UK Mobile Fires Platform

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Tempest414
France

Re: UK Mobile Fires Platform

Post by Tempest414 »

I would still like to see MRV(P) and Boxer Brimstone launcher system with this being upgraded to Spear latter this should be more than possible now given we have got a system up and running for Ukraine

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Tempest414 wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 09:47 I would still like to see MRV(P) and Boxer Brimstone launcher system with this being upgraded to Spear latter this should be more than possible now given we have got a system up and running for Ukraine
Would agree there has been a 6 cell launcher shown in the past for ugv and 4x4s. Would very much like to see it be a launcher than can fire not just brimstone but things like the hero loitering munitions as well.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
Dahedd

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

One of many things I would like to see is any successor to Extractor be a weapon system that is embedded in our Infantry and Recce units rather than being part of the Royal Artillery's inventory. Any weapon system chosen must also be modular enabling tits carriage by multiple platform types ideally. AS for the performance of the chosen weapon system, I cannot see the need for a range of more then 20 miles, and with multiple guidance options including a "Man in the loop", capability. Any targets beyond this range would be the prerogative of the Royal Artillery, but a 20 mile range is compatible with the more dispersed operating doctrine we are to adopt moving forward.

I see the core launch platform being Boxer, equipping Mechanised Infantry, Recce and Armoured Units, with a lighter weight version to support the Light BCTs and Royal Marines and a UGV version for Airmobile and Airborne units. I mention Armoured units as in the past these had a troop of FV438s with Swingfire, replaced later on by the Spartan MCT with Milan 2.

Of course with our Battlegroup Doctrine these could be omitted if the Infantry and Recce had full Companies/Squadrons of said platform, that would be dispersed amongst the combined arms formations created.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

for me when looking at a Armoured Battalion the ATGW platoon has 3 x sections each with 2 vehicles and 4 x ATGW teams and 120 missiles replacing this with 9 Boxer with 16 Brimstone would give the ATGW Platoon 144 missile fired from under armour

if we gave the armoured infantry sections 2 x NLAW and one new hand held 40mm GMG capable of lobbing a 40mm grenade 800 meters

and then if we gave the Mortar Platoon 120mm NEMO Boxer we could be getting somewhere

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

W wouldn't even have to use NEMO. BAe developed an effective, turreted 120mm Mortar back in the 90's, which is used on Saudi National Guard LAVs.

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

Lord Jim wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 18:38 W wouldn't even have to use NEMO. BAe developed an effective, turreted 120mm Mortar back in the 90's, which is used on Saudi National Guard LAVs.
NEMO would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to unearth the drawings for the RO turreted mortar.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Yes it would but it wouldn't be made in the UK then. I brought it up because there is usually someone who brings up the "Mande in UK", argument whenever something is purchased and manufactured abroad, so I thought I would play Devil's Advocate for once, and even that didn't work. Oh well. :roll:

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

Made in the UK is worth considering if that capability still exists. Not sure that 30-year old weapon systems count. The gun laying kit would be obsolescent at best and would the ordnance or the ability to make it even exist?
The lack of ordnance manufacturing capability is a concern.
These users liked the author mr.fred for the post:
Lord Jim

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Lord Jim wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 02:11 There is no truck mounted double pod platform that I am aware of as given HIMARS is truck mounted, it would take a much larger platform, especially wider to mount a two pod launcher on such a platform.
South Korean K-MLRS, K239 Chunmoo....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K239_Chunmoo

Or you could take the launcher unit off the back of a M270 and mount on a MAN HX series easily.

No need to change from GMLRS and PrSM as it can/could use them...but it also has the ability to fire a smaller unguided rocket in packs of 36, so a real area weapon as well.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

The answer to all of our prayers really....

The Artillery Gun Module...if we could get in soon we could make the UK the main manufacturing centre for it...1 gun system, 3 platforms, Tracked, Boxer wheeled heavy armour, MAN HX wheeled.

Boxer Tracked

Boxer Wheeled

MAN HX3

I'll take 40 of each please....add in 30 M777-ER, 30 LIMAWS(R) and 50 MAN/Chunmoo...and we're done...

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Timmymagic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 10:35 The Artillery Gun Module...if we could get in soon we could make the UK the main manufacturing centre for it...1 gun system, 3 platforms, Tracked, Boxer wheeled heavy armour, MAN HX wheeled.
Module on MAN HX3 is not the same as the one mounted on Boxer. It is not even the same gun, as one is 52 while other is 60 caliber. But I think you can use Boxer gun module on MAN platform. I don't think you can say the same with 60 cal module as it is much bigger than the one built for Boxer.

I don't see anything wrong with this one either

Great platform used by 8 countries, some of them in NATO, 52cal gun with potential growth to 60 cal.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Boxer Artillery Gun Module is KMW.

