F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: F-35B Lightning II (RN & RAF)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

They will be (?) filled with concrete, in order not to adversely affect the plane's aerodynamics...in our case
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Sorry but concrete won't match the weight distribution exactly enough. The RAF will have to order the guns out of the T26 budget. No ammunition tho.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

cockneyjock1974
United Kingdom

Post by cockneyjock1974 »

arfah wrote:Not watched this myself (too busy)

F35B test pilot chats at Farnborough 2016

http://www.janes.com/article/62452/farn ... operations
Good spot Arfah, cheers.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Very interesting little video. With regards to the mention of the Italian carriers do they have personnel over at Yuma mixed in with the UK/USMC operation ?

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Post by Geoff_B »

we have barely got the orders in for the first 14 aircraft yet so Gun pods are not likely to be ordered till the larger orders are placed especially as the gun pods still in testing and integration phase. I wouldn't worry about it just yet

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Post by Geoff_B »

arfah wrote:Not watched this myself (too busy)

F35B test pilot chats at Farnborough 2016

http://www.janes.com/article/62452/farn ... operations
Yeap its quite interesting little video that Arfah.

Regarding the Italian Navy he seemed to imply testing with the Italian Carrier will be sometime after the both QEC carrier trials.

Interesting bit about future users on their carriers, wondering if they are thinking of Spain and possibly Japan (?), as the Australians appeared to have cooled their heels on a possible F-35B buy for their Canberra class.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Nice video thanks for sharing. 220 rounds capacity made a mess of the target in just a couple of secs.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Dispersion looks crap. No doubt due to the wibbly wobbly pod mounting.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Surely in these days you don't wanted dispersion all over the place. Too much potential for collateral damage. I'd have thought accuracy was key.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I see your point about dispersion after watching the video a second time. The plane was solid enough whist the gun was firing. The second target what was the range from the gun because a few of the shots were way off.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Dispersion is nothing new and cannot be eliminated. The requirement is 5 milliradians, 80% circle. A-10 levels of accuracy, on a faster, nimbler firing platform. That still means that the rounds get spread on several meters... and that up to 20% of the rounds go even further out of target. The gun is accurate, but only so much.

The M61 Vulcan is an 8 milliradians system, with more dispersion.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Gabriele wrote:Dispersion is nothing new and cannot be eliminated. The requirement is 5 milliradians, 80% circle. A-10 levels of accuracy, on a faster, nimbler firing platform. That still means that the rounds get spread on several meters... and that up to 20% of the rounds go even further out of target. The gun is accurate, but only so much.

The M61 Vulcan is an 8 milliradians system, with more dispersion.
I think you're quoting dispersion targets for the gun. Not the gun in a pod hung off an aircraft.

Podded guns are notoriously inaccurate and the video shows it.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Geoff_B wrote:
Interesting bit about future users on their carriers, wondering if they are thinking of Spain and possibly Japan (?), as the Australians appeared to have cooled their heels on a possible F-35B buy for their Canberra class.
Give it a few years and I suspect it will come up again along with the need for either a third LHD or a carrier with secondary amphibious assualt capabilty, as we have not really solved the long range strike capabilty lost with the F111 and time will show that a third flattop will be needed as we saw how hard the old LPA's were worked

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Interesting article about F35 stealth..
http://www.defensenews.com/story/milita ... /87760454/

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

dunno if this is exactly the right thread for this, but the 'A' has officially reached IOC. one down, two to go.

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

The US Marines declared IOC with the B last year. So it's two down, one to go.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Never mind. Mis-read the post.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Oops.... teaches me to try and multitask again in the future...

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

To be fair, the UK is not due to reach IOC with the B for a couple of years yet...

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Kind of inevitable due to purchase rhythm, number of personnel trained and the fact that british weaponry is integrated with the 3F software.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Heres a link to the news that the F35A is ready.....http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaki ... /87948142/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I've sort of lost interest in the "C"... one nation using (and the Navy never seemed overenthusiastic); but anyway, any news?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:I've sort of lost interest in the "C"... one nation using (and the Navy never seemed overenthusiastic); but anyway, any news?
The C has seemingly now got a working arrestor hook and as far as I know they are going to do some more sea trials with it. I believe the last one was fairly successful. Production wise only one or two on order.