UK Politics - General News & Discussion

For discussions on politics and current events.
SKB
England

UK Politics - General News & Discussion

Post by SKB »

A new thread for all general UK political news and discussion. Brexit discussion should remain (ha!) in the Brexit thread.

SKB
England

Re: UK Politics - General News & Discussion

Post by SKB »

The government's tax levy on sugary soft drinks starts on Friday 6th April 2018, with prices expected to significantly rise.

Alcoholics need not worry.

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

A break down of how UK aid is spent.

"UK aid increased to £13,933m in 2017, up from £13,377m in 2016, an increase of £555m, or 4.2%."

https://www.bond.org.uk/news/2018/04/st ... nt-in-2017

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

US, UK, France strike Syria.
Prime Minister's statement

Operation Shader - Iraq, Syria thread: http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewtopic.php ... 741#p65741

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(BBC News)
British Prime Minister Theresa may held a news conference on the Western air strikes on Syria.

She said no group other than the Syrian government could have carried out a suspected chemical weapons attack in Douma last week.

"We know that the Syrian regime has an abhorrent record of using chemical weapons against its own people," she said.

She said it was "both right and legal" to take action against the Syrian government but it was not about interfering in the Syrian civil war.

The Tornados, flown by 31 Squadron the Goldstars, were supported by a Voyager aircraft.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Proof that the UK is still a major player on the world stage, we fire EIGHT Storm Shadow missiles at targets in Syria! :lolno:

inch

Post by inch »

Just wondeting if anybody knew corbyns labour policy. For our armed forces , being a life long anti war activist

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

inch wrote:Just wondeting if anybody knew corbyns labour policy. For our armed forces , being a life long anti war activist
Here, about halfway down the page.
https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/a-global-britain/#third

inch

Post by inch »

Cheers skb ,will read tonight .my own suspitions before i read it is corbyn. Well up to desimate.Our forces even more so than the conservatives have a knack of doing .very worrying times for this country

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

inch wrote:Cheers skb ,will read tonight .my own suspitions before i read it is corbyn. Well up to desimate.Our forces even more so than the conservatives have a knack of doing .very worrying times for this country

I think that he hardly can be worse than current Government... :(
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Oh yes he can!
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

inch

Post by inch »

I think the conservatives would be considered only midly problematic compared to the total decimation i think corbyn has plans for our forces , in 2 terms of corbyn in power as usually happens with our pm i think we would be something akin to the total forces of Belgium in ability .and im not kidding

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Prime Minister's Common's statement on UK involvement in air strikes on Syria's chemical weapons facilities, followed by questions from MP's.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Home Secretary Amber Rudd resigns
Dear Prime Minister,

It is with great regret that I am resigning as home secretary. I feel it is necessary to do so because I inadvertently misled the Home Affairs Select Committee over targets for removal of illegal immigrants during their questions on Windrush.

Since appearing before the select committee, I have reviewed the advice I was given on this issue and become aware of information provided to my office which makes mention of targets. I should have been aware of this, and I take full responsibility for the fact that I was not.

The Windrush scandal has rightly shone a light on an important issue for our country. As so often, the instincts of the British people are right. They want people who have a right to live here to be treated fairly and humanely, which has sometimes not been the case. But they also want the government to remove those who don't have the right to be here. I had hoped in coming months to devise a policy that would allow the government to meet both these vital objectives - including bringing forward urgent legislation to ensure the rights of the Windrush generation are protected. The task force is working well, the residence cards are being issued well within the two weeks promised, and the design of the compensation scheme is making good progress.

The Home Office is one of the great offices of state and its job is to keep people safe. It comes with the responsibility to fight terrorism, support and challenge the police and protect people against the abuse, as well as manage migration.

It has been a great privilege to serve as your home secretary. I have seen first-hand the second to none commitment and bravery of our police, fire and intelligence services, they truly are the best in the world and we should rightly be extremely proud of them.

I have been particularly pleased that we were able to set up the first Global Internet Forum for Counter Terrorism which has led the way with encouraging social media sites to go further and faster in taking down radicalising and terrorist material, which plays such a dangerous part in increasing extremism.

Setting out new laws to tackle the scourge of knife crime and acid attacks and helping to steer our young people away from a life of crime and violence by providing them with credible alternatives have been particularly important to me.

Opportunities to work on issues that safeguard the vulnerable, champions women and make a lasting impact on people's lives particularly stand out for me. New policies to fight domestic violence and abuse against women are out to consultation, and will lead this country to taking a new approach. Helping to bring thousands of refugees, including child refugees from both Calais and the Middle East region, and meeting some of the families who fled the terrible situation in Syria and have now been given a chance to rebuild their lives here in the UK in safety and security is something we can be proud of.

