Future UK Combat Aircraft (Project Tempest)

Contains threads on Royal Air Force equipment of the past, present and future.
SW1
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 234 times
United Kingdom

Re: Future UK Combat Aircraft (Project Tempest)

Post by SW1 »

You never know bae may even get round to using the latest cad system on it, unlike jsf lagging a generation behind everyone else…

Not that many left under 50 in the technical engineering fields across the board anymore.

They’ve had the agency’s hounding people to come back on tempest since end of last year as not many want to go back.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
SD67

motiv
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times
United Kingdom

Post by motiv »

Caribbean wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 13:42 It would certainly seem like a good idea to team up with some academic institutions. There are a lot of good Universities in the North
I suspect they will have talks with UCLAN. It's always been a uni/poly that many left to join BAE.

Caribbean
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 30 times
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Can’t disagree with that as a choice, my daughter did her MA there
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

mrclark303
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

matt00773 wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 09:32
inch wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 09:24 Does anybody think the US will try to scupper the tempest program somehow,ie offer Japan a deal it can't ignore or try to Syphon off Italy or Sweden ,or offer Sweden/ Italy back door deals for them not too let Japan join tempest program ,or is it just me being v clinical after reading what matt00773 post ,if America can scrap or disable the opposition and leave them top dog why wouldn't they ,or try get all the knowledge and tech from tempest but not offer much in return except future promises ,,I don't know why but I feel somewhere down the line forces will try blunt tempest program unfortunately
I think this is highly doubtful. It's in US best interests to have allies with comparable technology into the future where there's increasing pressure from China (at least) and the need to work together ever more closely - and to react with equal capability. The AUKUS pact is a part of this and even mentioned by the attaché in the article. Exchanging technology knowhow would be beneficial to both sides if it indeed goes ahead.
For me, any potential US involvement in the Tempest programme is a red flag.

It would bring far too many strings, such as US vetoes on potential exports.

No, keep the whole programme separate from US Gen6 efforts.

A potential team up of the UK, Japan, Sweden and Italy are certainly capable of producing a system equally capable to anything Uncle Sam can produce .... Providing sufficient money is forthcoming of course!

SD67
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 46 times
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

I remember at at Barrow they had these joint MOD / BAE posters up stressing confidentiality : "NO confidential discussions with Foreign Nationals! - EVEN AMERICANS"
These users liked the author SD67 for the post:
wargame_insomniac

mrclark303
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SD67 wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 13:30 I remember at at Barrow they had these joint MOD / BAE posters up stressing confidentiality : "NO confidential discussions with Foreign Nationals! - EVEN AMERICANS"
Sums it up nicely!

Lord Jim
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 296 times
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I cannot see any issue with having an options list of US equipment for Tempest, especially if they pay for the majority of the integration work. This may improve its export potential to customers who already use certain US systems or weapons, but the platform would also be available without any US involvement. I cannot see the US really wanting to have a major role in the core platform as it is already developing a 6th Gen air dominance platform with possibly secondry air to ground capabilities, plus the F-35 will still be in production.
These users liked the author Lord Jim for the post:
Jensy