SSN-AUKUS Future Astute Replacement (2030s) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
GarethDavies1
United Kingdom

Re: SSN-AUKUS Future Astute Replacement (2030s) (RN) [News Only]

Post by GarethDavies1 »

and cloaking device

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

matt00773 wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 18:43
Mercator wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:34
matt00773 wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 09:57
Mercator wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 04:13 It does when you consider there are US components in British reactors. Rolls-Royce seems pretty sure so I daresay they have the right of it.
There's no evidence of any US components in British nuclear reactors. Where are you getting this from?

maybe parts of the reactor is too specific. Somewhere in the propulsion plant more generally might be a better way to put it.
This is just someone's Twitter account and their personal viewpoint.

This whole "using US technology" thing is simply from a 1958 technology transfer for submarine knowhow - nuclear engine from US vs. stealth and sonar capability from UK. It would be like saying that every US jet engine has UK technology and components simply because the UK transferred this technology during WWII. It really does get rather tiresome.

No doubt the technology arrangements between US and UK allow for access to sensitive knowhow - and that is a good thing - but the UK as been designing and building nuclear reactors for submarines since the early 1960s.
you read the declassified briefing material at the link and the screenshot thereof, didn't you Matt?

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

The hull form for the Astute is distinctive and is aimed for reducing active acoustic search returns , would if this was found to be effective be copied in the SSN-AUKUS?

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Very nice, let’s have 12.
These users liked the author Poiuytrewq for the post (total 2):
Dobbojedibeeftrix

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

No provision for the carrying of lockout chambers for deployments of u.a.v,s and crews with submersible vessels as per the Astute class , should such a capability be included on the SSN -AUKUS

Dobbo
United Kingdom

Post by Dobbo »

Zeno wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:38 No provision for the carrying of lockout chambers for deployments of u.a.v,s and crews with submersible vessels as per the Astute class , should such a capability be included on the SSN -AUKUS
I’d assume that if the diameter of the hull is equal to dreadnought that the VLS modules would be arranged side by side (say four tubes arranged two by two and one could be used for special forces).

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Dobbo wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 14:03
Zeno wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:38 No provision for the carrying of lockout chambers for deployments of u.a.v,s and crews with submersible vessels as per the Astute class , should such a capability be included on the SSN -AUKUS
I’d assume that if the diameter of the hull is equal to dreadnought that the VLS modules would be arranged side by side (say four tubes arranged two by two and one could be used for special forces).
Yes if they were to use a vrsion of the Columbia\Dreadnought CMC you would think they would be in side by side pairs not in a line. The CMC tubes are 2.2m in diameter and can be filled with a diver lockout\minisub hangar.
These users liked the author tomuk for the post:
jedibeeftrix

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Zeno wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:38s
It's a good point, the addition of the VLS does complicate this requirement.

Carrying a payload on the back will still be a super useful capability, swimmers will always be useful, and now the concept can be extended to the XLUUV. The next gen SSN with its electric propulsion architecture will have plenty of capacity to charge a drone sub, so the ability to sneakily forward deploy and maintain a drone sub should totally be included.
@LandSharkUK

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

A concept diagram shows u.a.v,s launched from torpedo tubes which would always limit the size of the U.A.V, using the vertical launch tube for such also may limit the size and capabilities of task

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

These users liked the author jonas for the post (total 2):
ZenoMercator

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
donald_of_tokyo

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Apparently the expanded alliance is to be called “FUKUS”
These users liked the author SD67 for the post (total 5):
Ron5sunstersunserge750dmereifieldTheLoneRanger

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Investment in new facilities at Barrow.
BAE is planning to construct the Ramsden Dock Facility and has begun the process to obtain planning permission.

The building, which would bring what BAE describes as a pre-paint outfitting facility, would be built on land currently used as a car park.
https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/23523926 ... -shipyard/
These users liked the author Jensy for the post (total 10):
RepulseCaribbeannew guyPoiuytrewqR686Phil RRon5wargame_insomniacSD67serge750

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SD67 wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 11:00 France to join Aukus!
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... e-program/
Oh god no, massive mistake. I don't see a single thing the French could contribute here, their small boats are a totally different beast.

They will delay, procrastinate on every detail and be generally difficult. Absolutely no.

