Section Infantry Weapons

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Little J
United Kingdom

Re: Section infantry weapons

Post by Little J »

I wonder if this includes the weight reduction parts under development (titanium guide rods, etc.).

Also, it looks like you have to remove the new handguard for cleaning.

Little surprised to see Keymod on there too.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

.....,, .......
Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

arfah wrote:Are their any improvements to the working parts, TMH or barrel ?
Well it looks like there's a completely new gas block at least

Seems to be similar to the L22A2s gas block or even HK416, but different

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

lets just get rid and get an M4 clone like the HK417 in a decent calibre

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

There
https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shootin ... DSEi-2013/
we go! Why have a competition?
- and now is the time as the HKs under a preusodonym in the BA are "all" shot (out)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Wrekin762 wrote:
arfah wrote:Are their any improvements to the working parts, TMH or barrel ?
Well it looks like there's a completely new gas block at least

Seems to be similar to the L22A2s gas block or even HK416, but different
What's on the bottom of the gas block? Could it be an HK416 / m320 style locking pin slot. Maybe the L17's will be getting updated for quick detach as well?

And if that is a load of cobblers why leave it exposed? :?:

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

Little J wrote: What's on the bottom of the gas block? Could it be an HK416 / m320 style locking pin slot. Maybe the L17's will be getting updated for quick detach as well?

The Combat and Survival article shows the socket it is indeed for the UGL detent pin.
Does seem L123A3 AG-SA80 would be replaced by the rail-mounted version of the HK GLM.

Looks similar to the short barrelled version that the yanks use as M320 and other nations are using with the latest HK416 models, rather than the long-barrelled AG-C issued for the UK's L119. But I think the one pictured is the HK269 version that can be loaded from the left side or the right side.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

How is a guy wearing a gas mask going to look through those sights?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:How is a guy wearing a gas mask going to look through those sights?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Wrekin762 wrote:
Little J wrote: What's on the bottom of the gas block? Could it be an HK416 / m320 style locking pin slot. Maybe the L17's will be getting updated for quick detach as well?

The Combat and Survival article shows the socket it is indeed for the UGL detent pin.
Does seem L123A3 AG-SA80 would be replaced by the rail-mounted version of the HK GLM.

Looks similar to the short barrelled version that the yanks use as M320 and other nations are using with the latest HK416 models, rather than the long-barrelled AG-C issued for the UK's L119. But I think the one pictured is the HK269 version that can be loaded from the left side or the right side.
Missed that photo when I first read the article... :oops:

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

I am curious how one accesses the gas tube and piston rod for stripping and cleaning, now that there's no folding cover on the handguard

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:How is a guy wearing a gas mask going to look through those sights?
How did he do it before?
How does the more recent gas mask affect things?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

you can't make a slik purse out of a sows ear. Rings true for both SA80 and 5.56mm time to draw a line and move on

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

arfah wrote:
Wrekin762 wrote:I am curious how one accesses the gas tube and piston rod for stripping and cleaning, now that there's no folding cover on the handguard
Yeah, me too,
Starting to think you unscrew the entire handguard with the new hex nut located on the body.

Again the 416 seems to be where inspiration was drawn ~4:00 minutes in

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

arfah wrote:
You're like a stuck needle on a record.

We get it! ;-)
Yeap always been consistent about the heap of shit. Hated it from moment i picked one up till handing my last one back in to the armoury.

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

marktigger wrote:Yeap always been consistent about the heap of shit. Hated it from moment i picked one up till handing my last one back in to the armoury.
So you found it easy to make an objective assessment?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

mr.fred wrote:
marktigger wrote:Yeap always been consistent about the heap of shit. Hated it from moment i picked one up till handing my last one back in to the armoury.
So you found it easy to make an objective assessment?
would say i was fairly objective about it till I actually got hold of one did the conversion and carried it. Interesting how big an export success it was! Thats a bigger indicator of how good a weapon is than the hype put out to try and instill confidence. As they say you design a better mouse trap the world will beat a path to your door.
M16, C7,HK33,Galil,FNC, Steyr Aug and FAMAS all sold better and the UK were trying to sell them.

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

marktigger wrote: Interesting how big an export success it was! Thats a bigger indicator of how good a weapon is than the hype put out to try and instill confidence. As they say you design a better mouse trap the world will beat a path to your door.
Not really. Export success is more dependent on cost, political favour and availability than it is on quality of the weapon.
On top of that, the A1 version was built in fairly small quantities for the British Army then they shut the factory, so outside of a small window when they were quite expensive you could't buy one anyway. The A2 was modified from the A1 so if you wanted that you'd need the A1s, which no-one had. So you could have a situation where the A1 was rubbish, the A2 was superlative and no-one could buy it, so export sales as a metric are not infallible.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

arfah wrote:Practice !
I don't think you can beat the laws of physics, in this case simple inches and angles, to get a view through the optics. You may want to look up some images from various SFs (who actually train with the masks on) and they have elevated the sights
mr.fred wrote:the A2 was superlative and no-one could buy it, so export sales as a metric are not infallible.
Looks like we are v good at business (and then we sold the manufacturer on, for a pittance).

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:I don't think you can beat the laws of physics, in this case simple inches and angles, to get a view through the optics. You may want to look up some images from various SFs (who actually train with the masks on) and they have elevated the sights
Was the SUSAT or the ACOG that much higher up then?
In any case, the LDS has a red-dot on top of it which looks like it would be compatible with gas masks if the main optic is not.
ArmChairCivvy wrote:Looks like we are v good at business (and then we sold the manufacturer on, for a pittance).
No surprises, is it? The A1 being bad could be levelled at business acumen as well.