Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Jake1992
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by Jake1992 »

Ron5 wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 15:57 I'd guess a helicopter based system will replace Crowsnest. Maybe unmanned. Probably a derivative of the Merlin ASW replacement. But a couple of decades away at the earliest.
Why a helicopter based system especially if it’s unmanaged ?
One of the most important factors of ship based AEW is the altitude they can get to ( higher they can go further they can see ), when we look at what’s already here we have most helos max is around 16,000ft, Hawk eyes max is around 32,000ft and the V-247 is meant to have a max of around 25,000.

Hawkeyes not an option too big too heavy but why choose a helo option even unmanned ( they’re not going to suddenly have much great max ) over the incoming unmanned tilt rotors look at over 50% extra ??

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

V-247 would appear to be the best option. Maybe we should start getting involved in it's development now?

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

:D NA the best current option would be E2 Hawkeye :D "but computer ( gov ) says no" :D :mrgreen: sorry had to...seriously though the V 280 type or a STOL with a heigher service ceiling has got be on the cards......
These users liked the author serge750 for the post:
Little J

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Looks good.

These users liked the author Little J for the post (total 6):
PhillyJSKBRon5donald_of_tokyohopperserge750

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Jake1992 wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 16:15
Ron5 wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 15:57 I'd guess a helicopter based system will replace Crowsnest. Maybe unmanned. Probably a derivative of the Merlin ASW replacement. But a couple of decades away at the earliest.
One of the most important factors of ship based AEW is the altitude they can get to ( higher they can go further they can see ), when we look at what’s already here we have most helos max is around 16,000ft, Hawk eyes max is around 32,000ft and the V-247 is meant to have a max of around 25,000.

Hawkeyes not an option too big too heavy but why choose a helo option even unmanned ( they’re not going to suddenly have much great max ) over the incoming unmanned tilt rotors look at over 50% extra ??
Sorry, missed your question from the other day.

Three answers,

1) I include tilt rotors in my definition of a helicopter. I thought everybody did?

2) I can't see the RN funding the development of a brand new airborne AEW for the 3 or 4 that it would order. I also don't see any other country developing one that can be flown off a STOVL carrier

3) The same financial/operational logic that had them ending up with Merlin Crowsnest will still be valid when Merlin gets replaced, hence my suggestion of Merlin-replacement Crowsnest

Yes, I know the RN have a slide showing an unmanned winged AEW in their future but that's just a slide right now as far as we know.

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Ron5 wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 13:59

Three answers,

1) I include tilt rotors in my definition of a helicopter. I thought everybody did?

2) I can't see the RN funding the development of a brand new airborne AEW for the 3 or 4 that it would order. I also don't see any other country developing one that can be flown off a STOVL carrier

3) The same financial/operational logic that had them ending up with Merlin Crowsnest will still be valid when Merlin gets replaced, hence my suggestion of Merlin-replacement Crowsnest

Yes, I know the RN have a slide showing an unmanned winged AEW in their future but that's just a slide right now as far as we know.
That’s quite alright we’ve all missed stuff before -

1 - I had the opposite thinking to you on that thinking most separated them in to individual categories.

2 - this is where as often I come back to the V-247, one of the vairients is an AEW version. With the USMC supposedly once again restarting their interest and persuit of the aircraft we wouldn’t have to fund it alone. I do believe we’d need closer 10 or so AEW replacement to really allow 24/7 cover to both carriers when needed and cover potential lose.

3 - with the USMC once again opting for V-247 and the other variants they have that could be of interest and use to us such as the attack version which would give any ship with a Merlin sized hanger a protector style capability or the electronic warfare version which offers the carriers a capability they lack at the moment. These options along with the coast being driven down by the USMC could change thinking around this.
These users liked the author Jake1992 for the post (total 3):
wargame_insomniacRon5Dahedd

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Jake1992 wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 18:59
Ron5 wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 13:59

Three answers,

That’s quite alright we’ve all missed stuff before -

1 - I had the opposite thinking to you on that thinking most separated them in to individual categories.

2 - this is where as often I come back to the V-247, one of the vairients is an AEW version. With the USMC supposedly once again restarting their interest and persuit of the aircraft we wouldn’t have to fund it alone. I do believe we’d need closer 10 or so AEW replacement to really allow 24/7 cover to both carriers when needed and cover potential lose.

