CANADA

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
SKB
England

Re: CANADA

Post by SKB »

inch

Post by inch »

Won't the french leaning Canada government just buy the french design that Australia was going to get ,the 12 Australian diesel boats design just going to France instead?

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

SKB wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 11:44
It’d be great if between the 3 of us ( USA, UK, Australia ) we could convince Canada to join the AUSUK SSN project with 30 odd subs ordered between the 3 smaller nations and the US ordering what every very large number they need.
These users liked the author Jake1992 for the post (total 2):
sunstersunwargame_insomniac

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

I understood an advantage of nuclear over conventional submarines was the safer under ice transits ,I'm not privy to Canadas submarine patrols of course ,but as Russia's nuclear submarine fleet have been known to broach the various ice in those regions , perhaps Canada should have an ability to patrol these approaches .
Perhaps instead of looking at conventional submarines from France inquire about the nuclear Barracuda class

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

inch wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 12:53 Won't the french leaning Canada government just buy the french design that Australia was going to get ,the 12 Australian diesel boats design just going to France instead?
Far as I know there were never detailed plans drawn up still had a long way to go.

Would be 100% French built id say, Macron would be overjoyed.

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

Well the door is shut on Canada joining AUKUS ,
https://www.naval-technology.com/featur ... sion-door/
Its hard of course to compare costs of developing a manufacturing industry for submarines when you only require a small number compared to buying off a production line ,I believe there should be a consideration of seeking to acquire the nuclear French Barracuda class , the costs quoted for France to acquire their submarines might be tempting if these unit prices were available to Canada, certainly a smaller submarine than the AUKUS variant with less manning could prove safer to operate under ice than a conventional submarine
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboo ... eas-193043

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

This thesis provides arguments for Canada acquiring nuclear submarines even providing estimations of cost comparisons
https://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/259/290/40 ... ibchuk.pdf

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Zeno wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 09:38 I believe there should be a consideration of seeking to acquire the nuclear French Barracuda class , the costs quoted for France to acquire their submarines might be tempting if these unit prices were available to Canada, certainly a smaller submarine than the AUKUS variant with less manning could prove safer to operate under ice than a conventional submarine
Has Barracuda been designed to operate under the ice though? I very much doubt it as the French have little experience with it...they very rarely ventured to the high north with their SSN to play with the big boys...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

CAUKUS?
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
2HeadsBetter

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

For Canada or especially its Prime minister to want to join would be the biggest about face since St Paul on the road to Damascus , I dont believe he wants to see the light

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Basically 5 eyes minus N. Zealand..

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

So would that be "Four eyes"

.... I'll get my coat
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post:
serge750
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

Speculation?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Won't they just go with the P8 ?

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

They have already chosen P8.
https://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-me ... 0-eng.html
Following engagements with industry and Canada’s closest allies, the government has determined that the P-8A Poseidon is the only currently available aircraft that meets all of the CMMA operational requirements, namely anti-submarine warfare and C4ISR. This platform is a proven capability that is operated by several of Canada’s defence partners including all of its Five Eyes allies—the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand—as well as Norway, and South Korea. Germany has also recently purchased this platform.

With a view to exploring this option in more detail, Canada has recently submitted a Letter of Request (LOR) through the United States government’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program outlining Canada’s requirements and requesting an offer. These requirements include up to 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft and associated equipment and initial servicing, as well as access to intellectual property and technical data.
Hopefully this is just the Canadians trying to get a good deal or some offsets from the US. If they are serious about not getting P8 what's wrong with SAAB Globaleye it is a Bombardier airframe.
These users liked the author tomuk for the post (total 2):
serge750abc123

xav

Post by xav »

Korean industry very eager about the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project (CPSP).

[VIDEO] Day 2 at #MADEX2023
In this video we focus on the topic of submarines, specifically the KSS III Batch 2 and the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project (CPSP) 🇰🇷🇨🇦.
We talked to:
➡️ Hanwha Ocean
➡️ HHI
➡️ Babcockplc
➡️ Hanwha Aerospace Li-Ion 🔋

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Canada massively increasing its air to air refuelling and air transport capabilities with the best aircraft in world delivering it.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post (total 3):
wargame_insomniacserge750abc123

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

8 to replace 2? Why so many, they aren't going to do a Voyager and rent them out are they?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Little J wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 17:16 8 to replace 2? Why so many, they aren't going to do a Voyager and rent them out are they?
Most likely they always need it. 2 was also only going to be a training capability only.

8 wil most likely only see between 4/6 avalible at any one time due minor/ major maintenance requirements

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

It’s a big country, with a need to provide air defence security on their east and west coasts with a need to be less reliant on the US not to mention perhaps a need for deployments to the European theatre of operations in the future now more firmly on the radar.

One of those assets always in high demand and always asked for in any coalition operation.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
serge750

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Goodness knows how many extra they will need to defend their North “coast”. :mrgreen:
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Icedragon9
Canada

Post by Icedragon9 »

xav wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 13:36 Korean industry very eager about the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project (CPSP).

[VIDEO] Day 2 at #MADEX2023
In this video we focus on the topic of submarines, specifically the KSS III Batch 2 and the Canadian Patrol Submarine Project (CPSP) 🇰🇷🇨🇦.
We talked to:
➡️ Hanwha Ocean
➡️ HHI
➡️ Babcockplc
➡️ Hanwha Aerospace Li-Ion 🔋

For operating under ice effectively a nuclear submarine is a must. No matter how advanced the KSS is it can't match the capabilities of a true SSN.
I would be very disappointed if we don't take advantage of AUKUS to revive the Canada-class program.
These users liked the author Icedragon9 for the post:
R686

Phil Sayers

Post by Phil Sayers »

Icedragon9 wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 17:39
For operating under ice effectively a nuclear submarine is a must. No matter how advanced the KSS is it can't match the capabilities of a true SSN.
I would be very disappointed if we don't take advantage of AUKUS to revive the Canada-class program.
I'm none too clear on the details but I seem to recall reading that when Canada previously looked at SSNs in the early 90s the USN expressed such concern that it became a non-starter. IIRC the issue they raised is that they believed they had sufficient boats themselves to patrol under the ice such that Canadian subs would not add much to overall Western security (just a duplication of assets) but would risk some kind of incident between a Canadian SSN and a Russian SSBN / SSN dragging the US into war.

Personally, I think going nuclear would make sense for Canada in the same way as it does for Australia but. unless the USN attitude has changed in the last thirty years, I don't see how it can happen. The UK will not (and potentially by treaty cannot) share nuclear technology if the US objects to the UK doing so.
These users liked the author Phil Sayers for the post:
R686