M777 Portee DVD 2016

Contains threads on British Army equipment of the past, present and future.
Gabriele
Italy

Re: M777 Portee DVD 2016

Post by Gabriele »

If it was that easy to make a working 155mm lighter than the M777, they would do it. Everyone would like to buy such a thing. But at the moment it is not really feasible: M777 is the lightest 155mm there is, and that's why people buy it. It is either it or an autocannon like CAESAR (or ideally the self-propelled Archer), unless the Royal Artillery ends up wasting ten years pursuing "medium weight" alternatives to the 155mm that will end up as disasterous as FRES and as uniquely bespoke as the rifled gun on Challenger 2.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

marktigger wrote:
possibly because there is something about it [the M777] the Gunners don't like or they would be clamouring to buy it?
Maybe because it's a towed 155mm and therefore a pain in the arse to deal with on account of the size of the gun and the ammunition?

Perhaps if someone used the ordnance to make a lightweight self-propelled gun?

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

First video confirming the presence of the M777 in Ukrainian Army service possible in training area
These users liked the author leonard for the post:
Jdam

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

We can say for sure that M777 is now clearly heading for the front in the East

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

Video of the training that the Ukranian Army is having in Germany with the M777 .

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Of all the NATO heavy weaponry we could supply, 155mm Guns are the easiest choice as NATO has large stockpiles of the more standard ammunition types for starters. Ukraine is ending up with a multitude of platform from the state of the Art PzHb2000 from the Dutch and Caesar from France to M109s of various types from nations like Belgium and Austria. And then there is the M777 and I would be surprised if Italy also offered some of its older FH-70. Does Germany have any of these in storage as well? These would replace some of the oldest 152mm Guns in service though initially complimenting them. Radars like Fire Finder are going to be crucial especially when combined with UAS. What they could really use is GMLRS to work with these. As is the limited number of Excalibur rounds believed to have been shipped to Ukraine with the M777s will have to suffice for rapid precision strikes whilst shooting a scooting. The MRSI capability of the ex Dutch PzHb2000s will be a nasty shock for Russian units as well.

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

First video of the M777 directly being used by the Ukranian Army on the frontlines.

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

I have a question for everybody hwo has any knowledge if the situation of the war in Ukraine makes a priority to restart the production of the M777 howitzer is the Bae Systems factory in capacity to respond to the new situation or even the M777 howitzer is now under the banner of the RBLS partnership ???

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

leonard wrote: 09 May 2022, 16:33 I have a question for everybody hwo has any knowledge if the situation of the war in Ukraine makes a priority to restart the production of the M777 howitzer is the Bae Systems factory in capacity to respond to the new situation or even the M777 howitzer is now under the banner of the RBLS partnership ???
No, M777 is a BAE Global Combat Systems.

I expect new units could be made in UK or in the new India plant.
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post:
leonard

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

leonard wrote: 09 May 2022, 16:33 I have a question for everybody hwo has any knowledge if the situation of the war in Ukraine makes a priority to restart the production of the M777 howitzer is the Bae Systems factory in capacity to respond to the new situation or even the M777 howitzer is now under the banner of the RBLS partnership ???
Some parts for M777 are made in the UK at Barrow in Furness, but the main production line is in the USA (thats what happens when you develop something and never order it yourself...).

Will be interesting to see if any new orders are forthcoming for it as they could order the new M777ER with 58cal barrel. That extends range up to 70km... Canada have said they will replenish their stockpile following their supply of 4 guns to Ukraine, I suspect Australia will as well. But those are likely to come from USMC stocks.
These users liked the author Timmymagic for the post:
leonard

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Timmymagic wrote: 09 May 2022, 18:06
Some parts for M777 are made in the UK at Barrow in Furness, but the main production line is in the USA (thats what happens when you develop something and never order it yourself...).

Will be interesting to see if any new orders are forthcoming for it as they could order the new M777ER with 58cal barrel. That extends range up to 70km... Canada have said they will replenish their stockpile following their supply of 4 guns to Ukraine, I suspect Australia will as well. But those are likely to come from USMC stocks.
That barrel is huge on a towed unit.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Aren't Australia replacing their M777 with the K-9 Thunder? Unlike in the past the Army Reserves are not getting the M777s as hand me downs as the reorganisation of the Army has removed the Artillery from teh Reserves and they now directly mirror Regular units, or so I thought I had read?

SouthernOne
Australia

Post by SouthernOne »

Lord Jim wrote: 11 May 2022, 03:36 Aren't Australia replacing their M777 with the K-9 Thunder? Unlike in the past the Army Reserves are not getting the M777s as hand me downs as the reorganisation of the Army has removed the Artillery from teh Reserves and they now directly mirror Regular units, or so I thought I had read?
I suspect they'll retain the M777 one way or another. K-9 is fine, but a vehicle that size and weight won't be going far during the monsoon season in the tropical north of the continent, or the region to Australia's immediate north.

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

Even if it has just arrived in the front lines in Ukraine the M777 is now truly a TikTok superstar !!!! Unbelievable
These users liked the author leonard for the post:
Lord Jim

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

More video of the M777 howitzer in action in the frontlines in Ukraine this time destroying targets

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

Another video of the M777 howitzer in action in Ukrainian Army service with the carrier vehicle

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

From confronting the above videos is seams that samething was removed from the M777 howitzer ( the picture from the right is a U.S. Marines gun )

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

It's the inertia navigation and GPS unit. The good ones are quite high on the ITAR list. There are usually lower grade ones but doubt they had enough immediately to hand. And unless you're in a GPS conflicted zone, then you can likely do fairly well with civvy GPS.

I'm assuming they're leaving the Ukrainians use low-classification GPS devices, possibly with manual entry.
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post (total 3):
leonardLord JimArmChairCivvy

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

One thing the Ukrainians do have is well trained artillery crews, at least on thhe legacy Russian equipment and so would be quite happy using the simpler sighting systems, supported by hand held GPS and UAS data tp deliver accurate fire, probably more so than the Russians, who still seem wedded to the use of saturation fire. These should result in the Ukrainians being more nimble and the Russian easier to target.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Lord Jim wrote: 15 May 2022, 19:53 One thing the Ukrainians do have is well trained artillery crews, at least on thhe legacy Russian equipment and so would be quite happy using the simpler sighting systems, supported by hand held GPS and UAS data tp deliver accurate fire, probably more so than the Russians, who still seem wedded to the use of saturation fire. These should result in the Ukrainians being more nimble and the Russian easier to target.
Really? There's videos of them ramming the charge on M777 and then dumping the rammers in the dirt. There's Jarhead gunners having meltdowns about it online.
These users liked the author RunningStrong for the post:
Lord Jim

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

As I said, well trained on legacy Russian equipment, that can by design take a lot of punishment and abuse by its users. Using the same principals with western supplied kit is going to highlight any cases of poor practice and they will learn what should and should not be done. At least they will be able to prove how much abuse a M777 can take for future reference for all users moving forward.,

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Lord Jim wrote: 16 May 2022, 13:00 As I said, well trained on legacy Russian equipment, that can by design take a lot of punishment and abuse by its users. Using the same principals with western supplied kit is going to highlight any cases of poor practice and they will learn what should and should not be done. At least they will be able to prove how much abuse a M777 can take for future reference for all users moving forward.,
Do you ram a charge on a D30? I don't think you do...

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

No some of the Russian legacy Guns use a shell casing to hold the charge in a similar way yo how the 105mm Light Gun operates. The casing holds the primer but you can vary the charge in the casing also. More modern Russian guns, especially the later SP weapon systems use a modular charge system similar to what modern western systems do, which is the same as the M777. So the Ukrainians do both and that does no include the semi automatic Anti Tank Guns they also have, either 100mm or the later 125mm.

Any this doesn't stop my belif that the Ukrainians have learned alot sine 2014 on how to operate their artillery and use GPS and UAS together with counter battery radar to have a pretty effective system for engaging targets quickly, and faster then the Russians can respond. They might not be as polished as some NATO artillery crews but they get the job done,

leonard
Italy

Post by leonard »

More precise video from the frontlines in the Donnas of the M777A2 howitzer and information of the missing equipment bellow

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Well the Ukrainians will not be too concerned. As delivered they have received a modern light weight 155mm Gun that as a result is more mobile than their older heavier 152mm and probably faster into and out of action. Also having the TADD fitted would have most likely complicated the training of the Ukrainian crews, as if it had it they would want to be trained to use it and so on.