Directed Energy Weapons

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
Ian Hall
United Kingdom

Re: Directed Energy Weapons

Post by Ian Hall »

These users liked the author Ian Hall for the post (total 2):
Anthony58Ron5

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Implies to me that the Dragonfire tests went well.
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
Anthony58

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Any thoughts on the cost effectiveness of lasers vs guns or missiles, prompted by DefenseScoop May article where its mentioned US to give Israel $1.2 billion in funding for R&D for their Iron Beam laser CIWS in addition to what Israel has funded internally, advocates of lasers often say lasers only cost a few £/$ per shot.

The 100-kilowatt high-energy laser is designed to defeat a variety of threats, including unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and engage targets “a few hundred meters to up to several kilometers” away, according to Israeli defense contractor Rafael. // The $1.2 billion appropriated by the U.S. Congress for Iron Beam will remain available until Sept. 30, 2026. The system is expected to be fielded by the Israeli military by the end of 2025, a Rafael executive told Breaking Defense last month.

https://defensescoop.com/2024/04/25/iro ... l-funding/

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Comrade, it is good to hear that guns and missiles are free to develop.
new guy

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Ron5 wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 15:35 Comrade, it is good to hear that guns and missiles are free to develop.

Possible gun alternatives and costs to lasers.

Israeli thinking of re-introducing their Machbet variant of the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System (VADS) based on the M113) retired in 2006 to to counter the thousands of Hezbollah drones with its Phalanx gun, Wikipedia claim the 20mm round with its 12mm depleted uranium penetrator has an effective range of 2.5 km.

Latest cost figures seen the Naval Phalanx CIWS is the Feb 2022 figure quote of $129 million for six systems plus ammunition, spares etc. for the South Korean Navy.

The South Korean Navy plans for its new ship classes FFX Batch III, KDDX, and CVX programs is to fit the new LIG CIWS-II using the same Goalkeeper/A10 30mm gatling gun with a variant of its AESA MFR radar as developed for its new fighter KAI KF-21 Boramae, assume equivalent to the Typhoon MFR ECRS Mk2, understand CIWS-II developmet cost approx. $230 million to 2030.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Da comrade, having others pay the development costs is very good. Doesn't make them free though.
new guy

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Totally agree comrade, definately not free but the queation is guns would appear to be the less expensive option than lasers and as effective.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

NickC wrote: 12 Jul 2024, 14:42 Totally agree comrade, definately not free but the queation is guns would appear to be the less expensive option than lasers and as effective.
Comrade, you have posted exactly zero data in support of your assertions. Помните, всегда печатайте всю правду.
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post (total 2):
new guytomuk

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

From Janes today:
South Korean firm Hanwha Aerospace started production on 11 July of a new anti-aircraft laser weapon, the country's Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) announced.

DAPA said the start of production follows a contract it signed with Hanwha Aerospace in late June to produce the ‘Laser Based Anti-Aircraft Weapon Block-I' for the Republic of Korea (RoK) Armed Forces. Under the contract deliveries of the systems will start later in 2024.

A DAPA spokesperson told Janes that deliveries of the Block-I system to the RoK Armed Forces will be complete by 2026. The spokesperson said the contract is valued at USD70 million but did not disclose the number of systems that will be delivered.

“This laser anti-aircraft weapon (Block-I) is a new-concept future weapon system that neutralises targets by directly irradiating them with a light-source laser generated from an optical fibre,” DAPA said in a statement. “[The system] can precisely strike small unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and multicopters at close range.”

DAPA said the Block-I system is “silent, does not require ammunition, and can be operated only with electricity”. It said the cost of a single firing of the weapon is about KRW2,000 (USD1.45).

“In addition, if output is improved in the future it is a weapon system that can play a game-changing role in the future battlefield, capable of responding to aircraft and ballistic missiles,” DAPA said.

Development of the Block-I system started in 2019, with a budget of KRW87 billion. DAPA's Agency for Defense Development (ADD) led the development project and Hanwha Aerospace was selected as programme development and production partner.

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Ron5 wrote: 12 Jul 2024, 20:26
NickC wrote: 12 Jul 2024, 14:42 Totally agree comrade, definately not free but the queation is guns would appear to be the less expensive option than lasers and as effective.
Comrade, you have posted exactly zero data in support of your assertions. Помните, всегда печатайте всю правду.

Possible gun alternatives and costs to lasers.

Israel thinking of re-introducing their Machbet variant of the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System (VADS) -based on the M113. retired in 2006 to counter the thousands of Hezbollah drones. Wikipedia claim the 20mm round with its 12mm depleted uranium penetrator has an effective range of 2.5 km.

Latest cost figures seen the Naval Phalanx CIWS is the Feb 2022 figure quote of $129 million for six systems plus ammunition, spares etc. for the South Korean Navy.

The South Korean Navy plans for their new ship classes FFX Batch III, KDDX, and CVX programs is to fit the new LIG CIWS-II using the same Goalkeeper/A10 30mm gatling gun with a variant of its AESA MFR radar as developed for its new fighter KAI KF-21 Boramae, assume equivalent to the Typhoon MFR ECRS Mk2, understand CIWS-II development cost approx. $230 million to 2030.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Silly comrade, nothing in your post supports your assertions. You equate development cost to production cost, totally ignore the cost of ammunition and missiles and just throw in random stuff to see if it sticks.

Russia hates F-35, lasers and advanced radars. Your three favorite subjects to criticize. You be a Putin bot. уходи, идиот.

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Ron5 wrote: 16 Jul 2024, 15:26 Silly comrade, nothing in your post supports your assertions. You equate development cost to production cost, totally ignore the cost of ammunition and missiles and just throw in random stuff to see if it sticks.

Russia hates F-35, lasers and advanced radars. Your three favorite subjects to criticize. You be a Putin bot. уходи, идиот.
You do put out an amazing amount of crap at times and sometimes wonder if you are able to read. I posted above "Latest cost figures seen the Naval Phalanx CIWS is the Feb 2022 figure quote of $129 million for six systems plus ammunition, spares etc. for the South Korean Navy." and yet you say I'm ignoring production cost and ammo :crazy:

All have seen with DragonFire CIWS is the £100 million spent on the tech demonstrator and £350 million in funding by April 2027 to deliver minimum deployable capability. We don't know what the 'minimum deployable capability' is, one system?

So i will turn it round and I'll ask if you can you quote with source production cost of a DragonFire after your comments.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

NickC wrote: 17 Jul 2024, 09:11
Ron5 wrote: 16 Jul 2024, 15:26 Silly comrade, nothing in your post supports your assertions. You equate development cost to production cost, totally ignore the cost of ammunition and missiles and just throw in random stuff to see if it sticks.

You do put out an amazing amount of crap at times and sometimes wonder if you are able to read. I posted above "Latest cost figures seen the Naval Phalanx CIWS is the Feb 2022 figure quote of $129 million for six systems plus ammunition, spares etc. for the South Korean Navy." and yet you say I'm ignoring production cost and ammo :crazy:

All have seen with DragonFire CIWS is the £100 million spent on the tech demonstrator and £350 million in funding by April 2027 to deliver minimum deployable capability. We don't know what the 'minimum deployable capability' is, one system?

So i will turn it round and I'll ask if you can you quote with source production cost of a DragonFire after your comments.
Comrade, I'm not the one claiming lasers are more expensive. You are. And all the while most, if not all, leading Western countries are developing laser systems. Вы с Путиным хорошие партнеры.