1 (UK) Corps

News and discussion threads concerning defence personnel and their units.
J. Tattersall

1 (UK) Corps

Post by J. Tattersall »

Now this its not arguing for a return to the old BAOR 1 (BR) Corps, rather i do wonder whether the span of command of the current 3 (UK) Div has gotten too broad, with 2 x Armd Inf bde, 2 x Strike bde, artillery bde, air defence group, engineer bde, logistics be etc, plus all the things one needs to add on in a campaign, 16 Air assault bde, light infantry bde(s), signals bdes, ISR bde, force level logistics etc. I wonder whether breaking the command structure down into another 1 or 2 x 2 star level formations might make for a more manageable command & control structure with 3 (UK) Div concentrating on the 'close' battle and the other higher level formation(s) concentrating on security, the 'deep ' battle, force enablers, etc. Even if all the previously mentioned forces weren't deployed the span command of 3(UK) Div is enormous and I do wonder if the ARRC could be re -nationalised and re-purposed as a UK 3 star HQ to primarily command deployed UK forces; particularity so on NATO article V missions in Europe.

Any views?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: 1 (UK) Corps

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

J. Tattersall wrote: artillery bde, air defence group, engineer bde, logistics be etc, plus all the things one needs to add on in a campaign
add ISR, signals
... and you get the new 6th Division

Have a look/ google. But you do raise a concern, just that it has already been addressed.

And ARRC has been part-nationalised. If we send anything more than one division (or if we are active in two separate theatres, it is the only other deployable HQ).
- of course there could be another multinational division, like one that was put together in A-stan
- indeed, there has been rumours of one such being in the making: 1 Brit bde, 1 Danish and the rest Polish
... I wonder if this would be to backfill for the fwrd-based NATO bde in that area that as a standing force has a US lead (and might need to move 'even more' forward)? What does not get many mentions is that aside from what we have sent to Estonia, there is also a small recce Brit presence within that standing force (if the NATO graphics have not gone out of date)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: 1 (UK) Corps

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Anyone have a more uptodate view, re: the above post?
http://kpnet.dk/wp-content/uploads/2017 ... ltikum.jpg
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)