The Rheinmetall MAN offering is 100% not KMW (not sure the turret supplier has been publicly announced).

Both are currently shown with L52.

Rheinmetall have an L60 in offering, but still under development at a ordnance level.

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

RunningStrong wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:18 Both are currently shown with L52.
Thank you for clarification. I though that it was L60 but I guess it is mostly common mentioned in relation with platform and that is why I though that it is L60, but I was wrong.

Example of Boxer gun module on AGM Iveco 8×8 truck

These users liked the author sol for the post (total 2):
Lord Jimbobp

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Whilst I personally favour a whhed replacement for the AS-90, that K8A2 is an absolute beast.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Timmymagic wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 10:35 The answer to all of our prayers really....

The Artillery Gun Module...if we could get in soon we could make the UK the main manufacturing centre for it...1 gun system, 3 platforms, Tracked, Boxer wheeled heavy armour, MAN HX wheeled.

Boxer Tracked

Boxer Wheeled

MAN HX3

I'll take 40 of each please....add in 30 M777-ER, 30 LIMAWS(R) and 50 MAN/Chunmoo...and we're done...
For me if going this route I would go for 60 of each tracked and wheeled boxer 60 MAN/Chunmoo plus 70 Brimstone/ Spear Boxer , 60 Brimstone / Spear Viking and 60 Brimstone / Spear MRV(P)-2 and keep the 105mm for the FCF & 16AA this should allow

Deep fires BCT = 40 x Tracked Boxer , 30 x MAN/Chunmoo , 20 x Brimstone Boxer

2 x Armoured BCT's = 20 x Wheeled Boxer , 10 MAN/Chunmoo , 20 x Brimstone Boxer

3 x Light Mech BCT's = 20 x Brimstone / Spear

FCF & 16AA = 20 x 105mm , 12 Brimstone Viking each

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Lord Jim wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 02:11 it is possible to carry an M270 in a A400 Atlas then that would improve the platforms expeditionary credentials but not by much as it is tactically inferior to the HIMARS when it comes to mobility.
A v good point.
Lord Jim wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 02:11 We need to have as small as possible sensor to shooter loop, and we must be able to operate in a far more dispersed format whilst still being able to concentrate the fire effect
And also to be able to counter the adversary side's sensing platforms... that might mean the 'derided as obsolete; radiation-homing missiles as they would be homing on targets (anti-arty) that must be kept on, as opposed to the AD ones that have more far reaching systems supporting and telling them when to switch on, at the last minute
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Apparently a decision has been made.

I bet archer
These users liked the author new guy for the post:
jedibeeftrix

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

new guy wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 21:45 Apparently a decision has been made.

I bet archer
I hope so, but only if it involves more UK content, particularly the gun and barrel. I was originally a fan of the RCH155....but everytime I see one fire I wonder about the effect on the suspension, plus its a whole lot easier to support a MAN HX based solution.

With M270 recapitalisation, GMLRS-ER, PrSM and (hopefully) LPS on the way, new radars and locating kit the Royal Artillery should be in a good place for the first time in a long time. Just need to refurb the 105mm, get 120mm Mortar, and most importantly, actually buy a course correcting shell solution....hopefully we buy a good load of PGK with UK production.

I'll keep hoping that we purchase some cheap M777-ER for the Army Reserve to play with and resurrect LIMAWS (R) and LIMAWS (G) in vain I suspect....

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

I'd rather went all in on M119A3 than continue anything more on the L118. That would give us commonality within AUKUS and commonwealth.

M777 way, way too expensive for reservist play thing. Give them high quality simulators and make assets available for live firing quarterly.

Pte. James Frazer

Post by Pte. James Frazer »

BAE Archer proposal includes re-establishing sovereign UK barrel production

https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/articl ... -programme
These users liked the author Pte. James Frazer for the post:
jedibeeftrix

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Pte. James Frazer wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 09:26 BAE Archer proposal includes re-establishing sovereign UK barrel production

If done, would be the one and only thing in the system that's made in Britain.
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
jedibeeftrix

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Ron5 wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 14:03
Pte. James Frazer wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 09:26 BAE Archer proposal includes re-establishing sovereign UK barrel production

One more than Ajax. ( except Optronics?)

Surely it will have to be Archer - in service and a known quantity. Maybe lean on BAE to increase the local content.
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
jedibeeftrix

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

SD67 wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 09:04
Ron5 wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 14:03

One more than Ajax. ( except Optronics?)

Surely it will have to be Archer - in service and a known quantity. Maybe lean on BAE to increase the local content.
But, but, Ajax will be British to its bootstraps, GD UK promised :o :o
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post (total 2):
new guySD67