Australian Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Mercator
Australia

Re: Australian Defence Force

Post by Mercator »

These users liked the author Mercator for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Mercator wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 05:23
how many of these would fit in a LHD dock what is there top speed loaded and unloaded

inch

Post by inch »

Who else thinks that the AUKUS sub deal will end up with the new labour government going cap in hand and getting France to build barracuda shortfin subs saying its a interim solution and will give Australia more time to get into either new future RN sub design or future USN design in the 2040s timeframe ,mark my words I said it first lol

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

I would have said that it is more likely that Trenchant and Talent are commissioned into the Australian Navy, than that Oz goes cap in hand to the French
These users liked the author Caribbean for the post (total 3):
MercatorScimitar54wargame_insomniac
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Caribbean wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 23:11 I would have said that it is more likely that Trenchant and Talent are commissioned into the Australian Navy, than that Oz goes cap in hand to the French

Cant see that happening unless the crew follow suit, mmmm.....live in Plymouth or Perth?

inch

Post by inch »

How much life could Talent and Trenchant have left in them ,or should I say soldier on for if needed?

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

I’d imagine the cost of keeping these active would be prohibitive. However, not sure if there is value in keeping one alongside for static training?
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Though I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it did occur to me that they might be quite useful in the training role. There is plenty to be gained from simply practicing processes and procedures while tied up at the dockside. Presumably the principles of reactor management are similar, regardless of the actual reactor design? The fact that Australian personnel are training in the UK would tend to support that idea.

Keeping one active would be expensive, I agree, however it may be technically possible as they would only be undertaking short training sorties and wouldn't need to push the envelope on dive depths, etc. Wasn't one of the subs retired rather early, which would imply that there might be life left in it yet?

Presumably, if that were ever to happen, the Australian Government would be footing the bill.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

I have said before that Australia should acquire one or both of Talent / Trenchant, or one or two of the USN Los Angeles Class.

They are not as capable as either the Astute or Virginia Class SSN's but would start the process of RAN learning the ins and outs of nuclear subs. I believe Talent is a year younger. Even if they used Trenchant as a static training boat and used Talent at sea, they will start to accumulate some of the needed crew experience and skills whilst also building up from zero a whole new logistics chain.

I don't yet think it has been announced whether RAN will be acquiring SSN based on Astute or Virginia Classes. BAE Barrow will have no capacity now they are starting on the Dreadnought SSBN's. And i imagine that it would be difficult for Australian shipyards would be able to build SSN's from scratch.

So I am assuming that it would likely to be Virginia Class. Maybe building the first two in US with participation from Australian shipyards so they learn from US. That to me is the most likely way that RAN gets these SSN'S in a suitable timescale.
These users liked the author wargame_insomniac for the post:
Mercator

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

wargame_insomniac

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

That's good to know as it was concerning how long both RAN and RCN variants of T26 were taking before even beginning construction. Was concerned that may end up ordering fewer ships, thus spreading costs over a smaller number.

Lower down in that abc.net article I was interested to read the following quotes:

Australians begin training on Royal Navy nuclear-powered submarines

With Australia working towards acquiring nuclear-powered submarines under the AUKUS partnership, the UK Defence Chief flagged increased cooperation and training with the Royal Navy, as well as more frequent visits by British nuclear-powered submarines.

"We've always had a strong relationship between our two countries, or two militaries, and especially our two navies," he said.

Admiral Radakin also revealed that Royal Australian Navy personnel have travelled to the UK to begin training onboard the Royal Navy's nuclear-powered submarines.

"Australian submariners are coming to Europe to experience a nuclear submarine and how we go about that, our capabilities and our tactics in the North Atlantic, all as part of this learning process," he said.
These users liked the author wargame_insomniac for the post:
Mercator

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

Its not just R.A.N crews training on R.N submarines but U.S submarines to
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... nterparts/

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Great video on youtube of USMC MV-22's operating from forward and rear spots on RAN Canberra at RIMPAC 22

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Mercator wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 05:58 Limited info on this one, but it looks interesting:

