Brexit - The UK's EU Referendum & Withdrawal

For discussions on politics and current events.

Should the UK now withdraw from the Eurovision Song Contest ?!

:wave: Yes!
61%
:evil: No!
39%

Total votes: 49

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Re: Brexit - The UK's EU Referendum & Withdrawal

Post by Caribbean »

If he was so keen to keep ARM in the UK, why did he sell it to Softbank. I would really have liked to keep my ARM shares, but the sale was forced, so I had no option. I made some money, yes, but I would have preferred to have kept my investments long-term.
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post:
dmereifield
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

From that article "Hauser, now a venture capital investor in a series of UK tech companies, sold his shareholding in Arm in 2016 when it was bought by Japan’s SoftBank" so I would say that both the proceeds that went to him as well as his vision are serving the UK well.

The British Icon, the (new) Landie is being built in a factory in France, btw. We have a v blurred view of what is strategic, exemplified by the defence industry policy (that has been changing of late, though):
- trying to keep a spoon in every broth, thus spreading the funds so thin that nothing comes out cutting edge... and worst of all, by constantly aiming at the 'high end' we end up building a few templates (so as to start with the next gen ASAP) but numbers are so low that they are at times bordering on the irrelevant
These users liked the author ArmChairCivvy for the post:
jedibeeftrix
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ThreeHeadedLion
United Kingdom

Post by ThreeHeadedLion »

Caribbean wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 08:52 If he was so keen to keep ARM in the UK, why did he sell it to Softbank. I would really have liked to keep my ARM shares, but the sale was forced, so I had no option. I made some money, yes, but I would have preferred to have kept my investments long-term.
The buy out price was rather generous. I had a pretty concentrated position in my SIPP too and was rather happy to see the 40% premium.

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 09:44 The British Icon, the (new) Landie is being built in a factory in France
It isn't a British Icon it is a rip off being built by a billionaire with a Land Rover fetish.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

tomuk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 00:48
ArmChairCivvy wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 09:44 The British Icon, the (new) Landie is being built in a factory in France
It isn't a British Icon it is a rip off being built by a billionaire with a Land Rover fetish.

And i believe the only reason why was a factory be come available in France from Daimler and it was quicker than the build a new factory in UK to keep to the production schedule

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/in ... uilt-in-uk
These users liked the author R686 for the post:
jedibeeftrix

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

tomuk wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 00:48 It isn't a British Icon it is a rip off
With the definition adopted within defence, I am (still) relaxed ;) about claiming it to be 'British to the bootstraps'
These users liked the author ArmChairCivvy for the post:
SW1
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

On a more serious note, why might it be that we will get the wooden spoon prize next year, in the G7 Growth League
... the answer might be hidden :angel: (in the thread title!)

Anyone find it strange that Candidate Truss is not boasting about any new trade deals struck?

PS Russia might come out -8.5%; but then again, they have dropped out of this league. So no consolation

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 15:19 On a more serious note, why might it be that we will get the wooden spoon prize next year, in the G7 Growth League
... the answer might be hidden :angel: (in the thread title!)

Anyone find it strange that Candidate Truss is not boasting about any new trade deals struck?

PS Russia might come out -8.5%; but then again, they have dropped out of this league. So no consolation
Grow forecasts are always wrong! Gd place to start for reasons maybe the highest tax burden since the war no incentive for work!

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 25 Jul 2022, 09:44 "Hauser, now a venture capital investor in a series of UK tech companies, sold his shareholding in Arm in 2016 when it was bought by Japan’s SoftBank" so I would say that both the proceeds that went to him as well as his vision are serving the UK well.
I'm sure he's a very talented man - likewise the (unfortunately, considerably smaller) proceeds of my forced sale were re-invested into UK companies, but the point was that it's a bit rich of him to criticise the UK Government for not recognising that ARM is/ was a "great national asset" (what do you expect when lawyers and arts grads have a stranglehold on political positions), when he sold it out of UK ownership and, not only that, allowed a sale that forced the many tens of thousands of small British investors out of their share holdings.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

This is quite a volte face from the Daily Telegraph:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

zanahoria wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 19:35 This is quite a volte face from the Daily Telegraph:

Do you really think everything will become hunky dory if you re-join even with the opt outs gone

Cameron could not get reform when you were in and the balance hanging before Brussels. Just imagine how Brussels will show contempt for the UK if you asked to rejoin.

Think you will lose bigger face with the international community bigger fish to fry with the CPTPP once you get in

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

zanahoria wrote: 15 Oct 2022, 19:35 This is quite a volte face from the Daily Telegraph:

This is all down to the ongoing gureilla warfare by the remoaners and the establishment against the wishes of the british people.. this will continue for as long as people dont accept the vote.

Do people really think that if the remoaners reverse brexit - that will be well? No - it wont. The brexiters will launch their gureilla warefare ...

Stability will return once people re-accept that once the vote has been cast and counted - we accept the decision and move on ...

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

Less relevant, less wealthy, less sovereign.

Brexit is failing. Like communism, it will always be that it wasn’t pure enough, it wasn’t done properly, etc, etc.
These users liked the author zanahoria for the post:
UKD

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

zanahoria wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 12:41 Less relevant, less wealthy, less sovereign.

Brexit is failing. Like communism, it will always be that it wasn’t pure enough, it wasn’t done properly, etc, etc.
Those are just your opinions

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

dmereifield wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 12:51
zanahoria wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 12:41 Less relevant, less wealthy, less sovereign.

Would love to be wrong.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

zanahoria wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 15:05

Would love to be wrong.
Just out of interest would you be able to define why you think we are

Less relevant -
Less wealthy-
Less sovereign-

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

The fact that those that are anti-Brexit are trying to pin all our woes on Brexit is hardly surprising.

