“Unidentified Aerial Phenomena” (I know, I know...)

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

“Unidentified Aerial Phenomena” (I know, I know...)

Post by Zero Gravitas »

Yes, I know, I know... this topic brings to polite conversation what body odour brings to a party...

But.

I can't help but notice there are more and more articles out there with both named and unnamed US sources saying this is being taken seriously.

"For the last two years, the Department of Defense’s newly revamped “Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Task Force” (or UAPTF) has been busy briefing lawmakers, Intelligence Community stakeholders, and the highest levels of the U.S. military on encounters with what they say are mysterious airborne objects that defy conventional explanations.

Along with classified briefings, multiple senior U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the matter say two classified intelligence reports on UAP have been widely distributed to the U.S. Intelligence Community. Numerous sources from various government agencies told The Debrief that these reports include clear photographic evidence of UAP. The reports also explicitly state that the Task Force is considering the possibility that these unidentified objects could, as stated by one source from the U.S. Intelligence Community said, be operated by “intelligences of unknown origin.”

Significantly, a retired U.S. Air Force brigadier general and head of RAND corporation’s Space Enterprise Initiative has—for the first time—gone on record to discuss some of the most likely explanations for UAP. His responses were surprising.

The email, obtained via Freedom of Information Act request, shows an October 16th, 2019 exchange between then Vice Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Robert Burke, and current Vice Chief of Staff for the Air Force General Stephen “Steve” Wilson.

In the email, Adm. Burke tells Gen. Wilson, “Recommend you take the brief I just received from our Director of Naval Intelligence VADM Matt Kohler, on Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP).” Adm. Burke concludes the email, “SECNAV [Secretary of the Navy] will get the same brief tomorrow at 1000.”"

https://thedebrief.org/fast-movers-and- ... ask-force/

"Speaking in an interview to Yediot Aharonot, Eshed – who served as the head of Israel's space program for nearly 30 years and is a three-time recipient of the Israel Security Award – explained that Israel and the US have both been dealing with aliens for years."

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israel ... ady-651405

New York Times:

"Pentagon’s U.F.O. Unit Will Make Some Findings Public"

"Mr. Elizondo is among a small group of former government officials and scientists with security clearances who, without presenting physical proof, say they are convinced that objects of undetermined origin have crashed on earth with materials retrieved for study."

"Eric W. Davis, an astrophysicist who worked as a subcontractor and then a consultant for the Pentagon U.F.O. program since 2007, said that, in some cases, examination of the materials had so far failed to determine their source and led him to conclude, “We couldn’t make it ourselves.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/us/p ... -navy.html

Then there are the Nimitz videos ("FLIR," "GOFAST" and "GIMBAL") that the DoD declassified earlier this year and which the DoD describes as "unexplained":

https://www.space.com/ufos-videos-decla ... lease.html

I guess none of you will be inviting me to parties now...

SKB
England

Re: “Unidentified Aerial Phenomena” (I know, I know...)

Post by SKB »

Portsmouth is quite the hotspot for mysterious lights in the night sky....

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Well - my grandfather was indirectly involved in Project Blue Book. He saw lots of the classified stuff and felt that the case for UFOs was not entirely disproved. As he said "all that you need is for one sighting to be genuine, even if we don't recognise it as being so".

On the other hand, I remember an incident in my teens when 2 or 3000 people phoned Bedfordshire Police claiming that they had just seen a UFO. I saw it myself, while I was mowing my parent's lawn, and thought to myself "Oh, look, a meteorolgy balloon". Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Zero Gravitas wrote:this topic brings to polite conversation what body odour brings to a party...
I take it that you are talking about Lynx?

Anyway, crusty conspiracy theories are good fun
- going extraterrestrial... the 'Lynx factor'?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

Caribbean wrote: Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.
Absolutely, Occam's razor and all that. The problem is we have no clue whether even simple life is common or rare.

This is one of the most profound things I've read I think:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Anyway, crusty conspiracy theories are good fun
Agreed. All good fun, just don't start making important life decisions based upon them.

My hazy recollection of the early 90s is that Lynx didn't have the effect that the adverts would have one believe...

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

A good vid (a good story). Tyler Rogoway seems to have been on the "editorial board"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL, Ranking Member of Senate Intelligence Committe): https://www.ibtimes.com/sen-rubio-confi ... ed-3169026

"There are a lot more sightings then have been made public. Sometimes we wonder whether or not our adversaries have technologies that are a little bit further down the road than we thought or that we realized ... things are flying over military installations, over military exercises and other places ... and we don’t know what it is. It isn’t ours. It isn’t anything that’s registered with the FAA, and in many cases, exhibits attributes of things we’ve never seen - technology, the kinds of technology we haven’t seen before"

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA, Chair of Senate Intelligence Committee) after receiving a classified briefing on UAP:

"Some of the press reports [on UAP encounters] are accurate, people are taking this issue much more seriously ... one of the key takeaways is that the military and others are taking this issue seriously, which I think in previous generations may not have been the case."

