Trident

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
JayDee
United Kingdom

Re: Trident

Post by JayDee »

MPs to vote on Trident nuclear weapons system renewal

MPs are set to decide on whether to renew Britain's nuclear weapons programme in a Commons vote later.

In her first statement to parliament as prime minister, Theresa May will say it would be a "gross irresponsibility" for the UK to abandon its nuclear weapons.

Labour is split, with Jeremy Corbyn opposing renewal, but the party's MPs will get a free vote on the issue.

The SNP - which will oppose Trident renewal - had called for the vote to be delayed to allow "proper scrutiny".

The vote will decide whether to press ahead with the manufacture of the next generation of nuclear submarines.

Mrs May will emphasise her strong commitment to the plan, saying: "We cannot abandon our ultimate safeguard out of misplaced idealism. That would be a reckless gamble."

"The nuclear threat has not gone away. If anything, it has increased," she will add.

BBC political correspondent Chris Mason said the government was "expected to comfortably win the vote"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36820416

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

The Tories still have the majority and some of Labour are 'pro' CASD.
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

marktigger wrote:yeap and if there is no labour whip on the issue
There's no Labour whip because the party leadership does not support the party policy. Frankly, I've already lost patience with this shower of shits.
arfah wrote:The Tories still have the majority and some of Labour are 'pro' CASD.
I reckon that the majority of Labour MP's are pro-CASD. I wouldn't be surprised to see the bill pass with the support of close to 500 MP's.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

the SNP want faslane converted into a conventional naval base

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger wrote:the SNP want faslane converted into a conventional naval base
Meet them half way.

Holy loch has already been shut down ;-)
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

I look forward to seeing that happen at some point in the distant future. It'll at least mean that the UK government won't be footing the bill alone for redeveloping the site.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Pseudo wrote:
I look forward to seeing that happen at some point in the distant future. It'll at least mean that the UK government won't be footing the bill alone for redeveloping the site.
Sorry to use my trade mark heh-heh here, but...

You mean the fishery protection vessels lie that low in the water that the crew can't walk onto the piers without a new (major) investment in gangways?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Pseudo wrote:
I can't find the link (Thought it was in the Express?) but Lockheed-Martin UK bought the I.T. network that the Scots Govt uses.
The SNP are paying them in the region of £20m (give or take) per annum.

Lockheed-Martin is also a contractor at Faslane in support of the CASD.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

MPs vote to renew Trident, 472-117: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36830923

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Perhaps the time may come to rebase the nuclear submarines ,SNP couldnt object even if it lead to loss of jobs

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Theresa May says she would launch a nuclear strike:

Full Trident renewal debate:

The vote result:

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:MPs vote to renew Trident, 472-117: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36830923
Well, I was close enough. :)
Pseudo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see the bill pass with the support of close to 500 MP's.
Also noteworthy is that in voting against, Corbyn voted against his publicly stated and incredibly stupid position of building new SSBN's but not arming them with nuclear missiles so as to maintain jobs at Barrow. :lol:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Pseudo wrote:
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:MPs vote to renew Trident, 472-117: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36830923
Pseudo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see the bill pass with the support of close to 500 MP's.
Also noteworthy is that in voting against, Corbyn voted against his publicly stated and incredibly stupid position of building new SSBN's but not arming them with nuclear missiles so as to maintain jobs at Barrow. :lol:
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Ron5 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Given the nature of the debate I think it turned out to be a reasonable horse shoe.