Technical Support - Post here if you're having technical issues with the forum

Site-related information.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Technical Support - Post here if you're having technical issues with the forum

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

This is a topic to post any technical issues you're having with the forum and we'll try our best to resolve them.

Please note that this isn't a topic to raise non-technical issues (e.g. issues with moderation or fellow users). Please post a separate topic or PM an admin concerning those.

SKB
England

Re: Technical Support - Post here if you're having technical issues with the forum

Post by SKB »

Can we have the Likes setup how it used to be? Without the stars or percentages ratings.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
Phil R

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Technical Support - Post here if you're having technical issues with the forum

SKB wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 01:56 Can we have the Likes setup how it used to be? Without the stars or percentages ratings.
Done, I wasn’t keen on the rating thing either.
These users liked the author The Armchair Soldier for the post (total 3):
Phil RSKBScimitar54

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

There seems to be a new problem with non-UKDF members now having full access to all sections and all threads, where previously only the main equipment threads were accessible.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

SKB wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:40 There seems to be a new problem with non-UKDF members now having full access to all sections and all threads, where previously only the main equipment threads were accessible.
And why is that a problem? They have probably unrestricted the access?
These users liked the author downsizer for the post:
R686

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

downsizer wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:07
SKB wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:40 There seems to be a new problem with non-UKDF members now having full access to all sections and all threads, where previously only the main equipment threads were accessible.
And why is that a problem? They have probably unrestricted the access?

I miss read the post, I assumed SKB was talking about guest viewing the forum then realised she said non- UKDF members

Then that would exclude myself being ex ADF, but would having a £10 Pom as a father in law who fought in Korea help?

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I think he means non members of the forum.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

This wasn't intentional so I've fixed it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Also fixed issues with the forum not keeping users logged in and giving "not secure" warnings.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 17:32
This wasn't intentional so I've fixed it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Also fixed issues with the forum not keeping users logged in and giving "not secure" warnings.
Why close them off? It's a bit of an echo chamber here - surely if guests could see everything they might be more inclined to join in?

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

downsizer wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 18:24

Why close them off? It's a bit of an echo chamber here - surely if guests could see everything they might be more inclined to join in?
The Equipment section is still visible, the rest are hidden as an added incentive to register.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 20:24

The Equipment section is still visible, the rest are hidden as an added incentive to register.
Does it work as an incentive?

Luke jones

Post by Luke jones »

Site moderation

My partner works within the NHS, and runs an Audiology department here in Wales, specifically Powys.

She's currently doing her masters, her subject is Tinnitus, specifically Serving Military personnel and Veterans.

My question to the site admin is, would it be possible to post her survey her as an attachment?
The survey is currently out there and I believe is also being cast around by RBL.

She would like to reach as many possible respondent's as she can.

Regards

Luke Jones

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Won't find many here mate.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Luke jones wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 08:00 Site moderation

My partner works within the NHS, and runs an Audiology department here in Wales, specifically Powys.

She's currently doing her masters, her subject is Tinnitus, specifically Serving Military personnel and Veterans.

My question to the site admin is, would it be possible to post her survey her as an attachment?
The survey is currently out there and I believe is also being cast around by RBL.

Regards

Luke Jones
Feel free to post it in the Personnel and Units section.
topman wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 07:16

There’s no way to know for certain but I reckon so.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 10:42
Luke jones wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 08:00 Site moderation

Regards

Luke Jones
Feel free to post it in the Personnel and Units section.
topman wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 07:16

There’s no way to know for certain but I reckon so.
I would think it would put people off, but fair enough it's your train set.
These users liked the author topman for the post:
downsizer

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

We seem to have new accounts with dubious goals.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Jensy wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 08:21 We seem to have new accounts with dubious goals.
They’re now banned and their posts removed.
These users liked the author The Armchair Soldier for the post (total 2):
CaribbeanJensy

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

The Armchair Soldier wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 12:55
Jensy wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 08:21 We seem to have new accounts with dubious goals.
They’re now banned and their posts removed.
Nice one! Thanks to you and Beth.
These users liked the author Jensy for the post:
The Armchair Soldier

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Tabs crashing...is there some sort of Denial of Access action ongoing?

This full editor is dangerous :cry: . Just lost half an hour's typing , with my Mac keyboard just by using a key to create space in the text for inserting an emoji

On my part, will junk both the editor and the emojis and go back to not even checking back for typos
- adopted that same policy on TD when editing the post more often than not gave one an 'Apache Error' and the bonus of the whole eff*ng post being eaten up
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Could the list of active members visiting over the last 24 hours please be reinstated on the main title/front page?

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

SKB wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 15:25 Could the list of active members visiting over the last 24 hours please be reinstated on the main title/front page?
Which main page do you mean exactly? If you mean the index, the list is still there but you have to click the + icon to reveal it.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

I'm getting a "403 Access to this resource on the server is denied" response when trying to post the below on the A330 thread.

Some degree of redemption for the often maligned AirTanker PFI contract?
(Posted here and on the Tempest thread today without issue though)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I have a problem scrolling to the frame that includes the 'SUBMIT' button.
- the problem only appeared when I switched to a Mac, assume frame handling is somewhat different from the implementation on MS (is this the first time ever that their product works better than Apple's ?)

Lots of manual 'clicking' needed to get the function started, e.g. for this post top RHS corner of the smilies area does nothing, but click just outside bottom LHS corner... and a vot!

For a short post there is nowehere to (successfully) click, so involves extra scrolling too.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

I’m getting sporadic 403 errors when trying to submit comments - anyone else getting this?
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston