Dual Tramway STOVL Carrier

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
R686
Australia

Dual Tramway STOVL Carrier

Post by R686 »

Not wanting to derail the QE thread but I was wondering......

With all the attention being placed in the SCS and with China launching its new EMALS carrier I was looking at the Shandong but could not help thinking it would make a fantastic F35B carrier with its duel tramway design and angled deck for concurrent launch and recovery operations

https://apnews.com/article/beijing-chin ... 7e62b65000

https://www.military-today.com/navy/type_001a.htm

Is there a reason why when designing the QE class they didn't go this route, am I missing something that reduces the air operations capacity between the two beside the obvious reduced aircraft parking because of the ramp?

GarethDavies1
United Kingdom

Re: Dual Tramway STOVL Carrier

Post by GarethDavies1 »

If I recall the Thales CVF Alpha design had a twin take off launch ramp.
These users liked the author GarethDavies1 for the post:
serge750

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Having witnessed Sea Harrier operating from HMS Ark Royal I was impressed by how efficient and quick launch and recovery operations were. I feel that their is little need for a duel tramway as you call it, its as likely to unnecessarily complicate launch procedures and actually slow them down. As for simultaneous launch and recovery operations, an angled deck is not required to achieve this with STOVL aircraft. I am fairly sure it could be done on the QEs though I doubt it is necessary.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

But risk analysis would probably dictate that simultaneous launch and recovery evolutions would not be considered safe, when SRVL are likely to be part of a mission. :mrgreen:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

The curve of the ski-jump intergrated to the bow does look good though !!

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Only one jet can go off the ramp at a time so weather they are next to each other or behind each other makes little or no differents we have also seen the QE class recover two jets at the same time

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Tempest414 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 07:42 Only one jet can go off the ramp at a time so weather they are next to each other or behind each other makes little or no differents we have also seen the QE class recover two jets at the same time
I wonder if there has to be a time for the wind over the deck to recover or not between launching.