westland scout

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
marktigger
United Kingdom

westland scout

Post by marktigger »

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: westland scout

Post by Lord Jim »

Brilliant find, I have really forgotten how flexible the Scout was and the roles it could carry out. Really shows how the Army could do will a platform to carry out the same roles rather than relying on the RAF to do everything except heavy attack and recce. Something like the Airbus H145M would be ideal though it would not be built in the UK.
https://www.airbus.com/helicopters/mili ... h145m.html

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

marktigger wrote:
Genuinely had no idea that the Mini-Gun had been in service that long ago. Thought it only started to arrive in small numbers in the 90's, not that far back. The Gazelle's inability to be armed in UK service was in contrast to the well thought out weapons fit for the Scout. In the Falklands the Gazelle's ended up with jury rigged SNEB rocket pods, aimed by chinagraph pencil marks on the windscreen...

Anyway here's a low flying Scout video..part of a series

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Lord Jim wrote:Brilliant find, I have really forgotten how flexible the Scout was and the roles it could carry out. Really shows how the Army could do will a platform to carry out the same roles rather than relying on the RAF to do everything except heavy attack and recce. Something like the Airbus H145M would be ideal though it would not be built in the UK.
https://www.airbus.com/helicopters/mili ... h145m.html
I did see comments in other forums years back advocating that the AAC should have been getting MH-6 instead of wildcat. I did suggest that westlands could have dusted of the scout plans fitted with new engines and avionics and built with ne materials and we could have a very nice little platform.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

marktigger wrote:fitted with new engines and avionics and built with ne materials and we could have a very nice little platform.
Scout - Lynx - Apache ; all used in or considered for attack role

Wildcat not, but the fact that we fitted 22 AH9As with the same engine as Wildcat... and then got rid of them in short order still defies belief
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Always thought the Wildcat should be used in an MH-6 role...