Canberra-based company CEA Technologies is building four new Air Defence radars as part of the Australian Government’s $2.7 billion investment in Defence’s new Joint Air Battle Management System. https://www.minister.defence.gov.au/min ... ir-defence
Still limited info on the numbers, types and purpose of the various radars being produced under this program, but some of the pictures coming out look very interesting:

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Tempest414 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 11:58 Great video on youtube of USMC MV-22's operating from forward and rear spots on RAN Canberra at RIMPAC 22

These users liked the author Mercator for the post (total 2):
R686wargame_insomniac

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

https://www.biddingsource.com/tenders/4707856

According to this they might have new JATC controller aircraft for the RAAF, I'm not subscribed to the process but another source the requirements are for it to have;

Full Link 16 Tactical Data Link
Secure Voice Communications
Video Down Link
Laser Target designation
Ability to deliver live high explosive ordnance.
Aircraft must be fully certified to STANAG requirements

Then today I saw this which is replacing the Pilatus U-28A in the US and i know that the RAAF are currently using Pilatus PC-21 then I thought I wonder if someone has been having a watching brief over it with the AT-802U Sky Warden being looked at in numbers for both No 4 Squadron and Army to support SOCOMD

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-wing ... 00.article

Found this also

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/m ... ch-mission

I remember there was a requirement for a light helicopter for SOCOMD which i think has been dropped obviouly a diffrent role but this looks interesting for SASR

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Electric Bushmaster technology demonstrator unveiled

http://images.defence.gov.au/S20222508

There is a blurb that goes with it:
https://www.minister.defence.gov.au/min ... goes-green

“We have seen great success with Australian designed and built vehicles keeping personnel safe under fire and the new ePMV represents the next innovative stage in that tradition,” Assistant Minister Thistlethwaite said.

“This ePMV brings the benefits of electric vehicles to the battlefield, particularly being quieter than its combustion counterparts, and I look forward to seeing it perform in field trials.”

The ePMV is being showcased at the Chief of Army Symposium, a three day event bringing together Australian-led technology, industry partnerships and innovation.
serge750

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

It seems the R.A.N has got some interesting capabilities being developed for its various naval platforms
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... er-vehicle
https://c2robotics.com.au/products/speartooth/
These users liked the author Zeno for the post (total 2):
Mercatorwargame_insomniac

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

I wouldn't read too much into this at this point – lots of these things never go anywhere, and a few shouldn't – but no one is being shy about the hard stuff, at least.

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Further:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Xchange 4a couple of nuke subs..... :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Australia secures [US] approval for Black Hawk acquisition
https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/land- ... cquisition

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has announced the approval of a proposed foreign military sale of 40 Sikorsky-built UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters and related equipment to the Australian Army, valued at approximately US$1.95 billion (AU$2.79 billion).

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 02:03 Australia secures [US] approval for Black Hawk acquisition
https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/land- ... cquisition

The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has announced the approval of a proposed foreign military sale of 40 Sikorsky-built UH-60M Black Hawk helicopters and related equipment to the Australian Army, valued at approximately US$1.95 billion (AU$2.79 billion).
Time will tell if we still get them under the the ALP defence review. I think the ALP will set the defence budget at the arbitrary 2% level which is inadequate going forward

I am very skeptical that the ADF modernization will happen or in number that are just far to small to have any meaningful effect, will the scuttle bug once again leaving Army underfunded to make way for the big ticket items in RAN/RAAF

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Yeah, I don't imagine there is an appetite to take on even more debt and raise it above 2%, at least immediately. I think it's politically unpalatable for them to go below 2%, but yes they could definitely cut some controversial areas to fund 'signature' acquisitions. I'd be worried if I was Army – though I think the IFV project is far enough down the track to survive (and there is a big political constituency in VIC or QLD that would be pissed if it went away). But the numbers could be cut.

I think it's possible they could sign up to something ambitious that takes the funding level above 2% in a significant way, but only if it was far enough in the future that they didn't have to budget for it in, say, the next two election cycles (> six years). That's what the coalition did with the nuclear submarines, after all. In fact I'd rate this little stunt as so successful for the coalition that I'm almost certain the ALP will try at some point. It's an easy Hail Mary pass when you're struggling in the polls. Maybe not now, but eventually. It's how we got the NDIS. Maybe the Brisbane naval port will get dusted off again. Who knows.