Australian Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
R686
Australia

Re: Australian Defence Force

Post by R686 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
Mercator wrote: As far as I can tell, anyway.
And you borrowed all (!) 4 of our work boats :lol: to get the picture taken
I would not be surprised that you sold of your holdings to us :lolno:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Talk about the new bridging capability, look just what popped up in my email.

http://armynews.realviewdigital.com/?ii ... 1#folio=18

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Does the UK still have its M3s?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Yes, they are with reserve units, but being practised with. In conjunction with the bde we still have in Germany (i.e. the one that has the lead within the NATO very high readiness force).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Forecast for lightning late 2018,things seem to be progressing well for F35A introduction with two aircraft set for willy in December. they are looking for IOC on 2020 things are looking up :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.australiandefence.com.au/def ... -lightning

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Heh-heh. we are trying to get one over you... just months before.
- But to make it happen, the squadron size has been set at 9!
r686 wrote: LOOKING FOR ioc ON 2020 THINGS ARE LOOKING UP :THUMBUP: :THUMBUP:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Heh-heh. we are trying to get one over you... just months before.
- But to make it happen, the squadron size has been set at 9!
r686 wrote: LOOKING FOR ioc ON 2020 THINGS ARE LOOKING UP :THUMBUP: :THUMBUP:
Is thats that landed on the mainland or on the CV off the coast of the USA, we got to see who can piss further :lolno: for bragging rights :thumbup:

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

But ours can go up and down on the spot.

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Hilarious

#land400

(And yes, it's very real. I guess they are terrified of the political play for industry jobs that Boxer has been running lately.)

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote:Hilarious

#land400

(And yes, it's very real. I guess they are terrified of the political play for industry jobs that Boxer has been running lately.)
What's your view, which one do you think would best suit the ADF?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

The Boxer may be the better choice but the issue as I understand is loading it onto the ships because of its size, as it cant be driven in and may have to be lifted by crane .

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

seaspear wrote:The Boxer may be the better choice but the issue as I understand is loading it onto the ships because of its size, as it cant be driven in and may have to be lifted by crane .
Is that referring to HMAS Choules as its the first I've heard of it.

http://news.navy.gov.au/en/Feb2017/Flee ... oOpfYlhjTo

Actully just saw one on a low loader going up Mt Ousley, dunno where it was going going but a big mother compared to the M113 I used to cart when in RACT.

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Yeah, I have heard (and seen) NOTHING that would differentiate the two in terms of their physical size and mass in any operational setting. I've seen pictures of them both going through the side of the LHD. They're both big. I've not even heard of a difference in their mobility (even though there's a slight difference in weight). The early stories we heard about armour protection were probably mostly about what was fitted at the time, not really the baseline. But even that is not a huge difference. Not at the operational level.

The only thing I possibly give any substance to is the slight possibility that Boxer is further down the integration path with APS and AT missile development. Possibly. For all I know its simply better marketing. And probably neither one of those two things will be decided with the vehicle.

So, as much as I hate industry policy being confused with defence policy, in this single instance I'm happy enough if the politicians decide it on that basis. Even if that gives the IFV selection a bit of a nudge towards one manufacturer versus the other. I can live with most of them too.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

A much higher profile than the Abram which I read gave the difficulty driving onto the ship I was thinking of the issue with the LCM1E of the Canberra class and the difficulty carrying the Abrams tank

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

seaspear wrote:A much higher profile than the Abram which I read gave the difficulty driving onto the ship I was thinking of the issue with the LCM1E of the Canberra class and the difficulty carrying the Abrams tank
Its not that LLC cannot carry Abrams, it can only carry Abrams in the most calm of conditions and not in the surf zone.

Scuttlebug is they will evaluate the new US Army landing craft.

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-ne ... ion-boats/

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Well if we had just replaced the LCH with some LSTs, we wouldn't even be bothered by this.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote:Well if we had just replaced the LCH with some LSTs, we wouldn't even be bothered by this.
Agree about replacing the LCH's, but they would still need new LLC's for time when LCH replacement is not around as they would transfer by stern gate as the LCHR most likly won't be able to enter the lhd

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

R686 wrote:Scuttlebug is they will evaluate the new US Army landing craft.
Does the new MSV(L) = Caimen90 of BMT design fit within the Canberra's dock? At least, LCU Mk.10 (which Caimen90 is designed to replace) is 240t vs LCM-1E is 110t, loaded.

inch

Post by inch »

hope you guys are going to tell me the type 26 design has won in Australia soon :thumbup:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:
Does the new MSV(L) = Caimen90 of BMT design fit within the Canberra's dock? At least, LCU Mk.10 (which Caimen90 is designed to replace) is 240t vs LCM-1E is 110t, loaded.
As far as I'm awere they can still take x4 landing craft but not the RHIBS that sit behind the LLC's

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

R686 wrote:
donald_of_tokyo wrote:
As far as I'm awere they can still take x4 landing craft but not the RHIBS that sit behind the LLC's
Ahh, but can the Caimen take an Abrams... as the French tanks do not weigh anywhere near as much?

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: Ahh, but can the Caimen take an Abrams... as the French tanks do not weigh anywhere near as much?
I am talking about Caimen 90, BMT-designed LCU. At least in the brochure, it carries the most heavy MBT in the world, Challenger 2.
see :www.bmtdsl.co.uk/media/.../BMT-Caimen-9 ... asheet.pdf

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: I am talking about Caimen 90, BMT-designed LCU. At least in the brochure, it carries the most heavy MBT in the world, Challenger 2.
see :www.bmtdsl.co.uk/media/.../BMT-Caimen-9 ... asheet.pdf
Do you have the correct link please as it comes up as an error.