It has been an honour to work on a new security treaty with the EU as part of our new partnership going forward and to participate in your Brexit sub-committee helping to ensure that we have the best possible EU deal for our economy, businesses, jobs and people across the UK.
The new Economic Crime Centre that i launched with the first use of unexplained wealth orders will be important to the confidence of London as a financial centre.

I will continue to support the Home Office ministerial team whenever possible on all these important subjects, supporting the government from the back benches and continuing to work hard for my constituents of Hastings and Rye.

Best wishes,

Amber Rudd
Here is the Prime Minister's reply:
Dear Amber,

Thank you for your letter of this evening tendering your resignation as home secretary. I was very sorry to receive it, but understand your reasons for doing so.

When you addressed the House of Commons and the Home Affairs Select Committee last week on the issue of illegal immigration, you answered the questions put to you in good faith. People who have entered the United Kingdom illegally or overstayed here should expect to face the full force of the law and know that they will be removed if they will not leave this country voluntarily. Just as importantly, people who have come here legally and enriched the life of our country should not expect the state unreasonably to challenge their presence here; rather, it should help them prove their right to continue living here and contributing to the life of our nation.

Under your tenure, the Home Office has been working to enforce a firm but fair immigration policy - working to increase the number of illegal migrants we remove, while ensuring that we continue to recognise the huge contribution of everyone who has come to the UK legally, and remain open to the brightest and best from across the globe.

When you spoke in the House of Commons, you said that you had not agreed specific removal targets, but that the Home Office's Immigration Enforcement command had been using local targets for internal performance management. You also said that you were not aware that those operational targets had been set.

I understand why, now that you have had chance to review the advice that you have received on this issue, you have made the decision you have made and taken responsibility for inadvertently misleading the Home Affairs Select Committee.

I am very sorry to see you leaving the Home Office, but you should take great pride in what you have achieved there - working with internet service providers to set up the first Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism and take extremist and terrorist content offline; countering the cyber threat to British families and businesses; standing up for the victims of crime, abuse and domestic violence; offering shelter to refugees from Syria and elsewhere; and advancing the cause of equality as minister for women and equalities.

This comes on top of the considerable contribution you have made to Government since 2012 - first as a whip, then as minister and subsequently secretary of state at the department for energy and climate change - as well as the devoted service you have always given, and will continue to give, to your constituents in Hastings and Rye.

As a former home secretary myself, I appreciate the particular demands of that great office of state. You should take great pride in the way you have led the Home Office and its dedicated public servants through a number of serious challenges, including five terrorist incidents and other complex national events. You have done so with great integrity, compassion, and selflessness - notwithstanding the personal and political challenges you have faced during this period.

I know that you have a great contribution still to make to national life, and look forward to seeing you do so.

Yours,

Theresa

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

One fire break gone.

Now, considering the complexities of the EU negotiations, it is understandable that the PM put more of them (3) in place, on that front.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Sajid Javid is the new Home Secretary
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43946845

Also, James Brokenshire replaces Sajid Javid from his previous position.

And Portsmouth North MP Penny Mourdant gets another additional role

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ouchh!

I did not detect any forged facts even though the clip has been released by RT :)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Looking at the messages on @Penny Mordaunt she doesn't seem to be very well liked,But buy that photo she's not a bad looking shelia.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

They've closed down and gone into insolvency....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43983958

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

East Coast mainline to be re-nationalised
(BBC)
Rail services on East Coast Main Line are being brought back under UK government control, operator Stagecoach Group says.

Stagecoach says it has been advised that an "operator of last resort" would be appointed to run the London to Edinburgh service. Stagecoach has operated the franchise with Virgin Trains since 2015.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling is expected to make a statement to parliament shortly. It is the third time in a decade that the government has called a halt to the East Coast franchise.

Stagecoach said in a statement that, along with Virgin, it had been negotiating a new contract with the Department for Transport.
But the company said it now understood that Mr Grayling was "no longer considering" Virgin and Stagecoach for the deal.
East Coast Mainline map:
UPDATE: The line is to be renamed as the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(BBC) 17th June 2018
PM Theresa May discusses with Andrew Marr the unveiling of a £20bn boost to the NHS, the future of Brexit and what she plans to do with the upskirting law.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Guto Bebb has quit his job as Defence Procurement Minister so he could vote against the government on its Brexit Customs Bill.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-44854892

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

As we can see from a Huffpost piece (of today) defence is the penny item within the list that the PM must inform of plans for:

" a two-hour session with the Liaison Committee to cover the topics of Brexit, air quality, defence spending and the refurbishment of Parliament."
while painfully aware of the " the Office for Budget Responsibility warning [from] yesterday that May’s £20bn boost to the health budget - coupled with falling immigration that reduces the number of young and working-age people – will increase the public deficit unless the government moves to increase taxes or slash spending."

Good policies, bad policies... a matter of opinion. You will have to sum them up (fiscally), regardless.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

So, we're in charge of the world again eh?! :thumbup: ;)