Future cruise/anti-ship missiles

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Future cruise/anti-ship missiles

Post by Timmymagic »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 19 Oct 2023, 19:01 I guess Land Attack Cruise Missiles are simpler in that their target does nt move!! :)
Be interesting to see how this now 3-way development of the two missiles works out.
Thats the thing...I wouldn't be surprised if it had some moving target capability with its dual seeker...and data link.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

These users liked the author Jdam for the post:
serge750

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

From the link above.
In 2022, the programme was evaluating two missile concepts: a low observable subsonic cruise missile and a supersonic highly manoeuvrable missile, moving away from a previous focus on a hypersonic solution akin to the CVS401 Perseus.

The current trajectory of the FC/ASW programme involves completing the assessment phase by 2024 and proceeding to the manufacturing phase from 2025 to 2035. Notably, the programme plans to introduce two role-specific variants, with a deep-strike, land-attack variant expected to be operational from 2028 and an anti-ship variant from 2034.
So hypersonic version is not going ahead.

Gab has mentioned a vertical launch version of the Future cruise, I was surprised about this as I had never seen that mentioned before. I always assumed the first version would be an air launched version from the Typhoon.

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

These users liked the author new guy for the post:
Jdam

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

VL and canister launch have been mentioned previously.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Jdam wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 16:30 So hypersonic version is not going ahead.
I suspect MBDA told the Admiral who was all gaga over hypersonics, how much that would cost to develop.
Jdam wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 16:30 Gab has mentioned a vertical launch version of the Future cruise, I was surprised about this as I had never seen that mentioned before. I always assumed the first version would be an air launched version from the Typhoon.
That's why the RN is fitting Mk 41's to everything that floats :D

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Timmymagic wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 19:01 VL and canister launch have been mentioned previously.
Has canister launch been officially verified?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I do not think Naval SCALP, the French predecessor to FC/ASW) is canister launched, just VLS & torpedo tube.