Operation Weald - Mediterranean

Discuss current, historical or potential future deployments, as well the defence of the UK's overseas interests.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Operation Weald - Mediterranean

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

UK Troops to Smash Migrants Trade: Navy to Stop Flood of Refugees from Libya
BRITAIN is poised to send 200 Royal Marines to the Mediterranean to lead a blockade aimed at “smashing” Libya’s people-trafficking gangs.

The move, which would see the UK spearhead a multinational operation off the coast of North Africa, comes amid claims that Islamic State fanatics are using the refugee crisis to smuggle fighters into Britain and Europe.

The UK’s leading role in the blockade was described as the “quid pro quo” for David Cameron’s insistence that Britain would not accept migrants fleeing Libya for Europe.

[...]

The new proposals will instead see Britain provide a Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessel, thought to be RFA Lyme Bay, to form the core of the blockade.

Part of its remit will be to destroy vessels used by people traffickers so that they cannot be used again.

The plans are expected to form part of talks at tomorrow’s Foreign Affairs Council meeting in Brussels, which is to be attended by Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond and Defence Secretary Michael Fallon, though they will need to be ratified at next month’s European Council meeting.

They follow David Cameron’s declaration last month that Britain would “be there to smash (people-trafficking) gangs and stabilise the region”.

Though not technically a warship, RFA Lyme Bay’s cavernous hold is able to carry 24 Challenger 2 tanks, and she is defended with two 30mm DS30B rapid fire cannons, four Mk.44 mini-guns, six 7.62mm general purpose machine guns and two Phalanx radar-controlled gun systems.

Her 60-man crew includes dedicated gunners.

Sources at the MoD said she would carry 200 Royal Marines, three Merlin helicopters and fast boats, which will be deployed to intercept migrant-carrying vessels.

New Offshore Raiding Craft assault boats fitted with armoured panels will be used to give Royal Marines a limited form of protection.

Last night Whitehall sources said the Prime Minister would want the legal support of a United Nations mandate before he commits any military resources.

A senior naval source said that planning was at a very early stage, with ships and personnel “warned for operations” pending a political decision in the next few weeks.

[...]

Last night former First Sea Lord, Admiral Lord West, said: “I have been arguing for this for many weeks.

"A blockade of this type has never been done before but I see absolutely no reason why it should not be very effective.

“It should have a UN resolution backing it, and the force should consist of European nations.

“Of course, we would need to get agreement of both Libyan governments so that we can return people there before destroying the vessels.

“With all that you can build up a force with a rotating command element and completely seal up the coast.”
Read More: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/577809 ... gees-Libya

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Re: UK Troops to Smash Migrants Trade: Navy to Stop Flood of Refugees from Libya

Post by WhitestElephant »

Excellent development. Good to see Cameron and Britain take a lead in this matter. Its about time we start targeting the traffickers (I.e the root cause) and bring a complete end to this crisis.

Every video/image I have seen so far of these migrant vessels have been filled 99% with black males. All of which have no doubt committed heinous crimes to pay fir traffickers fees (up to 10,000 Euro in some instances). So these are hardly vulnerable people, they are simply opportunist criminals - and the sort of scum we don't need in Europe.

It would make sense therefore, that some of those men on the migrant vessels are indeed religious fanatical combatants as the article suggests.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

Kraff
Italy

Re: UK Troops to Smash Migrants Trade: Navy to Stop Flood of Refugees from Libya

Post by Kraff »

WhitestElephant wrote:Every video/image I have seen so far of these migrant vessels have been filled 99% with black males. All of which have no doubt committed heinous crimes to pay fir traffickers fees (up to 10,000 Euro in some instances). So these are hardly vulnerable people, they are simply opportunist criminals - and the sort of scum we don't need in Europe.
That's a bit of a generalization. About 30-40% are women (often pregnant) and newborns/kids. Some of them surely have their husband or another relative along. And I doubt everyone else became criminals to pay, a lot of them sold everything they owned.

Anyway, I hope an UK-Italy operation begins ASAP to stop all of this. Italy has been taking thousands while everyone else tuned their heads for way too long.

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

When I first heard this I thought it would be a great idea and a role highly suited to Bulwark and her bootnecks, as they could board, evacuate and scuttle the people-smuggler ships much more easily than most.

Now I'm less sure. If the people-smugglers decide to arm themselves as a result then it could make things much more dangerous for the refugees. It might create a hostage situation. Plus if there are any accidents then the Royal Marines will be blamed whether or not it is squarely their fault.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

What UK Can Contribute To EU's Smuggling Fight
Drones, special forces and spy planes - Alistair Bunkall examines options for helping in the fight against migrant trafficking.