3 - with the USMC once again opting for V-247 and the other variants they have that could be of interest and use to us such as the attack version which would give any ship with a Merlin sized hanger a protector style capability or the electronic warfare version which offers the carriers a capability they lack at the moment. These options along with the coast being driven down by the USMC could change thinking around this.
Absolutely, the USMC developing such an aircraft would be a game changer for the RN.

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Or, how much are we spending on Wedgetail, How much has Crowsnest cost, How much does a Hawkeye cost, and how much would it have actually cost to put a single waist steam cat and arrestor gear on QE class.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Some of the fantasy pish that gets poasted here is unreal!
These users liked the author downsizer for the post (total 3):
jimtheladhovematlotNimonic

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Zeno wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 00:26 Is this a practical solution for the carriers with Sky Guardians?
https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/sk ... 09.article
https://www.ga-asi.com/a-new-short-fiel ... mq-9b-stol
No.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Good article on PWLS in the Times about her recent battles.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbf0 ... 3cbf187e8f
These users liked the author bobp for the post:
PhillyJ

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

What is noticeable in all of these articles is how little discussion there has been as to who was responsible for the defective pipework and shaft coupling.

Criticising the RN for something they had no control over is perverse and like blaming the victim.

Someone must know which of the Aircraft Carrier Alliance partners/sub-contractors built/assembled the kit that failed but no-one has named and shamed them.

Let's just hope that the contract allowed the MOD to claim compensation. Even if it did you can't put a price on bad PR, damage to sailors' careers and disruption to defence planning.
These users liked the author Bring Deeps for the post (total 2):
R686PhillyJ

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 2):
serge750wargame_insomniac

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

bobp wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 08:50 Good article on PWLS in the Times about her recent battles.

Indeed, initial intro a bit misleading as it suggests she has been in situ for all the 3 years, she has done some sea mileage.

However, nipper will be home soonish, though we are planning on him being back in bonny Scotland when it's warmer this year again.
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 2):
serge750bobp

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Dockyard sources told The Times that it would be fixed and back on the water in a matter of weeks, by the end of February, but it was then due to undergo “months” of maintenance work about 500 miles away in Portsmouth.
From the article.

Part of me wonders if a small deployment to the med would help shake off criticisms and build some confidence before she went in for the "Months of Maintenance" but I suspect delays to the Maintenance would be just as damning. :problem:
These users liked the author Jdam for the post (total 4):
serge750Scimitar54PoiuytrewqRon5

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Deleted because video removed from YouTube

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

PhillyJ wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 20:15
bobp wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 08:50 Good article on PWLS in the Times about her recent battles.

Indeed, initial intro a bit misleading as it suggests she has been in situ for all the 3 years, she has done some sea mileage.

However, nipper will be home soonish, though we are planning on him being back in bonny Scotland when it's warmer this year again.
Warmer at home or in Scotland? Two very different things :D
These users liked the author Ron5 for the post:
PhillyJ

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

QNLZ off out late afternoon today, rumours she has been fitted with a tow bar to drag PWLS back to port are unconfirmed by the MOD. :shh:
Screenshot_20230129-130134.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author PhillyJ for the post (total 2):
Ron5serge750

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Off for a months training
These users liked the author bobp for the post (total 2):
Ron5serge750

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(@HMSQNLZ) 29th January 2023
What a sight! Spectacular Spinnaker in full view as we exit Portsmouth Harbour. Farewell Portsmouth - see you again soon!

(Forces News) 30th January 2023
The flagship of the Royal Navy has embarked on a "routine exercise and routine training", according to Navy bosses. Despite her leaving after dark, hundreds of well-wishers turned up and lined up along the walls to see her off.
These users liked the author SKB for the post:
serge750

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Boats away
Ron5

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

HMS Prince of Wales Had two faulty couplings..................

PhillyJ

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

bobp wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 16:03 HMS Prince of Wales Had two faulty couplings..................

Indeed, nipper was expecting to be back up in Rosyth not long after returning to Pompey once the starboard shaft was fixed.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Meeting of defence select committee discussing navy programs including PWLS

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... a16953ae4e