RBSL Challenger 3 (Future) Main Battle Tank (British Army)

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: RBSL Challenger 3 (Future) Main Battle Tank (British Army)

Post by Ron5 »

A pretty good summary of the program with the latest photos:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/t ... attle-tank
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
bobp

BB85
United Kingdom

Post by BB85 »

Interesting the new turret looks flatter and taller from the front versus the more angled previous turret.
I see they have moved the front facing lights that where central previously to just above the tracks on the hull. I wonder if that has something to do with heavier armour protecting the driver. I thought they might use something more streamlined like on the leopard, although for servicing the bolt on lights would be much easier to service.

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

DE&S awards contract to fit next-generation modular armour on Challenger 3.

https://des.mod.uk/des-awards-contract- ... llenger-3/

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

TT Electronics to provide Challenger 3 cable assemblies
Posted 26 January 2024
TT Electronics have announced that the company’s Abercynon facility has been awarded another significant contract with Rheinmetall BAE Systems Land (RBSL), which will see it design, manufacture and integrate complex cable assemblies on Challenger 3 prototype vehicles.
https://www.adsadvance.co.uk/tt-electro ... blies.html
These users liked the author Jackstar for the post:
Ron5

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Jackstar wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 09:04 DE&S awards contract to fit next-generation modular armour on Challenger 3.

https://des.mod.uk/des-awards-contract- ... llenger-3/
Reported that Challenger 2 with its Chobham-Dorchester armour weighed 75 tonnes. In May 2021 it was said the Challenger 3 with its new Epsom and Farnham armour will significantly lower the weight to around 66 tonnes and claimed to give unparalleled survivability, will be layered with the Israeli Trophy Active Protection System and with an upgraded 3rd generation hydrogas suspension, making it lighter than the Leopard 2A7HU (Hungary) one of the world's heaviest tanks, weighing upwards of 73 tonnes without its optional add-on armor.

Chris Werb

Post by Chris Werb »

From recent events, I think we really need to see a revised Hard-Kill APS that can handle bomb dropping UAVs and FPVs attacking from above. I think Abrams X was displayed with a fully hemispherical APS. Merkavas are now sprouting cope cages/canopies, presumably as an interim solution.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Chris Werb wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 13:24 From recent events, I think we really need to see a revised Hard-Kill APS that can handle bomb dropping UAVs and FPVs attacking from above. I think Abrams X was displayed with a fully hemispherical APS. Merkavas are now sprouting cope cages/canopies, presumably as an interim solution.
Yesterday it was reported on several sites that the Dutch program to upgrade their CV90's had been modified to add a C-UAS capability to its APS Iron Fist. I know this is not the same system as Cr3 but interesting that at least one APS now offers the capability you desire.

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Chris Werb wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 13:24 I think Abrams X was displayed with a fully hemispherical APS.
Not really, it is presented with Trophy APS. Technically, T-14 Armata has vertical launching APS, together with horizontal one, but not sure if it is working (as there is no any public presentation of it) and, if it is, how effective it is. But it is still questionable could it counter drones as there is no radar on the top of the turret so not sure would those on turret sides effectively detect drone dropped munition directly above the tank.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

sol wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 18:52
Chris Werb wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 13:24 I think Abrams X was displayed with a fully hemispherical APS.
Not really, it is presented with Trophy APS. Technically, T-14 Armata has vertical launching APS, together with horizontal one, but not sure if it is working (as there is no any public presentation of it) and, if it is, how effective it is. But it is still questionable could it counter drones as there is no radar on the top of the turret so not sure would those on turret sides effectively detect drone dropped munition directly above the tank.
Armata only had vertical soft kill. Its hard kill APS was the Afghanit launchers which covered the frontal arc only. Not a good APS.

Chris Werb

Post by Chris Werb »

sol wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 18:52
Hi Sol.

Not directly from General Dynamics, but close:

"The AbramsX also includes more protection from the growing threat of aerial drones. Reese said the design features an amped-up active protection system with three radars and launchers instead of two creating a perimeter around the tank.

“So instead of the two that normally create the donut around the vehicle, we have a third one that creates a dome over the top of the vehicle, for 360 degrees,” he said. “It’s not fully developed yet, but it’s close.”"

While the demonstrator features the Rafael-made Trophy APS the Abrams currently uses, Reese said the design is agnostic and capable of working with whatever APS the Army might choose.

https://coffeeordie.com/abramsx-tank-army
These users liked the author Chris Werb for the post:
sol

Chris Werb

Post by Chris Werb »

Before anyone jumps all over me - yes, Abrams X is just a company concept demonstrator. I wasn't claiming it had been adopted or was likely to be.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
Chris Werb

Jackstar
United Kingdom

Post by Jackstar »

Babcock: UK military manufacturer scoops £75m contract for British army training.

“Babcock will continue to deliver training on our legacy vehicle fleet, seeking continuous improvement in delivery throughout this contract and our future Ajax, BOXER and Challenger 3 crews will benefit from the developments made.
https://www.cityam.com/babcock-uk-milit ... -training/

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

CR3 of to Germany for firing testing

These users liked the author sol for the post (total 2):
TimmymagicJackstar

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Headline in the Daily Mail:

"Army fields world beating drone tank"

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Whats the reason for going to Germany for the test firing?

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Jdam wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 14:10 Whats the reason for going to Germany for the test firing?
Probably because the range belongs to RLS' gun development team and all the time and equipment is available.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Jdam wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 14:10 Whats the reason for going to Germany for the test firing?
Would you rather they practice on English people?

Yea, I know, crappy joke.

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

As the Government got rid of all the establishments the MOD lost the knowledge and facilities to do much in the way of R&D. Its now over reliant on the private sector as the problems with Ajax demonstrated.

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

whitelancer wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 00:06
As the Government got rid of all the establishments the MOD lost the knowledge and facilities to do much in the way of R&D. Its now over reliant on the private sector as the problems with Ajax demonstrated.
That might be the case but don't QinetiQ have a range available?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

These users liked the author Ron5 for the post (total 3):
JackstarJdamserge750

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

I guess I got my answer.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

You got an answer. I'm sure there's more to it. After all, the world experts on the guns mostly live in Germany.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

PS A comment on UKDJ speculates they may want to test with overcharges which sounds like it makes sense. In which case, the UK ranges will definitely not be certified for.

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Ron5 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 14:55 PS A comment on UKDJ speculates they may want to test with overcharges which sounds like it makes sense. In which case, the UK ranges will definitely not be certified for.
I was going to suggest exactly the same thing, to really test the gun and turret installation using using non destructive overcharged rounds to get the forces up would make sense.
These users liked the author tomuk for the post:
Ron5