Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Re: Typhoon

Post by shark bait »

I spotted that earlier and called bullshit, it seems like a very misinformed piece of reporting. I couldn't even speculate where they had got this from, perhaps getting mixed up with the Kuwati Typhoon deal is possible.
@LandSharkUK

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

I expect that it's BS, but have Oman received their deliveries?

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

A little grubbing around and behold :-

https://www.facebook.com/MLAmovements/

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

jonas wrote:A little grubbing around and behold :-

https://www.facebook.com/MLAmovements/
Nice find. I guess that story can safely be ignored now.

Two tankers, two waves of Typhoons and C-17s/C-130s seen days before. Looks like a pretty significant exercise.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

I was looking for which ones were heading out that way, jonas beat me to it though :D ; ZZ338
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@LandSharkUK

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

Pseudo wrote:but have Oman received their deliveries?
The Omani ones haven't come off the production line yet.

The Hawks that Oman bought at the same time are supposedly going to be delivered first; planned some time in 2017. So I imagine the first Omani Typhoon deliveries will be later that year, and on in 2018 when BAE said their order book (as of last spring/summer) would be completed

The last Typhoon delivery to a foreign customer from Warton was two aircraft destined for the RSAF's newest Typhoon squadron (80th Squadron). ZK608/8009 and ZK609/8010, back in December

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Denmark Pushes back Fighter Selection until early next year

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... -year.html
The five-month-old Danish government under Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen's center-right Liberal (Venstre) Party has opted to push back the selection of the country's next combat aircraft. The decision comes as the government struggles with the financing issues surrounding the estimated $4.5 billion Fighter Replacement Program (FRP). The FRP aims to replace the Royal Danish Air Force's fleet of F-16s between 2020 and 2024, during which time the older models will be phased out of service. The three platforms short-listed to replace the Danish F-16s are Lockheed Martin's F-35 Lightning II, Boeing's F/A-18 Super Hornet and the Eurofighter consortium's Typhoon.

But budget cuts and an uncertain economic environment have forced Copenhagen to reconsider the scope of the FRP, reducing its potential buy down to 24-36 aircraft from the originally-planned total of 48 new fighters. Choosing the F-35 would result in the smallest number of aircraft procured at 24. The Super Hornet and Typhoon bids involve 30 and 36 aircraft purchases, respectively.
I genuinely wonder if this one is a mistake. More Typhoons than Super Hornets in a deal where Boeing could shut down the F-35? Unless there's some sort of bonkers political angle on it, I have a feeling they got the Super Hornet and Typhoon numbers around the wrong way.

---

Vietnam is in talks to buy Eurofighter Typhoon fighter?

http://defense-studies.blogspot.rs/2016 ... ghter.html
According to the National Interest of the United States, the information said that Vietnam is negotiating purchase of Eurofighter Typhoon fighter expressed as movements of Vietnam in strategies to reduce dependence on Russian weapons, as well as strengthening ability.

...according to experts, the Vietnam buy American fighter still very far although bilateral relations between the two countries have improved greatly in recent times . On the issue of buying weapons, Europe will have the advantage.

According to Reuters, Hanoi recently achieved certain progress in the negotiations Typhoon aircraft.
However, Vietnam needs more out of fighters.
This one really came out of no-where. Tiny throwaway hints are occuring again. A possible sleeper hit?

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

^ They have a shed load of dated MiG-21s that need replacing and they seem to have grown tired of MKVs and Su-27s for the time being. It is an odd one and personally i don't expect much to come of it but i'd happily be surprised. Beats selling to most of our so called 'friends' in the Gulf - just so long as they don't let any of the things fall in to the PRCs hands somehow, somewhere down the line! :)

JayDee
United Kingdom

Post by JayDee »

Malta international airport take some good shot's

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

arfah wrote:Vietnam want Typhoons?

I wasn't expecting that!
Their previous plan was to piggy-bag on the Indo_riussian PAK-FA version (presumably with some kind of Indian subsidy, or technical support.

Kit falling into PRC's hands is quite unlikely, because they are the reason why Vietnam, with a v low GDP per capita wants to buy super-dooper jets.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Vietnam sounds like a wild card. Who would be responsible for that? I can't think if they have strong relations we any western nations.
@LandSharkUK

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

RetroSicotte wrote:
...according to experts, the Vietnam buy American fighter still very far although bilateral relations between the two countries have improved greatly in recent times . On the issue of buying weapons, Europe will have the advantage.
Are the French in the same boat as the Americans so far as past relations having an impact on their potential for selling fighters to Vietnam?

