar is undoubtedly a British company, with a century of history in the westmidlands where they employ thousands of Britons to engineer, design and manufacture thousands of vehicles a year.

Tata may own it, but Jaguar is still British, and Tata still want it to be. Tata ownership has been great for the company and the nation bringing millions of pounds of inwards investment to the country. Also every company utilises and international supply chain, that's irrelevant.
@LandSharkUK

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

I guess you can pick and choose however you like. Jaguar had nothing to do with Land Rovers, they were built by the Rover company which is thoroughly dead now in all its incarnations, and Land Rover is now just a brand which has been owned by Americans, Germans, and now Indians - as you say creating British jobs, but also profits elsewhere, just like HP Sauce or Cadbury's. Thinking of it as British is just nostalgia.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

GastonGlocker
United States of America

Post by GastonGlocker »

Great thread! Thanks for the information. Glock on!

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

Also, wasn't the Foxhound supposed to replace the Wolf in general, or was it just the Snatches?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

weren't the 6 tonners and that family built by ERF for UK and NZDF?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

with the end of the Land Rover Defender being Nigh because it doesn't comply with EU regulations and its Production moving to India who won't be allowed to import them into Europe. What will be the Wolf replacement? because will we be able to trickle replace them like we have done with Landrover in the past or will we be buying G wagons or Pajeros in the future?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:
I do not believe that there is any mass production of any haulage trucks in the U.K?

O/T - R.I.P. Leyland, Scammel, Thorneycroft, AEC, Bedford, Alvis, Dennis, etc, etc, etc...
I believe Leyland is back from the dead and producing, all be it foreign owened
The UK has a surprisingly massive automotive industry. (Also tractors are pretty much lorrys that go even slower, we build those too)
@LandSharkUK

raven111
United Kingdom

Post by raven111 »

shark bait wrote:
arfah wrote:
I do not believe that there is any mass production of any haulage trucks in the U.K?

O/T - R.I.P. Leyland, Scammel, Thorneycroft, AEC, Bedford, Alvis, Dennis, etc, etc, etc...
I believe Leyland is back from the dead and producing.
The UK has a surprisingly massive automotive industry. (Also tractors are pretty much lorrys that go even slower, we build those too)
Leyland just puts together knock-downs it gets from DAF.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

raven111 wrote:
Leyland just puts together knock-downs it gets from DAF.
Indeed but there is still engineering, design and manufacturing going on
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

".......................,,,,."

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

arfah wrote:Re: Leyland. They're not even labelled as 'Leyland' and they're certainly not chasing military contracts.

http://www.leylandtrucksltd.co.uk/products.asp
Yep, and even if they were I get the feeling they would struggle competing with the Germans on this one.
@LandSharkUK

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

To replace the Landrover might they be as well buying a bulk load of Ford Ranger/VW Amarocks etc. that kinda of 5 seater 4x4 pickup ?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Mercedes G wagons?
were using same trucks as the germans now so why not?

Is the Pinzgauer staying or is it up for replacement?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

talkins of cast and scrapped vehicles saw a Warthog with kremlin type mesh on it on the M4 on a low loader the tractor of which had Scrap Metal recovery on it.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

arfah wrote:
Dahedd wrote:To replace the Landrover might they be as well buying a bulk load of Ford Ranger/VW Amarocks etc. that kinda of 5 seater 4x4 pickup ?
Recruiting and outreach teams tend to use and also for predeployment training for op tosca.

Personally, I hope not because there's no room for comms kit and personal kit.

4x4's with crew cab and work body would be more suitable (A bit like an off-road BT van).

That's what I meant by pickup, sorry wasn't clear. I find myself looking at them more & more for my mountain biking (mate has one for his work) but I have no need for that kinda 4x4.

I've seen an Army recruitment Ford Ranger in Aberdeen recently while the mountain rescue guys up here seem to have Nissans now.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

yes most of the recruiting teams have them.
in Iraq at start of tellic there was so much white fleet because we didn't have enough landrovers in theatre and to be honest the pajeros etc did a magnificent job for admin moves etc. The Irish army has operated nissan patrols for many years doing allot of what the land rover has been doing in the british army. If it was more cost effective to have this type of vehicle in an almost 3rd line role why not.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »