Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
serge750
United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Post by serge750 »

Yeh, bit of a waist, the only upside is that the construction would maintain a few jobs for a while - my vote would be invest the money in the support ships to maintain the jobs or a dedicated hospital/disaster relief ship... better for PR aswell & they could "spin" it as not a cut to the aid budget...

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

serge750 wrote:Yeh, bit of a waist, the only upside is that the construction would maintain a few jobs for a while - my vote would be invest the money in the support ships to maintain the jobs or a dedicated hospital/disaster relief ship... better for PR aswell & they could "spin" it as not a cut to the aid budget...

Not much chop for the dignitaries and there cocktail parties tho,

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Would a VIP converted container be good enough :lol:

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

According to the Sunday Times HMQ wants nothing to do with the Boris yacht and has refused to let it be named after the Duke of Edinburgh.

So maybe need a new Boris yacht thread.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

I suspect that the £200 million won't come from defence budget, so it's not really an either/or vs e.g. 2 x F35 (or whatever). On the plus side, it will have some tangible economic benefits (if data pertaining to HMS Britannia is to be believed) and it's another (small) boost for UK shipbuilding

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

A case for such a ship made here

https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com ... p.html?m=1

Have to say I’m not that convinced

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

dmereifield wrote:On the plus side, it will have some tangible economic benefits (if data pertaining to HMS Britannia is to be believed)
This is the problem. Where is that data? Some people have tried to come up with a big number for the amount of trade generated, but that's not data. Data is the detailed stuff that allows you to come up with the big number and to the best on my knowledge there isn't any.

The advantage of the former HMY was that it was intimately associated with the monarch in a much more parochial age. We're living in a different era, where Chinese credit does the talking, not cocktails on a Royal Yacht. And the Royal Family seem distinctly unimpressed with the Boris yacht.
SW1 wrote:A case for such a ship made here

Pinstriped can talk a lot of BS. What he has got right here is the possible impact on the defence budget and the need for a proper audit trail. Actually, if this is supposed to be about boosting trade, what there needs to be first of all is a detailed and robust business case.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

12 x 14” Guns? :mrgreen:

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

RichardIC wrote:
dmereifield wrote:On the plus side, it will have some tangible economic benefits (if data pertaining to HMS Britannia is to be believed)
This is the problem. Where is that data? Some people have tried to come up with a big number, but that's not data. Data is the detailed stuff that allows you to come up with the big number and to the best on my knowledge there isn't any.

The advantage of the former HMY was that it was intimately associated with the monarch in a much more parochial age. We're living in a different era, where Chinese credit does the talking, not cocktails on a Royal Yacht. And the Royal Family seem distinctly unimpressed with the Boris yacht.

Pinstriped can talk a lot of BS. What he has got right here is the possible impact on the defence budget and the need for a proper audit trail. Actually, if this is supposed to be about boosting trade, what there needs to be first of all is a detailed and robust business case.
Well, let's see how this floating embassy and conference centre goes. We'll better understand the rational and it's merits (or otherwise) when we see the winning design

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

dmereifield wrote:
RichardIC wrote:
This is the problem. Where is that data? Some people have tried to come up with a big number, but that's not data. Data is the detailed stuff that allows you to come up with the big number and to the best on my knowledge there isn't any.

Well, let's see how this floating embassy and conference centre goes. We'll better understand the rational and it's merits (or otherwise) when we see the winning design
It’s an argument however I thought that was the champion of the grey funnel lines fwd deployed vessels when they pull into port. Having said that the countries we want to do the trade deals with already have significant embassies that can host parties and are much closer to the location of decision makers than ports.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

"Ambassador" might be a good name for this ship. Although that name also reminds me of Ferrero Rocher chocolates....

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

SW1 wrote:
dmereifield wrote:
RichardIC wrote:

It’s an argument however I thought that was the champion of the grey funnel lines fwd deployed vessels when they pull into port. Having said that the countries we want to do the trade deals with already have significant embassies that can host parties and are much closer to the location of decision makers than ports.
Dignitaries, politicians and businessmen/women will love the pomp and prestige of being hosted at the events on board (a nice change of scenery from the Embassies they're used to). There are potential upsides (time will tell of they matierialse), and I don't see any downsides....so I'm happy to see how it goes, and look forward to a UK shipyard having some extra work

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

RichardIC wrote: a much more parochial age
"Parochial" is not the first word I would have chosen to describe the British Empire .
SW1 wrote: the countries we want to do the trade deals with already have significant embassies that can host parties
Having spent a little bit of my life "abroad", I can assure you that there is a significant difference between a routine embassy bash and the Royal Yacht pulling into port. British Embassies have a justly deserved reputation for hosting rather good cocktail parties (all that bonded booze helps), but if you want to do business, as I was once told, go to the US Embassy (the UK Trade Attaché will be happy to give you their number).

Unfortunately, British Embassies seem to have something of dysfunctional relationship with anything to do with "trade" - it's one of their responsibilities, but they are, after all, diplomats, not shop keepers, don'cha'know. Britannia brought top level trade negotiations and the potential for major contracts, which was a completely different proposition (and getting falling-down drunk in front of Royalty does little to raise your social standing, whereas seems to be expected at a common-or-garden Embassy "do").

There again, there is an old Sumerian proverb that runs something like "all business deals should be done in a bar. In the morning, when they are sober, everyone should return to the bar and ask the barkeeper what was agreed", so maybe the Embassies (as the barkeeper) have the right idea.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Well to be honest, I like the idea to a degree but the ship must be multi-role if it’s to be HMS

In my mind the ship can host the dignitaries for trade missions convert to a hospital ship at a time able to do a little bit of HADR and quite possible become a training ship for jnr officers and a helicopter training ship

A enlarged MV Sycamore comes to mind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Sycamore

Other ideas

https://www.boatinternational.com/yacht ... ike--42967

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

I am happy with it if the the money comes from the Departments of International trade and Business energy & industrial strategy as long as they pay for the ship and pay the RN or the RFA for the crew its all good

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Caribbean wrote:
"Parochial" is not the first word I would have chosen to describe the British Empire .
SW1 wrote: the countries we want to do the trade deals with already have significant embassies that can host parties
Having spent a little bit of my life "abroad", I can assure you that there is a significant difference between a routine embassy bash and the Royal Yacht pulling into port. British Embassies have a justly deserved reputation for hosting rather good cocktail parties (all that bonded booze helps), but if you want to do business, as I was once told, go to the US Embassy (the UK Trade Attaché will be happy to give you their number).

Unfortunately, British Embassies seem to have something of dysfunctional relationship with anything to do with "trade" - it's one of their responsibilities, but they are, after all, diplomats, not shop keepers, don'cha'know. Britannia brought top level trade negotiations and the potential for major contracts, which was a completely different proposition (and getting falling-down drunk in front of Royalty does little to raise your social standing, whereas seems to be expected at a common-or-garden Embassy "do").

There again, there is an old Sumerian proverb that runs something like "all business deals should be done in a bar. In the morning, when they are sober, everyone should return to the bar and ask the barkeeper what was agreed", so maybe the Embassies (as the barkeeper) have the right idea.
Caribbean wrote:

We could be waiting a while for it to pull into Zurich harbour mind.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

SW1 wrote:We could be waiting a while for it to pull into Zurich harbour mind.
Upgrade the Royal Barge, maybe?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Good. Naming the yacht Philip would not go down well in some parts of the world.

How about "Winston Churchill". Less popular in Islington but then again they don't contribute much to the UK economy there so who cares?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

If we are going to this then maybe HMY Royal Oak

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Tempest414 wrote:If we are going to this then maybe HMY Royal Oak
A good place to hide from republicans bent on regicide?

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

The fact that the idea of a new Royal Yacht has been flagged to The Queen, she's indicated she wants nothing to do with it, and Boris is pressing on regardless shows a staggering lack of respect for HRH.

It's the sort of thing only a screaming narcissist would do.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

RichardIC wrote:The fact that the idea of a new Royal Yacht has been flagged to The Queen, she's indicated she wants nothing to do with it, and Boris is pressing on regardless shows a staggering lack of respect for HRH.

It's the sort of thing only a screaming narcissist would do.
Assuming of course the newspaper is correct.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

SKB wrote:So HMS instead of HMY. Will they try the "she could be a useful hospital ship in a conflict" thing next?!
To be fair everyone always knew that the hospital ship role was a load of nonsense, it was just a cover for its real role as a mobile seat of government in the event of WW3 (hence the extensive comms suite and huge number of RN Signallers who were permanently onboard...).

Apparently one of the plans was to station the Britannia in a remote Scottish loch as it would be shielded from any near explosions and fallout..

I actually think that the Royal Family are not that keen on the Royal Yacht either...both Charles and William have tried to keep any excess to a minimum (or at least largely out of the public eye). Boris building them a great big yacht I suspect might not have their full backing...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Used to enjoy a fair bit of his stuff....but he's gone a bit 'native' recently...wonder if he's reached a little higher in his career...