Future Solid Support Ship

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Repulse
Donator
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 156 times
United Kingdom

Re: Future Solid Support Ship

Post by Repulse »

SW1 wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 09:11 It depends what you mean by troop transport role. Every study ever done shows keeping troops embarked on a ship reduces there fighting capability quite quickly. The way you get troops anywhere is to fly them in the a330s you transport there equipment by sea and marry up the to at a port.
True, but like the Falklands proved sometimes flying troops to friendly airports isn’t an option. I think some level of modularity (or ability to rapidly convert) would be a good middle ground.

Would still argue for 3 FSS and 2 JSBL (covering the Aviation Support role also) is the best option, combined with 3 new LPDs.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SW1
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 233 times
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Repulse wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 10:35
SW1 wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 09:11 It depends what you mean by troop transport role. Every study ever done shows keeping troops embarked on a ship reduces there fighting capability quite quickly. The way you get troops anywhere is to fly them in the a330s you transport there equipment by sea and marry up the to at a port.
True, but like the Falklands proved sometimes flying troops to friendly airports isn’t an option. I think some level of modularity (or ability to rapidly convert) would be a good middle ground.

Would still argue for 3 FSS and 2 JSBL (covering the Aviation Support role also) is the best option, combined with 3 new LPDs.
I think if we looking at allocating resource and being realistic there isn’t anywhere were flying to a friendly airport or port won’t be an option going fwd if we are to intervene somewhere.

Repulse
Donator
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 156 times
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

SW1 wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 10:49 I think if we looking at allocating resource and being realistic there isn’t anywhere were flying to a friendly airport or port won’t be an option going fwd if we are to intervene somewhere.
Friendly or secured port I agree with you, relying on friendly or secured airports I have doubts that even in austere times we should be making that assumption.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

SW1
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 233 times
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Repulse wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 13:41
SW1 wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 10:49 I think if we looking at allocating resource and being realistic there isn’t anywhere were flying to a friendly airport or port won’t be an option going fwd if we are to intervene somewhere.
Friendly or secured port I agree with you, relying on friendly or secured airports I have doubts that even in austere times we should be making that assumption.
To an extent yes but beyond special or small scale operations I think it applies to airfields as well.