Scotland (Political Thread)

For discussions on politics and current events.

Scottish Independence?

Political Independence (Retain Monarchy)
7%
Full Independence (No Monarchy or Commonwealth)
16%
Stay In The United Kingdom
75%
Emigrate To Ireland
1%

Total votes: 81

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Re: Scotland (Political Thread)

Post by TheLoneRanger »

I think, by ignoring a possibile Scottish exit, the UK goverment is making sure it happens. It cannot continue to put its head in the sand and pretend all is ok and nothing is going on.

The UK should make it clear that independence means :

- No common travel area between an independent Scotland and the rUK. (Since there is no Peace to preserve like Island of Ireland or Belfast agreement, then there is no need to offer this). There will be a hard border. More so, as we dont want EU laws to become effective in the UK through the backdoor via a seperation framework with Scotland!!!!!!
- Scotland will have to pay its share of the debt in Sterling.
- Scotland does not inherit any portion of UK institutions? ie similar to the UK leaving the EU and not getting any share.
- Scotland will have to build its own defence - there will be no rUK defence coverage for Scotland - not even in exchange for a finanical yearly contribution.
- All trade will be on WTO terms unless Scotland joins
- Trade will not include a services trade deal for either an independent scotland, or if it is part of the EU.
- A seperation vote must have a minimum of 50% of voters, with a 2/3rd majority to make it legal.
- All UK defence manufacturing institutions will be relocated to the UK.
- An independent Scotland cannot use sterling.
- An independent Scotland will not get access to UK institutions, eg BBC. They will have to create their own from scratch.
- An independent Scotland will not have the Bank of England as a lender of last resort, or have loans backed by the Bank of England.
- There will be no transition period for Scottish Independence. Everything stops on the day of leaving the UK.
- All UK goverment jobs in Scotland will be relocated to the UK - or they will need to be transitioned to
- Since pensions are paid from current taxes(there is no pot for pensions), Scotland will have to pay for its own pensions. Nothing from the UK.

Right now - the Scottish nats can make up any claim and pass it of as legitimate and correct which creates a false. Scots need to understand what independence looks like. That is the only thing that will get past the SNP propagandea.

We all should look how did Canada successfully managed Quebecs independence drive, to see how the UK should manage it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -the-dream

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

TheLoneRanger wrote:Scots need to understand what independence looks like. That is the only thing that will get past the SNP propagandea.
The point I was trying to make - obviously v badly.
TheLoneRanger wrote:pay its share of the debt in Sterling.
No funny monies :)
TheLoneRanger wrote:no rUK defence coverage for Scotland - not even in exchange for a finanical yearly contribution.
How about offering air defence cover in exchange for keeping the SBAs for our boats?
TheLoneRanger wrote: will not get access to UK institutions, eg BBC
... and I thought this was a golden opportunity to send back all the luvvies who replaced 'Queens' English' speakers overnight - boy! what a shock :eh: that was
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The IFS continues with other aspects (they have provided an update to the fiscal projection):

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/fig%201%20scotland.png

The horizontal line (for 3%) which is defined in the EU stability pact would be reached (within a reasonable time frame by spending £15 bn less; I haven't checked how big part of that is currently covered thru the Barnett Formula).

Further, to join, any country would have to have its own currency (£ may have issuing banks in Scotland, but that does not meet the criterion).

Some hard work, then. Plug the fiscal gap while also building up the reserves to be able to manage own currency... before aspiring to join the euro.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Defence IT Services.

I suppose there is a method in the madness. Create more jobs, that in the event of independence will need to be moved south of the border. Therefore, vote for independence and lose your jobs. :thumbdown:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/high ... -in-europe

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I understand your concern, but in the light of several bases closing in Scotland, this sounds/ looks quite good:
"Located close to the defence sites of RAF Lossiemouth and Kinloss Barracks, the skills and experience of ex-service personnel are also being utilised with 20 already recruited, and that number is expected to grow. "

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

jonas wrote:Defence IT Services.

I suppose there is a method in the madness. Create more jobs, that in the event of independence will need to be moved south of the border. Therefore, vote for independence and lose your jobs. :thumbdown:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/high ... -in-europe
If you want to keep the Union together then you must show the benefit of being in the Union. By withdrawing such benefits from Scotland you only increase the chances of succession
These users liked the author dmereifield for the post:
zanahoria

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Make sure Scots resident in all parts of the UK also get to vote in a referendum. :mrgreen:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:in the light of several bases closing in Scotland, this sounds/ looks quite good:
"Located close to the defence sites of RAF Lossiemouth and Kinloss Barracks
I didn't have the link (what my reference was with regard to) to hand, but here goes:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/troops- ... n-planned/

Note 'net zero' :) near Kinloss

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

CNN goes to wrong Scottish city for COP26 conference

CNN idiots went to Edinburgh, not Glasgow for COP26... :roll: :mrgreen:

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Don’t tell me ……… They empty-chaired everyone ! They did not turn up, so the situation cannot be that serious ! :lolno: :lol:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Supreme Court rejects SNP's IndyRef2 plans

The Scottish government cannot hold an independence referendum without the UK government's consent, the Supreme Court has ruled.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-63727562
:lol:
These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 2):
TheLoneRangerLittle J

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 17:51 Supreme Court rejects SNP's IndyRef2 plans

The Scottish government cannot hold an independence referendum without the UK government's consent, the Supreme Court has ruled.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-63727562
:lol:
What I did find interesting was the bit about not being able to use the international law for becoming independent.