What people need to realise is that Brexit was a result of a divided nation that was fed up of being taken in a direction they were unhappy with without a say.

What we need is less polar politics, we are out of the EU, but yes we need a close economic and security arrangement as a sovereign nation.

Like the fuel crisis a few years ago, everyone is quick to over exaggerate a problem which just makes any problem bigger - more balanced and long term views would do us all the world of good.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Would love to be wrong.
You can rest easy then

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

SW1 wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 15:56

Would love to be wrong.

Less relevant -
Less wealthy-
Less sovereign-
Less wealthy: Mark Carney’s observation from a few days ago

“Put it this way, in 2016 the British economy was 90 per cent the size of Germany’s. Now it is less than 70 per cent. And that calculation was made before today.”

Less relevant: Certainly within the economic sphere of the EU, we no longer have any influence in shaping the economic policy of the world’s largest trading bloc on our doorstep.

Less sovereign:The EU is a regulatory superpower. This means we’ll conform to their standards standards without any say in creating those standards.

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

dmereifield wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 16:49
You can rest easy then
Well played.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

zanahoria wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 18:40
SW1 wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 15:56

Would love to be wrong.

Less relevant -
Less wealthy-
Less sovereign-
Less wealthy: Mark Carney’s observation from a few days ago

“Put it this way, in 2016 the British economy was 90 per cent the size of Germany’s. Now it is less than 70 per cent. And that calculation was made before today.”

Less relevant: Certainly within the economic sphere of the EU, we no longer have any influence in shaping the economic policy of the world’s largest trading bloc on our doorstep.

Less sovereign:The EU is a regulatory superpower. This means we’ll conform to their standards standards without any say in creating those standards.
Interesting I’ve seen analysis that shows carneys analysis highly disingenuous to put it mildly, he hardly had a got record as being governor of the Bank of England.

With the Germany economy being absolutely decimated due to there energy policy wonder how comparisons will go over the next 12 months and beyond.

UK growth has slowed since 2008 the increase in business tax will make it worse now going fwd but it has been growing slowly less the massive lockdown hit.

Less relevant in setting EU laws yeah it’s why we left, not sure how that makes us less relevant we seem to quite relevant in security of the European neighbourhood, also seem to be quite relevant as macron wanted us to come along to his new club not to mention the arrival of quite a few heads of state into London only a few weeks ago suggests we’re still relevant to others.

I’m not sure we do conform to there standards most standards are international and as streamlined by design or that, that is the definition of sovereignty that’s usually around setting the laws of the land and our foreign policy and freedoms.

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

TheLoneRanger wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 10:27
This is all down to the ongoing gureilla warfare by the remoaners and the establishment against the wishes of the british people.. this will continue for as long as people dont accept the vote.
Yep, those pesky remoaners ruining Brexit with their 80 seat majority; their famous Brexit denying press barons (Murdoch, Dacre & Barclay Bros); not to mention their outrageously pro EU BBC chair Richard Sharp who has donated £400k to the Conservative Party & is ex director of hard right think tank CPS (Centre for Policy Studies).

It’s not all bad news, Ambassador Alexander Yakovenko seemed pleased with the Brexit outcome:
“Britain is on its knees. It will not rise again for a very long time”

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

zanahoria wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 20:10 It’s not all bad news, Ambassador Alexander Yakovenko seemed pleased with the Brexit outcome:
“Britain is on its knees. It will not rise again for a very long time”
I'm sure you are cock-a-hoop about that.

But he's wrong.

By the way - where did my last two comments on this thread disappear to?
Winston Churchill

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

The bitterness of the remain establishment and the ignoring of concerns predominantly in communities across the north of England and how they “just had to be educated” resulted in the outcome we now have. No one was prepared to acknowledge there concerns were justified and the vote decision to leave was not accepted and in a large part made making a deal too difficult. The actions of the Labour Party to PM May created even more bad feeling.

To me the most pragmatic landing ground to satisfy most concerns was to join the efta and set a 12.5% corp tax for any business setting up or investing in areas outside of London and south east. This would of allowed us to be outside the common agricultural and fishery’s policy and the political framework of the EU while retaining trade and movement across Europe.

The issue of illegal immigration is as difficult to solve outside the eu as in and to which there is no easy answers.

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

“Less relevant in setting EU laws yeah it’s why we left, not sure how that makes us less relevant…”

EU regulations, which we used to have significant input in shaping (to our benefit), are a standard for exporting businesses around the world to meet because in doing so it makes it easier to access a large, wealthy & sophisticated market.
Not being part of the regulation making process makes us irrelevant when it comes to influencing the direction these regulations take. So what? Well they’re quite powerful in the sense that nobody is going to make any effort to follow the British Kite mark (or whatever the logo is for meeting UK standards) when by meeting the requirements of the CE mark you can sell to a far bigger market (ironically this will include the UK as the UK currently isn’t, to my knowledge, insisting on “higher than EU standards” for goods coming in to the UK.) In a nutshell, the EU are effectively making International Standard regulations and any objections we have to them are now irrelevant when previously as members of the EU they were not.

“…we seem to quite relevant in security of the European neighbourhood…”

Yes this has been & still is the case. But Brexit is making us less wealthy.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/b ... nak-agrees

Which means more defence cuts. Watch others, like France, Germany & especially the Baltic states step up.

“…also seem to be quite relevant as macron wanted us to come along to his new club…”

We’re still relevant, only less so in the sense that we will bring less to the table as we get poorer.

“…not to mention the arrival of quite a few heads of state into London only a few weeks ago suggests we’re still relevant to others.”

True, but I’d be very surprised if the next one attracts the same turnout. I like HM Charles III, but there’s no way he’ll enjoy the same same level of affection/soft power as his mother.