The war in Ukraine

Discuss current, historical or potential future conflicts around the world.
Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Re: The war in Ukraine

Post by Ian Hall »

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Ian Hall wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 13:25
Admirable, but does this really deter anything?

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

dmereifield wrote: 09 Sep 2023, 17:06 Admirable, but does this really deter anything?
The impression that I get is that the Russian military seem to think that they are being really clever when they carry out an atrocity (which everyone knows only they could have done), but are able to deny it because there is no independent verification.

Having witnesses does seem to have a deterrent effect
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post:
Ian Hall
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Excellent report, and up to date, report on Russian tank reserves.

TLDR - The Russian's have lost half of their tank fleet....and the remainder is declining in quality at a rapid rate. They're in real trouble....

https://institutactionresilience.fr/publications.php
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
Ian Hall

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Not sure what to make of this - I hope they aren't being deployed to the front line in Ukraine

Russia issues T-55s to a mobilised regiment

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Caribbean wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 07:48 Not sure what to make of this - I hope they aren't being deployed to the front line in Ukraine

Russia issues T-55s to a mobilised regiment

Dose 5 tanks make a regiment also no effort to upgrade them in terms of armour active or other wise my first thought is poor sods and if they are heading to the front they are death traps one NLAW one kill

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Tempest414 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:51 Dose 5 tanks make a regiment
I think it's half a tank company. IIRC, one company is attached to each battalion combat team in the Russian ORBAT (though that may have changed, as it didn't seem particularly effective)

From the shot of the bits of string taped across the barrels, this is an exercise in calibrating the sights (using boresight to aim a round, then adjusting the sights to match the impact point)

I doubt these are going to be used for much more than mobile artillery - their frontal armour wouldn't stop an RPG or 30mm round and Russia is said to still have quite a lot of 100mm ammunition left. They will stand no chance against even the Leo 1's 105mm gun

Worth remembering that C1s killed c. 300 of these in GW1 (for no loss)
Winston Churchill

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Caribbean wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 11:31
Tempest414 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 10:51 Dose 5 tanks make a regiment
I think it's half a tank company. IIRC, one company is attached to each battalion combat team in the Russian ORBAT (though that may have changed, as it didn't seem particularly effective)

From the shot of the bits of string taped across the barrels, this is an exercise in calibrating the sights (using boresight to aim a round, then adjusting the sights to match the impact point)

I doubt these are going to be used for much more than mobile artillery - their frontal armour wouldn't stop an RPG or 30mm round and Russia is said to still have quite a lot of 100mm ammunition left. They will stand no chance against even the Leo 1's 105mm gun

Worth remembering that C1s killed c. 300 of these in GW1 (for no loss)
Yes there BTG's are some what lacking with only 200 infantry in each however if they moved to bigger BBG's of 1 x Recce company , 1 x Armoured company , 1 x Infantry Battalion (of 600 +) plus a Artillery and Logistics companies they would be in a better place

The biggest thing I have seen when it comes to the Russian army is its lack of field craft they seem to be missing basic personal kit for living fighting in the field

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

A few days old admittedly but this Naval News article clearly shows the damage caused to the 🇷🇺 SSK Rostov-on-Don.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -don-gone/

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Not just the subs.

Storm Shadow is just destroying them.

How we don't have a dozen countries lining up to buy these things is just beyond me. :wtf:
These users liked the author Jdam for the post:
Ian Hall

Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Post by Ian Hall »

Noteworthy that this attack was in daylight.

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Apparently timed to strike a meeting of senior Russian officers - rumours abound (some coming directly from the chief of Ukrainian military intelligence) of deaths and serious injuries at the very top of the command chain. No confirmation yet but, if it is true, then I cannot get the folly of holding such a meeting there at a time when Ukraine has been daily striking Sevastapol.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

Jdam wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 10:04 Not just the subs.

Storm Shadow is just destroying them.

How we don't have a dozen countries lining up to buy these things is just beyond me. :wtf:
Is there any for sale?

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Ian Hall wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 11:48 Noteworthy that this attack was in daylight.
Seems a couple of videos of day time strikes now, Russian air defence is either greatly degrade or unable to counter Storm Shadow. :wtf:

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

They've lost at least two S-400 & two very expensive long-range radar systems in the last few weeks. Apparently they can't see carboard drones either
Winston Churchill

xav

Post by xav »

Ukraine was showcasing one of their USV at DSEI this month in London

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

19th September
The UK has delivered over 300,000 artillery shells to Ukraine and is committed to delivering tens of thousands more artillery shells this year, the Defence Secretary announced today.
The US also recently reported to have had sucess in ramping up thier production numbers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defe ... %20Ukraine.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

I think this statement says it best

https://x.com/shashj/status/17100557405 ... q02bHexwZA

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

UK MoD and Denmark funding the SKYctrl SKID a Polish APS/UK MSI counter-UAS system on a standard pallet for Ukraine

Using APS’s 3D MIMO radars with 3D arrays, EO sensors, ECM suite and its CyView C2 system and the MSI gun mounting for the Northrop Grumman 30mm MK44 Bushmaster cannon.

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/uk-pr ... r-ukraine/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author NickC for the post:
Tempest414

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Looks like 3rd Seperate Assault Brigade have managed to get an ex-British Army CET on the secondhand market...

I wonder if it was this one...

https://tanks-alot.co.uk/product/combat ... actor-cet/

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

An interesting series of statements from shashank joshi and I think I would probably agree with most of them.

https://x.com/shashj/status/17194852860 ... q02bHexwZA

I’m curious to hear whether people agree or disagree with these four statements about Ukraine:

- The war is in stalemate
- It is stalemated largely because technology makes it harder to mount offensives
- There will likely be no Ukrainian breakthrough
- Time is on Russia’s side

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

SW1 wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 23:11 An interesting series of statements from shashank joshi and I think I would probably agree with most of them.

https://x.com/shashj/status/17194852860 ... q02bHexwZA

I’m curious to hear whether people agree or disagree with these four statements about Ukraine:

- The war is in stalemate
- It is stalemated largely because technology makes it harder to mount offensives
- There will likely be no Ukrainian breakthrough
- Time is on Russia’s side
Simple; It is NATO fighting Russia, yet we act like it isn't, in the form of weapons manufacturing, e.c.t. If we simply gave them just enough artillery alone, their counter-offensive would have been a success.
These users liked the author new guy for the post:
Caribbean