Boeing P-8A Poseidon (MRA Mk.1) (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
downsizer

Re: Boeing P-8A Poseidon (Future Maritime Patrol Aircraft) (RAF)

Post by downsizer »

Government wouldn't pay for new airframes. Upgrades to MR2 was the only "winnable" option. Operators wanted a different platform.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

downsizer wrote:Operators wanted a different platform.
And twenty years later they get one...

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

Little J wrote:
downsizer wrote:Operators wanted a different platform.
And twenty years later they get one...

Twenty?

Its half term isn't it!

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Sorry, was referring to the original Nimrod 2000 project.

xav

Post by xav »

US Navy and USAF to Certify P-8A Poseidon MPA for Aerial Refueling with Instrumented KC-135
A U.S. Navy Aircraft Vehicle Modification and Instrumentation team is hard at work augmenting instrumentation to an Edwardsassigned KC-135 tanker. The unusual arrangement started when the Navy PMA-290 program office approached the 412th Test Management Group about using the Edwards AFB-instrumented KC-135 to certify their P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft from Navy unit VX-20 at Patuxent River, Maryland, for aerial refueling.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3593

Some say this could render MQ-4C less attractive

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

I would already say the MQ-4C is unattractive.

Shame we cant refuel our aircraft though...
@LandSharkUK

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

shark bait wrote: Shame we cant refuel our aircraft though...
Rarely did the 'Rod AAR when hunting subs. Usually ran out of bouys or tired out the crew long before that was necessary. It isn't as big an issue as many think.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

As DS says, the lack of AAR isnt going to affect the ASW unless we are in the South Atlantic. Sadly, for ASuW or overland ops it might. In reality these things are limited by the supply of chicken curry and the toilet!! Buoys are fewer than the MR2 and they are likely to be multistatic and savagely expensive so we aint going to be chucking them about.

The one thing that does worry me is the lack of combat persistence in the ASW arena, they dont carry the same number of fiz bangs inside.

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

jimthelad wrote:As DS says, the lack of AAR isnt going to affect the ASW unless we are in the South Atlantic. Sadly, for ASuW or overland ops it might. In reality these things are limited by the supply of chicken curry and the toilet!! Buoys are fewer than the MR2 and they are likely to be multistatic and savagely expensive so we aint going to be chucking them about.

The one thing that does worry me is the lack of combat persistence in the ASW arena, they dont carry the same number of fiz bangs inside.

"Down South" if thats an issue a request to support from allies with be issued. The RAAF use boom tankers for a start. Don't under estimate the influence of the RN CVF taking up the slack from the USN, so if our friendly cousins from the south won't, I am sure the USAF will TDY a boom.

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Given that all the plumbing is in place, wouldn't it be relatively easy to fit a probe in place of the receptor?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

So have we actually ordered any P8's yet? I note the Australians have 4 out of the next 20 the USN have ordered

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Probably arguing over the cost of the coffee machine. Have not heard any announcements but no doubt negotiations are happening.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Not wanting to rehash the Nimrod debate but the given range of that aircraft appears much greater than the p-8 ,if that was a consideration then ,would anything have changed that it isnt anymore .

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Question;
How do others operate there big aircraft, do the Americans have 1 crew per aircraft, or more?

I know the RAF have more crews than aircraft, Sentry will soon have 12 crews so we can expect there to be more than 15 P8 crews eventually. I was interested if that is standard amongst our allies.
@LandSharkUK

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

Probably 7 crews per sqn with 2 sqn stood up. The jungle telegraph suggests the colours of 120 and 201 are being recalled and cleaned. 120 will be the OTU and 201 the initial ops sqn. 120 will then have an ops flight and a training flight. There seems to a campaign to save 42(R) but that could well form the new proposed operational support sqn which will encompass base and expeditionary support.This is needed because the kipper fleet operated from a dedicated base with no other elements present. I think 206 is officially retired in force.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Jim, maybe this is expecting too much, but have you heard of any rumours that point to additional orders of P-8's beyond the 9 airframes mentioned in the SDSR? If i remember correctly, in one of your earlier tidbits i recall you suggesting that the MoD was potentially looking as as many as 12 aircraft?

Geoff_B
United Kingdom

Post by Geoff_B »

No doubt it will be studied by the MOD, but i can't see a change in the initial requirement unless the offer from Boeing contains options that are really tempting. Otherwise i think we will have to await them entering serviceand finding them so invaluable we need more or they become the ideal playform to replace Sentinel, but either case will most likely be for beyond 2020.

Sinos
United Kingdom

Post by Sinos »

The State Dept has approved the $3.2B sale of 9 P-8A's

http://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/un ... ed-support

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Well spotted hopefully the MOD will place an order soon.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Damn it, it does not include the usual detailed list of related pieces. No way to tell if the MOD will "pull a Homer" by simultaneously not purchasing american torpedoes and not integrating Stingray.

Also, this provides no clue about whether the return of MPA will see a return of anti-shipping attack capability. What happened to the air launched Harpoons in the depots when Nimrdod was canned...?
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Sinos
United Kingdom

Post by Sinos »

Gabriele wrote:Damn it, it does not include the usual detailed list of related pieces. No way to tell if the MOD will "pull a Homer" by simultaneously not purchasing american torpedoes and not integrating Stingray.

Also, this provides no clue about whether the return of MPA will see a return of anti-shipping attack capability. What happened to the air launched Harpoons in the depots when Nimrdod was canned...?
I guess we'll only see a detailed breakdown after we sign a contract and it has to get approved by the Senate Foreign Relations committee

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

One step forward I guess.
Gabriele wrote:Damn it, it does not include the usual detailed list of related pieces. No way to tell if the MOD will "pull a Homer" by simultaneously not purchasing american torpedoes and not integrating Stingray.

You can see this coming a mile away gab. I guess if we were a glass half full type of forum we could say the reason there is no mention of torpedoes is because we are integrating Stingray. 8-)

I've asked about the air launched Harpoons in the past and the general consensus is that they are gone.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Zeus, give me strength...
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

The Harpoons are life expired. They were in number 4 ordinance shed at Kinloss but then moved to MoD Beith. Where they are now is anyones guess. They were due to go back to Boeing to be relifed as Block 3. I will try to find out more.

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

There's no active Block 3 program from anyone as far as I'm aware. The last I heard about RAF Harpoons was when Typhoon was being tested as a launch platform. My impression was that they took it far enough to certify Typhoon can use the missile (for the sake of sales) then proceeded to cease spending any money on air-launched harpoons for any platform.