I notice that some pro independent supporters are now saying that they are a colony of England, UK is a prison for the Scottish and not democratic. But have they forgotten that the England just like the other nation/states can’t just up and leave either, England also would have to have a bill to become independent also

But the Supreme Court ruled that they are not a colony or repressed society so that route is not applicable as well

It’s not different to Australia when it became a federation.

The Preamble to the Constitution states that the Australian federation is 'indissoluble' – not able to be broken.

the Australian Constitution states
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA CONSTITUTION ACT - PREAMBLE

WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:

And whereas it is expedient to provide for the admission into the Commonwealth of other Australasian Colonies and possessions of the Queen:

Be it therefore enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:--

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Why NATO's Biggest Weakness Is Scotland

(RealLifeLore) 13th December 2022
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
serge750

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

interesting....perhaps if sadley scotland left a deal could be done to lease a little of the outer hebrides....would scotland be allowed into NATO if they left the UK?

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

serge750 wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 16:10 interesting....perhaps if sadley scotland left a deal could be done to lease a little of the outer hebrides....would scotland be allowed into NATO if they left the UK?
Well the Outer Hebrides voted No in the independence referendum 53.4% and the Orkneys (67.2%) and Shetland (63.7%) voted even more NO

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

tomuk wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 01:11
serge750 wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 16:10 interesting....perhaps if sadley scotland left a deal could be done to lease a little of the outer hebrides....would scotland be allowed into NATO if they left the UK?
Well the Outer Hebrides voted No in the independence referendum 53.4% and the Orkneys (67.2%) and Shetland (63.7%) voted even more NO
It's a curious thing, the SNP really are a one trick pony and that tricks been taken away, so what are you left with????

They have no substance, no way of funding an independent Scotland without immediate EU membership and massive bailouts ( they won't get, that's been clear to them), they can't even run their devolved responsibilities properly now, it's a real shit show....

Yet their supporters can't get enough of them, like Lemmings they are lined up, painted smiling faces, ready to jump off the cliff, Scottish flag fluttering as they free fall towards doom..

Nowt as queer as folk, as my granny always used to say....

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

I have come across a pro Scottish independence blog called Scot goes pop in which the mention all the political parties

But someone keeps reply with “WGD numpties”

I figured out what numpties mean but what does WGD refer to. I tried to post a reply to no avail

Anyone know what they would be meaning?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

NICOLA STURGEON RESIGNS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... =editorial
Fan-dabi-dozi!
:clap: :mrgreen:

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

SKB wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 11:01 NICOLA STURGEON RESIGNS!

Fan-dabi-dozi!

Made my day - hopefully Scotland gets a leader who wants to govern and look after the scottish people and not follow a personal agenda for their own glorification and place in the annals of "Scottish History"...
These users liked the author TheLoneRanger for the post (total 3):
SKBLittle Jmrclark303

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

TheLoneRanger wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 19:07
SKB wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 11:01 NICOLA STURGEON RESIGNS!

Fan-dabi-dozi!

Made my day - hopefully Scotland gets a leader who wants to govern and look after the scottish people and not follow a personal agenda for their own glorification and place in the annals of "Scottish History"...
I wonder if we will find out why she suddenly jumped, I suppose it will come out in the next week or so.
Another scandal, no doubt jumped before she was pushed by someone.....
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
TheLoneRanger

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:lol: :clap:

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

I found this quote from Kate Forbes very interesting

So having access to that huge single market, but also having sort of streamlined and accessible relationships or trading relationships with the rest of the UK.
Does she not realise that the UK is still the official sovereign government of NI.

So if Scotland became independent then the trade relationship with the UK becomes the TCA.

If the EU forced a customs border to protect the single market in NI there is no sea border between England and Scotland only one place the EU will tell Scotland to place it to protect the single market

Naive at best

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23394 ... ed-brexit/

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

R686 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:35 I found this quote from Kate Forbes very interesting

So having access to that huge single market, but also having sort of streamlined and accessible relationships or trading relationships with the rest of the UK.
Does she not realise that the UK is still the official sovereign government of NI.

So if Scotland became independent then the trade relationship with the UK becomes the TCA.

If the EU forced a customs border to protect the single market in NI there is no sea border between England and Scotland only one place the EU will tell Scotland to place it to protect the single market

Naive at best

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23394 ... ed-brexit/
The SNP is like a broken record isn't it, a real one trick pony, I think they are actually starting to bore themselves with this sort of nonsense that doesn't even pass the most fleeting of glances

I hope Labour manage to make inroads back into SNP territory and put the SNP to bed, they have done a tremendous amount of damage to Scotland during their tenure.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

An interesting take on the SNP and it's current "issues"

https://robinmcalpine.org/but-why-would ... of-snp-hq/
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post (total 2):
R686SW1
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Humza Yousaf Is the new SNP leader, so I take it he is also the new FM?

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/humza-yo ... n-12843363

Also I noticed on a blog that I read to get a idea about what’s going on with Scottish Independence (Scot goes pop)

He seems to be having a bit of a melt down over the selection

So wonder what people’s reaction is on here