There has been much talk of the UK deploying drones, special forces and spy planes to tackle the Mediterranean migrant crisis.

Whether or not the meeting in Brussels on Monday actually results in any firm commitment, the direction of travel seems to be toward greater military involvement.

Here, is my assessment of some of the options:

:: Reaper

An armed drone, which has been much used against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The UK has six and they are currently being used in the fight against Islamic State.

They are flying out of the Ali-al-Salem airbase in Kuwait, over Iraq and Syria.

I would be surprised if any are given the orders to redeploy elsewhere, not least because it is no quick operation to pack them up, ship them and then put them back together again.

:: Scan Eagle

The Royal Navy's relatively new Scan Eagle drone could be a possibility.

Currently these are only configured to fly off Type 23 Frigates, so any involvement of Scan Eagle would automatically have the added bonus of a Royal Naval warship - that could contribute to a blockade, if one was to be ordered.

HMS Richmond has a Scan Eagle on-board and she is currently in the Gulf.

The others are training to go to the region.

So using Scan Eagle would mean removing an asset from the Gulf.

It is a question of priorities, and with other options on the table, I had put this down as an unlikely.

:: Sentinel R1

The Sentinel is the most advanced long-range surveillance aircraft in the world.

It builds a real-time picture of movements on the ground to track patterns of life, either over a wide-area or a specific location, described by those who fly on it as "like looking through a soda straw".

Among the crew of five are usually two intelligence analysts who can then pass on the information to commanders on the ground, or partners in the air or at sea.

The Sentinel was used in the 2011 bombing campaign of Libya - Operation Ellamy - to follow the movements of Colonel Gaddafi’s troops and provide positions for fighter jets to bomb.

It flies at altitude, up to 40,000 feet, and can operate for 10 hours without needing to refuel.

Importantly, the Sentinel does not have to fly directly above the area of interest, or even that close.

In fact, the Sentinel could operate from a few hundred miles away, keeping it safe from enemy fire.

:: E3-D Sentry

The RAF has six E-3D Sentry aircraft.

They are the planes with a big black and white circular radar on the roof, if you know what I mean.

With a crew of 18, they are best used as air surveillance, detecting enemy aircraft in the area, but can also provide sea surveillance using its radar.

In this role they would perhaps be deployed as an airborne communications platform - the centre of a spinning circle, taking in data and intelligence from other aircraft - the Sentinel for example - and feeding it back to an HQ in Italy or direct to ships below on the sea, so they can then act and intercept.

Like the Sentinel it can stay airborne for up to 11 hours, so it has good endurance.

:: RAF Akrotiri

The British sovereign base in Cyprus would be one possible base for any UK military planes.

Indeed there is already a Sentinel R1 and E-3D Sentry flying out of the station, part of the coalition air campaign against IS.

These planes could be re-tasked and sent over Libya, or, more likely, the defence Secretary could order their numbers to be boosted so both missions can run alongside one another.

Alternatively Gioia del Colle base in Italy must be a consideration.

It was from here in 2011 that RAF Tornado fighter jets flew bombing missions over Libya.

It would also be closer to the expected mission HQ outside Rome.
Read More: http://news.sky.com/story/1486214/what- ... ling-fight

Kraff
Italy

Post by Kraff »

Tiny Toy wrote:When I first heard this I thought it would be a great idea and a role highly suited to Bulwark and her bootnecks, as they could board, evacuate and scuttle the people-smuggler ships much more easily than most.

Now I'm less sure. If the people-smugglers decide to arm themselves as a result then it could make things much more dangerous for the refugees. It might create a hostage situation. Plus if there are any accidents then the Royal Marines will be blamed whether or not it is squarely their fault.
The smugglers often are already armed. They threatened italian coast guard with rifles in the past to get the empty boats back to use. And I agree, our coast guard did nothing in these cases because it's not a smart move to start a firefight with hundreds of people between you and the smugglers.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Migrant Crisis

"RAF Spy Planes Could Be Deployed To Tackle Migrant Crisis"
RAF spy planes could be deployed to North Africa to track trafficking gangs sending migrants to their deaths in the Mediterranean, according to reports.

The Royal Navy's flagship HMS Bulwark is currently in Sicily as part of the efforts to tackle the problem.

Earlier this week, meanwhile, the EU agreed to set up a naval mission off the coast of Libya to capture boats used by the people smugglers.

