Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

tomuk
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by tomuk »

Digger22 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 12:20
Jdam wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 21:32 I asked the same question, see response below.
Current thinking says moving them about on Self-Propelled Modular Transporters SPMTs and then lowering them into the water on boat lifts or submersible barges is preferable saving on the maintenance and logistic issues of maintaining and working in a dock.

I would have thought a dry dock would give more options moving forward, especially T26 refits, as the Devonport Frigate Facility is too small.
Hey Ho.
How are you going to build the rest of the T26, T83 maybe even the T32s if your using your build dock to do refits? Work will be needed at Devonport.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

You might need the extra headroom permitted by building in a dry dock to clear the upper works of the T83, to allow a really high mainmast for mounting it’s Radar ? Unless this has been adequately allowed for, it may not prove possible to “raise the roof” later on. :mrgreen:

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

You crane the mast on towards the end of build once the ship is outside. You can see this in the T31 and Hunter build videos. You don't need an extra tall shed.

On T45, Daring was launched at Scotstoun only built up to bridge roof height everything else was added later. Whereas her sisters were launched from Govan after the main mast and aft funnel were craned on while on the slip.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Principle still applies, I was just illustrating ONE possibility! Required Bridge Deck-head height COULD cause a problem in a similar way. Also, any and indeed all work CAN be carried out outside. However, if you think that this would be desirable, then there would be no incentive to construct a covered build facility at all. :mrgreen:

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

Digger22 wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 12:20
Jdam wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 21:32 I asked the same question, see response below.
Current thinking says moving them about on Self-Propelled Modular Transporters SPMTs and then lowering them into the water on boat lifts or submersible barges is preferable saving on the maintenance and logistic issues of maintaining and working in a dock.

I would have thought a dry dock would give more options moving forward, especially T26 refits, as the Devonport Frigate Facility is too small.
Hey Ho.
Well the T45 PIP is currently being done at Birkenhead and Portsmouth, and it involves drydocking, I'd assume if needed a T26 refit would follow the same approach.
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
Jensy

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Scimitar54 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 11:38 Principle still applies, I was just illustrating ONE possibility! Required Bridge Deck-head height COULD cause a problem in a similar way. Also, any and indeed all work CAN be carried out outside. However, if you think that this would be desirable, then there would be no incentive to construct a covered build facility at all. :mrgreen:
The principle doesn't apply, fitting the mainmast outside is a tiny percentage of the overall work done inside. To waste money building an extra high shed to allow you to the fit the mainmast inside is ridiculous as by that point in the build the ship will only be in the shed for a sort time anyway.

Here is a 'stumpy' T31 on the hardstanding awaiting her mast

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

You yourself have just agreed with my point! The “Shed” would not need to be so high, if the ships being built were either at or around (water level) rather than having to be some 10 Metres higher,
The further consideration is, that it is necessary to build it bigger than is needed for T26, unless you want it to become just another example of the “short term-ism” which has characterised the building of UK defence infrastructure for far too long, together with it’s knock-on effects that will likely affect future vessels. :mrgreen:

zavve
Sweden

Post by zavve »

SD67 wrote: 16 Sep 2022, 11:53 Well the T45 PIP is currently being done at Birkenhead and Portsmouth, and it involves drydocking, I'd assume if needed a T26 refit would follow the same approach.
Portsmouth has enough drydocks capable of taking either the T45 or T31. The real issue is Devonport, if the T26 is going to be based there then the infrastructure needs to be capable of doing maintenance "in-house". Imo the RN needs to build a new QEC drydock in Portsmouth and some new T26 drydocks in Devonport. These updates plus the Devonport dock 10 upgrade will secure the maintenance of the royal navy. Birkenhead should instead handle RFA refits and build the FSS.

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

I thought the dry docking contract for the carriers had already gone to Rosyth

Bongodog
United Kingdom

Post by Bongodog »

SD67 wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 14:52 I thought the dry docking contract for the carriers had already gone to Rosyth
I'm sure it has, but surely not for the entire 50 year life of the carriers. We now have the situation where the only UK dry docks large enough are in Scotland and Belfast, the Rosyth dock is very dependent on tides and a long way from the carriers home., and Belfast presently has very little engineering support available. If as an example Portsmouth had been provided with a dock POW could have been docked down within 24 hours of her troubles commencing and might possibly have been repaired by now.
These users liked the author Bongodog for the post (total 2):
Scimitar54hopper

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

A bit less welding tents on here, not sure she will be lowered into the water any time soon.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Enlarged:

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Is that HMS Magpie in the foreground?
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post:
SKB
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Well, she IS one of His Majesty’s Ships, With little or no breeze, it is not easy to see the White Ensign, but it is just visible.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Future HMS Glasgow, the eventual complement of 161 Royal Navy personnel..

Yet another increase of about 10, from said about 150. No surprise. T23 went the same road.

And, T31 surely will :thumbup:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-gla ... irst-time/

xav

Post by xav »

BAE Systems Progresses Type 26 Frigate Programme
Story by Richard Scott:
BAE Systems Naval Ships is preparing to ‘float off’ the first of the UK Royal Navy’s new Type 26 frigates at the end of this year.

The future HMS Glasgow is currently fitting out on a hardstanding at the company’s Govan shipyard in the west end of Glasgow. The semi-submersible barge that will be used to carry the ship down the River Clyde arrived at the yard last month.

Naval News understand that the float off operation is scheduled to occur in December. Glasgow will be driven onto the barge, which will then be moved down river to a deep-water area of the Clyde estuary to dock down, allowing the ship to be floated off.
https://www.navalnews.com/event-news/eu ... programme/
These users liked the author xav for the post (total 5):
Jdamdonald_of_tokyoJohnMserge750wargame_insomniac

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Interesting movie. At least, up to now, I cannot identify any big difference from information we already know. In other words, the CGI distributed 2-3 years ago had a good enough details, look like.

These users liked the author donald_of_tokyo for the post:
serge750

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

donald_of_tokyo wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 15:55 Future HMS Glasgow, the eventual complement of 161 Royal Navy personnel..

Yet another increase of about 10, from said about 150. No surprise. T23 went the same road.

And, T31 surely will :thumbup:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-gla ... irst-time/
It's difficult to be definitive about such statements. During design and selection, the architects will list the minimum number to operate the ship, usually leaving out such numbers as the flight detail because that depends on the type and number of aircraft embarked, the EMF because that is mission dependent, trainees and contingency for injury and illness. Later these are added back in by the Navy and the outside world sees an increase that isn't really there.

On the other hand: LCS, Iver Huitfeldt's, and French FREMMs, have been variously reported to have had a real increase in complements after entering service.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

These users liked the author SKB for the post (total 2):
donald_of_tokyobobp

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

Looking good ahead of the upcoming launch.
m56gz1.jpg
-7pksbf.jpg
b4ifgf.jpg
z4cxjd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users liked the author imperialman for the post (total 4):
bobpRon5donald_of_tokyoserge750

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I see a lot of scaffolding has come down so hopefully we will see her moved soon.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

I assume you meant “Has been taken down”, as I would not have wanted to be working under it, if it “Had come down”! :lol:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I did :crazy: :clap:

tomuk
United Kingdom

Post by tomuk »

Looking at the picks the covering/tarps look to have been blown off rather than removed carefully.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

HMS Glasgow, beautiful.

see twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1587136466857197569