New Medium Helicopter [NMH] - (RAF & AAC)

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.

It's February 2024 - Which way is NMH going to go?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Leonardo AW-149
61%
Sikorsky S-70M Black Hawk
22%
Programme cancelled
11%
Airbus H-175M
6%
Boeing MH-139 (back from the dead?)
No votes
Puma kept in service till next-gen
No votes

Total votes: 18

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Re: New Medium Helicopter [NMH] - (RAF & AAC)

Post by Ron5 »

mrclark303 wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 14:13
Ron5 wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 13:29 Three thousand folks from Somerset on line 2.
Tell them to use the prefex 0039 Ron and speak to their employers.

Are we looking for a proper medium helicopter solution, or running an employment agency?

Don't worry, Leonardo will win, of that I have absolutely no doubt as the tail once again wags the dog...
That attitude so last century (see Ajax). Current fashion is nurturing UK industry for the good of all. And hopefully, giving contracts to folks with a track record of producing the same kind of stuff (see WSCP).
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
serge750

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Ron5 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 13:19

Are we looking for a proper medium helicopter solution, or running an employment agency?

Don't worry, Leonardo will win, of that I have absolutely no doubt as the tail once again wags the dog...
That attitude so last century (see Ajax). Current fashion is nurturing UK industry for the good of all. And hopefully, giving contracts to folks with a track record of producing the same kind of stuff (see WSCP).
Another word for nurturing UK ( I think you mean Italian in this instance Ron) defence industry, is shoveling money into a hole in the ground, while the front line struggle on with old equipment, while it's bespoke replaced is years late and massively over budget...

Like I said, tail wagging the dog....

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

sol wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 11:15
mrclark303 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 09:28 The current cost of a bog standard UH-60M, as delivered to the US Army is about $6 million a copy.
I am not sure where do you get this number. For example Croatia is getting 4 UH-60M. Two were donated by US but other two are paid $55 million.
Croatia is set to receive four UH-60M helicopters, with two acquired by the country for HRK360 million (USD55 million) and two donated by the US government.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... lack-hawks

In 2020, US approved a sale of single UH-60M to Jordan for price of $23 million

https://helihub.com/2020/07/10/us-appro ... to-jordan/

So I doubt that it cost is just $6 million a copy. And even if it cost US that much it would cost UK much more, and looking into Croatian order, probably well over $20 million per unit.
Just looking up prices ... Whatever the unit price would be too the UK ( funny how our AH64E was so cheap), it would be an order of magnitude cheaper than AW149, that's guaranteed...

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

mrclark303 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 16:22

Another word for nurturing UK ( I think you mean Italian in this instance Ron) defence industry, is shoveling money into a hole in the ground, while the front line struggle on with old equipment, while it's bespoke replaced is years late and massively over budget...

Who in heck do you think sets those bespoke requirements, or that starts too many programs it can’t afford which means they need to delay and that’s before we look at there infatuation with changing those new-one requirements at the drop of hat.

To then only complain it’s all so bad, to then cancel and go off and buy there “fancy” American kit with a nice jolly thrown in that had none of those bespoke requirements that caused all the problems in the first place.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
Ron5

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 17:19

Who in heck do you think sets those bespoke requirements, or that starts too many programs it can’t afford which means they need to delay and that’s before we look at there infatuation with changing those new-one requirements at the drop of hat.

To then only complain it’s all so bad, to then cancel and go off and buy there “fancy” American kit with a nice jolly thrown in that had none of those bespoke requirements that caused all the problems in the first place.
Totally agree??

The government set ridiculous requirements, generally with a political focus first and the military requirements a firm second.

Fancy American kit, interesting analogy to use with Blackhawk, it's the Transit Builders van of medium Helicopters, proven, reliable and available....

We bought our AH64E's at an absolutely knock down price, so considering we would be buying a similar number of cheaper helicopters off the shelf, why would they suddenly be expensive?? Not following the logic here....

Obviously if you are buying a handful of anything they are more expensive, if we bought 40 'plus' UH60M's , they would be a great unit price I am sure....

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

mrclark303 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 19:18

Totally agree??

The government set ridiculous requirements, generally with a political focus first and the military requirements a firm second.

Fancy American kit, interesting analogy to use with Blackhawk, it's the Transit Builders van of medium Helicopters, proven, reliable and available....

We bought our AH64E's at an absolutely knock down price, so considering we would be buying a similar number of cheaper helicopters off the shelf, why would they suddenly be expensive?? Not following the logic here....

Obviously if you are buying a handful of anything they are more expensive, if we bought 40 'plus' UH60M's , they would be a great unit price I am sure....
Not the government the military set the requirements.

We refurbished existing equipment with Apache. It’s wasn’t some great big special deal. It’s open to considerable question if it was something we should have bought at all.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

mrclark303 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 16:22 ... while it's bespoke replaced is years late and massively over budget...

Are you still talking about NMH? Coz they've only just announced a small delay (admittedly it will probably increase), also how is it "massively over budget" when the winner hasn't been announced yet???

It makes me laugh, people moan about the UK not making anything any more, but if Leo gets mentioned the knives come out...
These users liked the author Little J for the post (total 2):
Ron5serge750

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SW1 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 20:05

Totally agree??

We refurbished existing equipment with Apache. It’s wasn’t some great big special deal. It’s open to considerable question if it was something we should have bought at all.
The Military set thee requirements, then the politicians get involved... It's been this way for many decades.

Let's roll it back to a simple requirement..

Replace the Puma with a new Medium Helicopter, perhaps a place holder for a fancy new tilt rotor in the 2030's.

Do we A, spend a fortune reinventing the wheel, or B, buy proven off the shelf?

To me the answer is obvious, it's B, to the Government it's obvious, it's A.

Why, that's a slightly more nuanced question...
Perhaps to appease the Italians as we enter the vital Tempest programme together...

I've long come to the conclusion that the Government will ( for some reason) just keep the Yeovil factory open no matter what, at any cost.

The last 'British' throw of the dice was Wildcat, a total sales flop and a helicopter that should never have been built. A Rolls Royce helicopter with few sales opportunities due to its eye watering price tag....

Let's not kid ourselves, we don't design or build Helicopters anymore, we assemble Italian Helicopters from supplied parts in an Italian factory... The rest is simply spin...

It's not a 'vital UK capability' that horse has long bolted!

I don't remember the cries of anguish when Honda announced they were closing the plant in Swindon?

By all means let there be a fair competition ( that Leonardo will win) based on capability and a fixed price with severe penalties for missed targets

We aren't talking 6 gen air dominance here, we are talking relatively simple transport helicopters, the Army and RAF want Blackhawk, (have done for years), they just want a known, proven platform to operate alongside Chinook, that can be delivered on time and on budget....

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

mrclark303 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 00:08

Totally agree??

The Military set thee requirements, then the politicians get involved... It's been this way for many decades.

Replace the Puma with a new Medium Helicopter, perhaps a place holder for a fancy new tilt rotor in the 2030's.

Perhaps to appease the Italians as we enter the vital Tempest programme together...

I've long come to the conclusion that the Government will ( for some reason) just keep the Yeovil factory open no matter what, at any cost.

The last 'British' throw of the dice was Wildcat, a total sales flop and a helicopter that should never have been built. A Rolls Royce helicopter with few sales opportunities due to its eye watering price tag....

Let's not kid ourselves, we don't design or build Helicopters anymore, we assemble Italian Helicopters from supplied parts in an Italian factory... The rest is simply spin...

I don't remember the cries of anguish when Honda announced they were closing the plant in Swindon?

By all means let there be a fair competition ( that Leonardo will win) based on capability and a fixed price with severe penalties for missed targets

We aren't talking 6 gen air dominance here, we are talking relatively simple transport helicopters, the Army and RAF want Blackhawk, (have done for years), they just want a known, proven platform to operate alongside Chinook, that can be delivered on time and on budget....
Always cheaper to lay off thousands of UK workers to send money overseas (eyes roll).

Your argument reminds me of the Treasury, knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Ron5 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 13:25

Totally agree??

Always cheaper to lay off thousands of UK workers to send money overseas (eyes roll).

Your argument reminds me of the Treasury, knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Eyes roll at the usual rolled out argument Ron, hmmm, as said not a problem with Honda closing its Swindon plant laying off thousands, is there a difference???

Back when we ordered the AH64D, it was considered vital to keep the factory going and to tinker with the design at enormous expense to the tax payer...

One of the arguments was your tired old trot out line Ron "but what of the workers" ....

Interestingly, it would actually have been cheaper to buy Apache off the shelf and a give every single worker a million pounds redundancy!

To be fair, back then, Westlands was still in the design and manufacturing of helicopters business, so a strategic asset...

Today it's totally foreign owned, with no organic design capability, it's basically a Leonardo assembly plant...

Anymore 'tag' lines to share Ron....🥱

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I know that the Seahawk helicopter comes with folding rotor blades and has maritime protection, would it make sense to buy some of these rather than the Blackhawk, Could then be used off maritime assets as well as land.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

mrclark303 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 14:04

Totally agree??

Eyes roll at the usual rolled out argument Ron, hmmm, as said not a problem with Honda closing its Swindon plant laying off thousands, is there a difference???
Is Honda considered a UK Defence contractor??

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 18:53
mrclark303 wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 14:04

Totally agree??

Is Honda considered a UK Defence contractor??
Well, I'm hearing a lot about jobs, already established they aren't a key UK strategic industry anymore as they A arn't a British company in any way.
and B design nothing anymore, just assemble shipped in parts kits.

Just another factory, it might sound callous, but really no different from Honda shutting up shop.

Perhaps if Sikorski opened a factory in the UK and we re-engined the UH60 and perhaps moved the rotor three inches back, thus quadrupling the price, the UK defence 'traditionalists' among us will be more sympathetic to it.😂😂

sol
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Post by sol »

Maybe someone find it interesting. Two part article about AW149 protection

https://uk.leonardo.com/en/news-and-sto ... eld-part-1
These users liked the author sol for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacRon5

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Sikorsky will reveal NMH production plans once requirements have firmed up:
https://breakingdefense.com/2023/06/sik ... set/?amp=1
Translation: UK production is on the table if they need to have it to win.
These users liked the author Halidon for the post (total 2):
Jensymrclark303

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Halidon wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 00:54 Sikorsky will reveal NMH production plans once requirements have firmed up:
Program appears to be a dead man walking.
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
Jensy

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Ron5 wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 14:15
Halidon wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 00:54 Sikorsky will reveal NMH production plans once requirements have firmed up:
Definite whiff of death about it.

I have a sneaking suspicion the 14 Chinooks ordered in 2021 (due to be delivered in 2026) will be presented as an increase in vertical lift as we retire nine of the oldest. Likely with more gone before 2026,

Pumas will be run on as long as possible. Possibly past 2028.

NMH to be taken behind the woodshed with a shotgun... Yeovil MP makes an inspiring speech about the glory days of Westland to an audience of two dozen in the Commons.

The big question is how on earth are we going to pay for all the kit that's being planned for the 2030s?
These users liked the author Jensy for the post:
Ron5

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Jensy wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 01:23

I have a sneaking suspicion the 14 Chinooks ordered in 2021 (due to be delivered in 2026) will be presented as an increase in vertical lift as we retire nine of the oldest. Likely with more gone before 2026,

NMH to be taken behind the woodshed with a shotgun... Yeovil MP makes an inspiring speech about the glory days of Westland to an audience of two dozen in the Commons.