Former CIA Director John Brennan: https://thedebrief.org/ufos-are-still-a ... attention/

“I think some of the phenomena we’re going to be seeing continues to be unexplained, and might, in fact, be some type of phenomenon that is the result of something that we don’t yet understand and that could involve some type of activity that some might say constitutes a different form of life.”

Former Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... blic-knows

"There are a lot more sightings than have been made public," Ratcliffe said. "Some of those have been declassified. And when we talk about sightings, we are talking about objects that have seen by Navy or Air Force pilots, or have been picked up by satellite imagery that frankly engage in actions that are difficult to explain. Movements that are hard to replicate that we don’t have the technology for. Or traveling at speeds that exceed the sound barrier without a sonic boom."

Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV): https://nypost.com/2020/10/13/harry-rei ... for-years/

"I’m saying most of [the evidence] hasn’t seen the light of day. We have it — it’s there ... the federal government all these years has covered up, put brake pads on everything, stopped it. I think it’s very, very bad for our country,”

Former CIA Director James Woolsey: https://nypost.com/2021/04/06/former-ci ... st-report/

“There was one case in which a friend of mine was able to have his aircraft stop at 40,000ft or so and not continue operating as a normal aircraft. What was going on? I don't know ... I’m not as skeptical as I was a few years ago, to put it mildly. But something is going on that is surprising ... to a series of intelligent, experienced pilots ... And we will just have to see what it is.”

Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Christopher Mellon: https://nypost.com/2020/10/13/harry-rei ... for-years/

"These things are real, they’re here — this is happening now."

Lue Elizondo, former U.S. Military official that led the U.S. government’s effort to investigate UAP: https://www.dailywire.com/news/bombshel ... pabilities

“Imagine a technology that can do 600-to-700 g-forces, that can fly at 13,000 miles an hour, that can evade radar and that can fly through air and water and possibly space. And oh, by the way, has no obvious signs of propulsion, no wings, no control surfaces and yet still can defy the natural effects of Earth’s gravity. That’s precisely what we’re seeing.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DoD is due to release a formal report on UAPs this month. The leaks suggest this will say there is a real phenomenon but there is no evidence it is extra-terrestrial in origin.

If it is a real phenomenon and it is terrestrial, it means that US armed forces have been being buzzed with impunity in their own back yard every day [https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... an-graves/] for years by a foreign power.

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

Government UFO report is the product of years of military infighting over whether to take sightings seriously
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/15/poli ... index.html

"Members of the House Intelligence Committee will receive a classified briefing on Wednesday morning on one of the most controversial topics circulating in Washington today: UFOs.

The briefing, which was confirmed to CNN by two sources familiar with the committee's plans, comes just weeks before the US intelligence community is scheduled to deliver an unclassified report on the matter for Congress. According to one committee source, Wednesday's briefing will be conducted by the Navy and FBI."

"For most serious people inside the Pentagon studying the strange incidents, the former officials said, the investigation is not about proving whether or not aliens are visiting Earth and buzzing Navy pilots. Rather, it's about trying to understand what is behind these otherwise unexplainable encounters in US airspace. In particular, some officials are concerned that they might be some kind of next-gen technology deployed by China or Russia."

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this in the off-topic thread...

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

here is the report:

“144 reports originated from USG sources. Of these, 80 reports involved observation with multiple sensors.“

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsroom/ ... /item/2223

“ In a limited number of incidents, UAP reportedly appeared to exhibit unusual flight characteristics. These observations could be the result of sensor errors, spoofing, or observer misperception and require additional rigorous analysis.

There are probably multiple types of UAP requiring different explanations based on the range of appearances and behaviors described in the available reporting. Our analysis of the data supports the construct that if and when individual UAP incidents are resolved they will fall into one of five potential explanatory categories: airborne clutter, natural atmospheric phenomena, USG or U.S. industry developmental programs, foreign adversary systems, and a catchall “other” bin.”

“ UAP THREATEN FLIGHT SAFETY AND, POSSIBLY, NATIONAL SECURITY
UAP pose a hazard to safety of flight and could pose a broader danger if some instances represent sophisticated collection against U.S. military activities by a foreign government or demonstrate a breakthrough aerospace technology by a potential adversary.

Ongoing Airspace Concerns
When aviators encounter safety hazards, they are required to report these concerns. Depending on the location, volume, and behavior of hazards during incursions on ranges, pilots may cease their tests and/or training and land their aircraft, which has a deterrent effect on reporting.

• The UAPTF has 11 reports of documented instances in which pilots reported near misses with a UAP.

Potential National Security Challenges
We currently lack data to indicate any UAP are part of a foreign collection program or indicative of a major technological advancement by a potential adversary. We continue to monitor for evidence of such programs given the counter intelligence challenge they would pose, particularly as some UAP have been detected near military facilities or by aircraft carrying the USG’s most advanced sensor systems.”

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Joe Rogan interviews Bob Lazar (2019)

(Powerful JRE) 21st June 2019
Bob Lazar is a physicist who worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, and also on reverse engineering extraterrestrial technology at a site called S-4 near the Area 51 Groom Lake operating location.
Duration 2h:14m:44s