RAF Mildenhall

News and discussion threads concerning defence personnel and their units.
albedo
United Kingdom

RAF Mildenhall

Post by albedo »

[Not strictly RAF news I know - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate]

Looks like Mildenhall will be remaining open post 2027 according to our local press:

https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/busi ... -1-6775748

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Mildenhall to remain open?

Post by Timmymagic »

albedo wrote:[Not strictly RAF news I know - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate]

Looks like Mildenhall will be remaining open post 2027 according to our local press:
Well it is an RAF base...

You have to wonder if it will survive post Trump though. Personally I was surprised that they were closing it as Mildenhall has had huge amounts of investment. If it closed the RAF would be well served with moving in as the scale and quality of the installation is incredible.

Tempest414
France

Re: Mildenhall to remain open?

Post by Tempest414 »

Timmymagic wrote:
albedo wrote:[Not strictly RAF news I know - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate]

Well it is an RAF base...

You have to wonder if it will survive post Trump though. Personally I was surprised that they were closing it as Mildenhall has had huge amounts of investment. If it closed the RAF would be well served with moving in as the scale and quality of the installation is incredible.
On one hand yes on the other it would take a lot of money to make if fit for UK use

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: RAF Mildenhall

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Timmymagic wrote: have to wonder if it will survive post Trump though. Personally I was surprised that they were closing it
The rationale was to get the tankers closer to where they are needed (generally speaking USAFE has been consolidating to bases further away from "the East")
- that rationale won't go away, even though Trump's irrational Germany hatred prevails for now. He is such a little man that Merkel giving him a cold shoulder gets to drive policy :wtf:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)