The big question is how on earth are we going to pay for all the kit that's being planned for the 2030s?

I'm getting the same thoughts, it's being kicked into the long grass for the SDSR in 2025 to mull over....

I suspect Leanado to win in the end, unless we just lease a small fleet of medium helos, or perhaps a mix, they spin a small additional Chinook order as the Puma replacement and lease some twin Hueys for the ancillary roles.
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
Jensy

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Jensy wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 01:23

You make a good point, I see no hope for any force expansion in the 2030's as the cost of the all singing all dancing next generation equipment will be so high it will absorb any additional funding.

Especially as the MOD insists on gold plating everything, this together with a drive to ensure UK manufacturing, (or at least assembly) of the various ongoing and future competitions, will drive procurement prices through the roof.

I simply don't buy into the view of UK manufacturing draws expenditure back into UK coffers, (it might do), but those coffers are separate from the MOD budget, so your defence budget buys you less and less and the military continue to contract in an ever decreasing death spiral....

It's what happens when the tail wags the dog!

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

mrclark303 wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 15:32 I simply don't buy into the view of UK manufacturing draws expenditure back into UK coffers, (it might do), but those coffers are separate from the MOD budget, so your defence budget buys you less and less and the military continue to contract in an ever decreasing death spiral....
If the MoD budget is based on being a percentage of GDP and GDP goes up, what do you think will happen to the MoD budget?
These users liked the author mr.fred for the post (total 2):
SW1serge750

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

mr.fred wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 18:15
mrclark303 wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 15:32 I simply don't buy into the view of UK manufacturing draws expenditure back into UK coffers, (it might do), but those coffers are separate from the MOD budget, so your defence budget buys you less and less and the military continue to contract in an ever decreasing death spiral....
If the MoD budget is based on being a percentage of GDP and GDP goes up, what do you think will happen to the MoD budget?
'If' is doing a lot of work in that sentence.
These users liked the author topman for the post:
mrclark303

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Interesting take on it, now look a little further, the actual 'effect' on GDP from defence related UK procurement is massively less than the drain on the actual defence budget driven by that politically driven policy.

You actually support tail wagging the dog procurement?

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

mrclark303 wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 02:14
Interesting take on it, now look a little further, the actual 'effect' on GDP from defence related UK procurement is massively less than the drain on the actual defence budget driven by that politically driven policy.

You actually support tail wagging the dog procurement?
I think there needs to be a balance on the one hand I really can't support needlessly spaffing money away on wholly home grown bespoke equipment\programmes for the sake of 'UK jobs' etc but I'm also very much against spaffing money away on US made equipment FMS style where we get no benefit of the wages, taxes or profits generated by the purchase.

There should be some offset whether that be directly as in the programme F35 style where BAE, Rolls and others are in the supply chain or on unrelated item ie we buy £1bn of armoured vehicles they buy £250m of missiles for example.
These users liked the author tomuk for the post (total 3):
Little Jmrclark303wargame_insomniac

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

We do need to support industry to some degree, otherwise they won't be there to support the "bloke in a shed" when he comes up with a world beating idea. If we don't, eventually we'll be getting everything from the Yanks. But, then that might suit some people.
These users liked the author Little J for the post:
serge750

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 07:58 We do need to support industry to some degree, otherwise they won't be there to support the "bloke in a shed" when he comes up with a world beating idea. If we don't, eventually we'll be getting everything from the Yanks. But, then that might suit some people.
I agree, but that support should come from the department of Trade and industry ( or whatever they call themselves now), not bleeding away the defence budget on it.

I know I keep going back to it, but Wildcat is a perfect example of throwing money away on a helicopter project with little to no prospect of export.

Such tail wagging the dog procurement is entirely politically driven and just hemorrhages money away.

There's a very good reason we actually have a relitivly healthy defence budget, but seem to be in an endless cycle of contraction.