Downing Street said at the time that the British government is working to ensure that "appropriate intelligence resources" are available for the operation. The Prime Minister's official spokesperson said:

"Does the UK, alongside a search and rescue operation which HMS Bulwark is operating at the moment, have capacities in terms of intelligence collection and the like? Absolutely, as do others, and we will work with them on it".
Read More: http://forces.tv/94716741

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

TBH, it's about time the focus moved from just picking up the survivors to stopping the issue at it's source. Stopping the flow before they get to the boats is something that should have been done ages ago IMHO.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Stopping the flow is not an easy thing, a lot of the refugees are coming out of middle eastern war zones, as well as several African countries. It appears that terrorist organisations have latched onto this as a way of making money to fund their activities. Identify who these groups are and despatch them by whatever means needed. The sea is a big place and many patrol boats will be needed to patrol the coastlines of Libya Egypt Syria in order to effectively stop the flow of immigrants. There is no easy solution in my opinion.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

RN ship HMS Bulwark has rescued over 300 migrants crammed into a wooden boat
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rants.html

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Other news about HMS Bulwark in the Med

UK Flagship Brings Hundreds Of Migrants Ashore
HMS Bulwark docks with 741 people on board - including dozens of "horrifyingly young" children - saved from boats in the Med.
http://news.sky.com/story/1493277/uk-fl ... nts-ashore

Irish naval vessel the LÉ Eithne rescues 201 migrants
Irish naval vessel the LÉ Eithne completed the rescue of 201 migrants off the coast of Libya on Thursday.
The migrants will be transferred to the HMS Bulwark where they will be transported to a port in Italy.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.2229705

Does anyone know what name has been assigned to this deployment?

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Courtesy of Think Defence: cost of HMS Bulwark's contribution will be borne by the aid budget

Read here: http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2015/06/6 ... -answered/

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Kraff wrote:
The smugglers often are already armed. They threatened italian coast guard with rifles in the past to get the empty boats back to use. And I agree, our coast guard did nothing in these cases because it's not a smart move to start a firefight with hundreds of people between you and the smugglers.
how soon till it escalates and the smugglers start having RPG's and HMG's ?

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

HMS Bulwark faces 'tragic' migrant operations in Mediterranean
Tonight HMS Bulwark is poised to carry out another rescue of migrants.

It's one of about a dozen warships and civilian vessels trying to tackle the human tide of thousands of people leaving Africa for Europe.

It's no easy task. They're having to cover an area of around 70,000 square miles, trying to spot the small boats crammed with desperate people hoping to be rescued and taken to a safer world.
Read more: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33036952

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The various navies operate under legal restraints and not to end the profitable people smuggling but to rescue and bring back to European ports those they find creating a hope or belief in some countries that it was worth the risk ,I have some sympathies for those fleeing war torn areas but there will be those whose aims are a substantial increase in earnings and lifestyle from working in wealthy E.U countries could number in the millions if not addressed .

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Britain Replaces Migrant Search and Rescue Ship with Smaller Naval Vessel
HMS Enterprise to take over UK contribution to migrant rescue operations in the Mediterranean in apparent scaling down of capability.

Britain is replacing the Royal Navy flagship that has saved the lives of more than 2,900 Mediterranean migrants with a survey vessel just half the size.

The HMS Enterprise, which is 3,700 tonnes and 90 metres long, will take over from HMS Bulwark – 19,000 tonnes and 176m – as part of what the government has called its “intelligence-led effort” in an attempt to tackle the migration crisis.

A team from GCHQ will also work on identifying the smugglers helping migrants enter Europe from Africa and the Middle East.

Downing Street said HMS Enterprise would help by gathering intelligence “while continuing to rescue people as necessary” but it would appear to be a deliberate scaling down of capability.
Read More: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... val-vessel

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

There was an excellent point made by Andrew Marr on his Sunday morning show,in an interview with the Defence secretary. It transpires now that the people smugglers are actually phoning the Italian coastguard, to let them know when the refugee boats are leaving the north african coast.
The point being made that the coalition ships involved in the rescue mission, are to all intents and purposes doing the smugglers jobs for them. They are in fact acting as a maritime taxi service, to take the boat people to Europe.
Game set and match to the smugglers.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

jonas wrote:There was an excellent point made by Andrew Marr on his Sunday morning show,in an interview with the Defence secretary. It transpires now that the people smugglers are actually phoning the Italian coastguard, to let them know when the refugee boats are leaving the north african coast.
The point being made that the coalition ships involved in the rescue mission, are to all intents and purposes doing the smugglers jobs for them. They are in fact acting as a maritime taxi service, to take the boat people to Europe.
Game set and match to the smugglers.
That's been happening for years, and the Italians have been telling us about it for years.

Funny how the media (and thus the "masses") only wake up to it after a singular disaster. Italy has been warning about this, fighting this and trying to tell people about this for a long time now. As usual, 50% of the problem is politicians just not listening to the world around them.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

O'h well, I'll get my coat.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

I hope my post didn't sound like "ACTUALLY..." or anything there. Not intended as such. :p