If that's the case then it really is only Typhoon that exists other than the Russian kit that they apparently want to move away from, which stands a chance.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

If ever a story was BS then this is a good contender. Vietnam is not exactly afloat with money and I would suggest that Typhoon is far to expensive for them. Like India, Russia will make them an offer that financialy they can't refuse.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

report is corroborated by a more reputable source; http://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietn ... 4U20150605

stills sounds unlikely, typhoons not well know for being cheap, but a small fleet would be manageable for Vietnam, who is rapidly boosting their defences in the face of Chinese aggression in their territory.
@LandSharkUK

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

If I had to take a guess, they're looking for second hand Tranche 1's. Would explain the cost element.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

jonas wrote:Like India, Russia will make them an offer that financially they can't refuse
I think RS might be on the ball.

China took a beating from Vietnam on land; at sea (different year) it went the other way. In air the score is clear from the beginning, if Vietnam has no technology edge. They were banking on the Indian version of PAK-FA, but the Indians are v unhappy with the workshare as the prgrm has been fleshed out in more detail, beyond press releases that made both parties (and the project itself) look good. It is most likely that the specific 2-seater version will never happen, and the political reasons for getting less reliant on Russia (directly) have been set out in the linked article.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Anticipated Kuwaiti Deal for 28 Eurofighters Delayed
A contract for 28 Eurofighter aircraft that was expected to be signed Sunday by Kuwait has been put off for “procedural” reasons, an Italian Ministry of Defence source said.

Last week, sources in Italy and Kuwait told Defense News that the long-awaited contract, based on a memorandum of understanding signed in September, would be signed on Sunday by Kuwaiti Minister of Defense Khaled al-Jarrah al-Sabah and Italian Minister of Defense Roberta Pinotti.

However, the signing did not take place, and a source in Rome said that it had been held up “by internal procedural problems” in Kuwait and did not say if a new date had been fixed.
Rest here: http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /79657368/

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

I guess that this means that someone in the US has got their finger out of it's arse and made some positive noises with regards to the Kuwaiti's preferred option of F/A-18E's.

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
jonas wrote:Like India, Russia will make them an offer that financially they can't refuse
I think RS might be on the ball.

China took a beating from Vietnam on land; at sea (different year) it went the other way. In air the score is clear from the beginning, if Vietnam has no technology edge. They were banking on the Indian version of PAK-FA, but the Indians are v unhappy with the workshare as the prgrm has been fleshed out in more detail, beyond press releases that made both parties (and the project itself) look good. It is most likely that the specific 2-seater version will never happen, and the political reasons for getting less reliant on Russia (directly) have been set out in the linked article.
As far as the Indians being unhappy about any workshare over the PAK-FA, I wouldn't read to much into that. Almost every deal that those two countries enter into is traditionaly fraught. India always demands more than she ever expects to get, be it workshare,TOT, reductions in price,and in the end she always bows to the inevitable.The fact is that Russia has stood by India when other countries didn't, and India knows that they can rely on Russia to sell them weapons.

Though it's not just Russia they play this game with, it's the same with France and the Rafale deal. The main thing they want is the TOT, so that they don't have to spend more than the need on R@D themselves. Let other countries do the hard and expensive work for them. Trying to do a deal with India is like walking into a minefield, and that's before firms come up against their mind numbing bureaucracy.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

jonas wrote:The main thing they want is the TOT, so that they don't have to spend more than the need on R@D themselves. Let other countries do the hard and expensive work for them. Trying to do a deal with India is like walking into a minefield, and that's before firms come up against their mind numbing bureaucracy.
All of that too true.
- most competitions can't run as just about every foreign firm is black listed from some earlier context
- Russians were clever: the Indian Navy admiral in charge of the carrier refurb project got fired for spending years in a honey trap. But the "honey" was not a company, so no one got black listed

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

arfah wrote: Vietnam and the PRC aren't best mates because of the South China Sea.

Anyways, the PRC probably have everything they need from a Typhoon on "Froppy Disk"
That's what i'm afraid of! :) Things going terribly South between the two and China ends up landing itself with all sorts of bits of Vietnamese kit in its hands.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

There is no way the gooks are going to be operating Typhoons. Never. Ain't going to happen.

They may be dabbling in western gear, but the russians will make an offer they can't refuse.