The press/ media more generally

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

The press/ media more generally

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The white CNN guy getting thrown out of the White House (gentle, compared to the black colleague handcuffed in the middle of reporting in Minneapolis)... this picture that AP position their reporting with https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=h ... HKBsTQ--~C
really brings it home how much we should appreciate the hard craft
- the helmet is not there for nothing
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: The press/ media more generally

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Looks like journalists in the US will need to don it, too, as according to the Committee to Protect Journalists, there have been around 250 incidents of reporters being punched, attacked with tear-gas canisters and shot with pepper balls during this "latest".
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Looks like journalists in the US will need to don it, too,
This is payback for negative reporting perhaps, of security and political bodies.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

What we definitely don’t need, is a sycophantic press to accompany the politicians who would do irreparable damage to our defences and the dumbing down of our armed forces as a result of the same Politicians requiring our “Professional” Senior Officers to “Toe the Line” rather than encouraging and rewarding them for “Telling the Truth”. :mrgreen:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Scimitar54 wrote:What we definitely don’t need, is a sycophantic press to accompany the politicians
Scimitar54 wrote:dumbing down
vs.
Scimitar54 wrote:encouraging and rewarding them for “Telling the Truth”.
"them" in the last bit can be widened (my interpretation) from career officers to anyone paid for by tax payers to carry out public policy.
Conversely, we should dismantle the Ministry of Truth ASAP, which is being built as we speak... to do the exact opposite :!:

I was just given - on these pages - the recommendation to read 'more Peter Foster' so that I would feel comfortable in 'my echo chamber'.
- having looked up who he is, I think I'll do exactly that. And furthermore, I take the likening of my little scribbles to what comes out of the team lead by him as a great compliment :lol:

Some of the first entries that Gary from Google brought onto the screen:
Peter Foster | Financial Times
[Search domain www.ft.com/peter-foster] https://www.ft.com/peter-foster
Peter Foster is the Public Policy Editor of the Financial Times. His brief is to break out of the bubbles of Westminster and Whitehall to cover all aspects of UK policy, including the ...

FT hires Peter Foster to cover Whitehall - Announcements ...
[Search domain aboutus.ft.com/en-gb/announcements/ft-hires-peter-foster-to-cover-whitehall/] https://aboutus.ft.com/en-gb/announceme ... whitehall/
14 January 2020: The Financial Times has hired Peter Foster as public policy editor, marking a significant investment in the FT's coverage of the UK.
Foster joins from The Telegraph where he has held the position of Europe editor since 2015. He will manage a team of reporters and work closely with the FT's award-winning political writers, led by George Parker, as well as Chris Giles ...

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

While the Ministry of Truth will have to work extra hard in the 1st Quarter, to paint the picture in rosy colours, this trend from the rest of the world tells another story about things being much worse - in certain places:
https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=h ... YUVHBg--~D

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:the helmet is not there for nothing
From my first post
Must now become std issue?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I think my first post talked about helmets becoming std issue
... bah! Looks like CNN videos cannot be shared (was a report of their team being intimidated on Capitol Hill)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 20:45 picture that AP position their reporting with https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=h ... HKBsTQ--~C
really brings it home how much we should appreciate the hard craft
- the helmet is not there for nothing
and luckily Sky had issued more than just helmets to their team in Ukraine: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... =DM1549322
These users liked the author ArmChairCivvy for the post:
SW1