Just in case my position on this is slightly vague..... NO, NO, NO!

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

mrclark303 wrote: 18 May 2023, 08:51
Oh god no, massive mistake. I don't see a single thing the French could contribute here, their small boats are a totally different beast.

They will delay, procrastinate on every detail and be generally difficult. Absolutely no.

Mate - look at the date of the article :-)

The new Partnership to be known as "FUKUS" and as a compromise the boats will be built halfway between Portsmouth and Cherbourg
These users liked the author SD67 for the post (total 2):
donald_of_tokyomrclark303

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SD67 wrote: 18 May 2023, 09:00

Mate - look at the date of the article :-)

The new Partnership to be known as "FUKUS" and as a compromise the boats will be built halfway between Portsmouth and Cherbourg
Oh thank god, in my defense, it was before my morning coffee and my kids had already got my piss boiling!
😂😂
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
Jensy

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

I believe the article linked was posted on the morning of April 1st.....
I assume therefore it is an April Fools joke.

And yess - 6 or so weeks ago this article did have me couging and splutterring whilst drinking my coffee, until I remembered what day it was and breathed a huge sigh of relief!!

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 18 May 2023, 23:33

I believe the article linked was posted on the morning of April 1st.....
I assume therefore it is an April Fools joke.

And yess - 6 or so weeks ago this article did have me couging and splutterring whilst drinking my coffee, until I remembered what day it was and breathed a huge sigh of relief!!
When you know UKDJ and Naval news you get used to it.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Just so that we are not risking being misunderstood you understand (and not FOOLING ABOUT either) ……….. The message Loud and Clear is ………. “NON !, NON !, NON !”. :crazy:

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

News from Australian parliamentary defense budget hearings, from questioninng of Australian Vice Admiral Jonathan Mead, head of the Royal Australian Navy’s Nuclear Powered Submarine Task Force.

Previously reported that RAAN would buy between 3-5 of USN Viginia Class SSNs, before receiving UK designed but locally built Aukus Class SSNs.

Now clarified firstly that of the initial 3 Viginia Class SSNs, two will be second hand but with 20 years+ active service life left, and one will be brand new.

Secondly that RAAN intends to have a fleet of 8*SSNs by 2050's, uncluding BOTH the US Virginia Class and Uk Aukus Class. This would mean a maximum of 5 UK designd but locally built Aukus Class, and potentislly a minimum as low as 3, if RAN purchased the optional additional 2 USN Virginia Class.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/a ... m-u-s-navy

So it likely looks to dash the hopes of those who had optimistic hopes of 20 Aukus Class SSNs being built between UK & Aus, to try to minimis the initial design & developement costs PER BOAT, by spreading them over large number of boats.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/a ... m-u-s-navy
These users liked the author wargame_insomniac for the post (total 2):
serge750donald_of_tokyo

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
TheLoneRanger

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Deleted duplicate

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

What happens after 2050 if the second hand boats arrive in 2032 with 20 years on the clock then by 2052 they run out of life so if the UK design goes ahead in 2040 then they could want /need 7 boats to keep to 8 boats add that to say 10 UK boats and we have 17 or 18

Now do Canada want in on this if so How many boats do they want
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post (total 2):
serge750Jensy

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Tempest414 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 18:23 What happens after 2050 if the second hand boats arrive in 2032 with 20 years on the clock then by 2052 they run out of life so if the UK design goes ahead in 2040 then they could want /need 7 boats to keep to 8 boats add that to say 10 UK boats and we have 17 or 18

It would need a massive volte face for Canada to want in, despite the fact that nuclear makes the most sense for them...

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Tempest414 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 18:23 What happens after 2050 if the second hand boats arrive in 2032 with 20 years on the clock then by 2052 they run out of life so if the UK design goes ahead in 2040 then they could want /need 7 boats to keep to 8 boats add that to say 10 UK boats and we have 17 or 18

I don't think that Canada will join in. More viable units for them, definitely.
Yes, it is thought that the Australians want to have 8 SSN(R) , with them gaining some Virgina class as interim. It is thought that there is meant to be 20 in total, so 12 for the UK. The RN is going to have to get their act together for that to happen though. £24-36-48bn is a lot of money.