RFA Argus (Casualty Receiving Ship / Aviation Training Ship) (RFA)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: RFA Argus (Casualty Receiving Ship / Aviation Training Ship) (RFA)

Post by Repulse »

Interesting that the 1SL yesterday in the commons started to raise the option of Argus remaining till 2026 (a 2yr extension).

Given the broader fleet composition the Aviation Support Ship requirement remains key and there are now only 4 ships in the fleet that can operation more than 2 helicopters in the fleet (2 CVFs, RFA Argus and RFA Fort Victoria).

Pairing Argus with a LSD for the LRG(S) seems to be the logical short term solution to me.

With the recent RoRo RFI then it seems the option of converting a few Points is dead. This really leaves only the MRSS as an option, but with it's potential MCM mothership role (also mentioned by the 1SL) then we could end up in a FSSS situation where the requirement does not match the budget.

My vote remains for a 3rd flat-top :D
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Tempest414
France

Re: RFA Argus (Casualty Receiving Ship / Aviation Training Ship) (RFA)

Post by Tempest414 »

Repulse wrote:Pairing Argus with a LSD for the LRG(S) seems to be the logical short term solution to me.
As I said 8 weeks ago as she is just out of refit now is the time to send her EoS as the lead ship of LRG south for the next 4 years along with 2 Merlin and 2 Wildcats .

Argus along with the Gulf based LSD and the 2 Indo-Pac B'2's would make a good first step for long term deployment EoS
Repulse wrote:My vote remains for a 3rd flat-top
at least we can agree on this if not what it should look like and do